Montreal Hotel/Bed Breakfast Post Cruise

Disclaimer: I run a B&B... so I'm not unbiased.

The airport is about a 25 to 30 minute drive from downtown Montreal in a suburb that we call Dorval. If you want to see the distance, go to http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Rue+Quai-King-Edward,+Montreal,+QC&geocode=&dirflg=&daddr=YUL&f=d&dq=Rue+loc:+Quai-King-Edward,+Montreal,+QC&sll=45.511838,-73.558419&sspn=0.032329,0.0207&ie=UTF8&z=12

The port is in Old Montreal, the highest price real estate in Montreal. Close to everything and just as expensive. The port area (Old Montreal) is part of the sights of Montreal. Officially (since all B&Bs in Quebec are officially rated) there are no B&Bs in Old Montreal, only hotels. You can go to http://www.bonjourquebec.com/us-en/recherche/recherche_hebergement.php?langue=en&typerecherche=HEBERGEMENT&region=&municipalite=&cat=&mot_cle=&cat2=10813&classification=&BQC_REGIONID=3432 and do a search, choose Montreal and then in the drop down choose Montreal (Montreal-Old Montreal).

Ask if you need more help.

We stayed at the Nelligan last spring and thought it lovely. It is near the port, on the oldest street in Montreal so a great location for walking which we enjoy! It is in two old buildings which have been restored, has a nice reception in the afternoon as well as breakfast. It is listed as one of the best hotels but we found it reasonable as Montreal hotels go!

We have a son at McGill and are huge fans of the Ste Sulpice, which is, I think, right across the street from the Nelligan. We've stayed there several times and are always happy with it.

If you want to splurge, we like to eat at Pierre du Calvet, which is in a 250 year old house. They have a small inn upstairs and apparently a lot of major stars stay there when in Montreal. The restaurant is quite intimate but arranged to be private as well. We have eaten dinner next to Richard Gere and Tiger Woods.

Viv

I will add comments about the Nelligan! I had called ahead to ask if they would store our luggage as I thought we might arrive before check in. When we arrived they checked us in and invited us to the continental breakfast which gave us a head start on our day! [Not that we were hungry after 14 days with HAL] When we were ready to go to the airport they collected our luggage and had a taxi waiting at the door! Great service!

All of those properties are hotels, not bed and breakfasts. And they are all relatively expensive at that. They are all top notch hotels.

That's not what I'm looking for (or can afford) I'm looking for something I can get on priceline, any suggestions?

Thanks

Other than my own B&B and a number of B&Bs in the Latin Quarter, the Village and the Plateau, there are a number of hotels on Priceline.

I've looked at the list and for me it is clearly evident why they are on Priceline, most of the hotels on Priceline's list aren't anything special, just big anonymous hotels.

The hotels people suggested are wonderful and beautiful hotels. Some of them are the best hotels in their class. But real estate in Old Montreal is also some of the most expensive per square foot in the Canada as well.

Give me an idea of what you are looking for in the way of price and quality and any amenities that are must-have and I will come up with a few B&Bs that will suit.... all of which by law must include breakfast.

Quebec has a strict rating system for B&Bs, Hotels and all other establishments. They are regularly verified and rerated. A 3 sun B&B is comparable to another 3 sun B&B, the difference is mainly in the realm of amenities and breakfast, space and location. Even location can change the rating of a B&B.

The difference between a hotel and a B&B is mainly the difference between being in a commercial district and being in a residential district. Hotels are large and inpersonal and if that is what you want, there are plenty. B&Bs are more personal and quieter because they are residential.

Archived