Trip Insurance - Trip Delay - How much do I need?

SJChaput

I am in a position where I am basically forced to fly down the day of my cruise and because I am so nervous about a flight delay I have decided to get insurance.

I am looking at three different policies all offering accommodation expenses of $250 a day but have different maximum limits.

According to the fine print it is the maximum coverage that is going to get me to the boat at the next port.

One of the policies covers up to a maximum of $500 each, the others $750 each and $1500 each for trip delay.

How much do you think I need to stay in Tampa for two nights and be flown to the Caymans to catch the ship?

What is your airport, connections and timeline?

You probably need to figure something like $100/nite for hotel room, $75pp/pd food, some local taxi money and probably $300pp flite to Caymen. Seems the$750 max ought to do it. Take a good look at CSA Freestyle for decently high coverages and decent premiums. ken

Go to a travel site like www.hotels.com , www.travelocity.com , or www.expedia.com and do a fake booking for a one way flight from Tampa to Georgetown Grand Cayman and two night hotel stay in Grand Cayman. That's how much coverage you need.

No offense to the nice people of Tampa, but if I were to miss the ship, the last place I want to be is in the city where I missed the ship. I'd rather be on the island waiting for the ship to show up.

Based on your gluttony post, you may want to get a policy that has medical and medivac coverage as well.

Vegasman has an excellent point - plan on booking first flite to Caymens and an adequate hotel in the Caymens and enjoy the expense-paid delay. In this case you'll need the higher coverages for more expensive hotel & food in Caymens. ken

Archived