Florence and Pisa excursions

lynne17

Cruising the med this summer and intend taking a shore excursion to Florence. I am however, considering including Pisa as part of the excursion but can anyone advise whether leaving Florence early in the afternoon to go to Pisa is worthwhile if 'all' there is to see, is the tower and the Field of Miracles. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lynne

I have not done either city on a P & O excursion. But have been to both last year.

We found Florance to be dirty and full of graffiti, but Pisa was lovely and clean, not very big, but well worth the visit for the tower and church.

Hope this helps.

Cruising the med this summer and intend taking a shore excursion to Florence. I am however, considering including Pisa as part of the excursion but can anyone advise whether leaving Florence early in the afternoon to go to Pisa is worthwhile if 'all' there is to see, is the tower and the Field of Miracles. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

We did Pisa last year on a cruise (not P & O) and it was a lovely relaxing afternoon excursion. It was coupled with a visit to Puccini's house and a cruise on the lake next door with music from his operas playing.

You won't get a lot of time to see more than the F.O.M and Tower and wander off for a coffee, but it's not rushed.

You won't get up the tower, it's done by ticket and they only let so many up at once.

We did Florence the year before from a hotel holiday and had a great day there.

I think you will be rushed trying to fit both places in one day.

If you have not been before to either I would opt for Florence.

We'd love to go back and either do Pisa as a city break or stay on the coast in Viareggio and visit both Pisa and Lucca and the Tuscan countryside.

Berwyn

I have done the Florence and Pisa trip.

It is a long day with quite a bit of coach travel even the transfer between Florence and Pisa was about hour - 1 1/2 hrs, ending with just over a hour in Pisa!

We did get a whislestop tour of Florence, then a 3 course lunch then we saw Pisa and the leaning tower, photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/ArcadiaMedCruiseJune07#5084168378485036306

I would say, do one or the other ideally.

There are plenty of trips to Pisa - a half day tour, or Pisa and swim which is combined with a stop at a beach.

Then Florence only if you want to do just Florence....but both is tiring with not enough time in either place....but it was quite enjoyable.

Thanks for the advice. I did actually think that trying to do both would be very tiring and not allow enough time in either place. Now just have to decide which one to do!!! Thanks again

Lynne

Thanks for the advice. I did actually think that trying to do both would be very tiring and not allow enough time in either place. Now just have to decide which one to do!!! Thanks again

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I was thinking if you have got other ports of call where you can see old mediaeval buildings or ruins the Puccini's lake and Pisa would be a nice relaxing change, otherwise go for Florence, the whole centre is a living museum.

Berwyn

Archived