Portage Glacier - Boat Tour

gaenzebluemchen

If you only had time for one, would you recommend a Portage boat trip or visit Exit Glacier?

It depends on how energetic you're feeling. If you want a relaxing glacier-view then Portage is the easy choice. If you feel like going for a hike, Exit can be better - or you could hike into Byron Glacier, a half-mile from the Portage boat dock. The times I've been to Exit there are just too many people unless you head up the steep hiking trail around it.

An added bonus if you take the Portage tour is the nearby Begich Boggs Visitor Center at Portage Glacier. Its run by the Forestry Department and it is free. There are many nice displays and also 'hands on' information booths which give a narative. 5 stars in my book, its a must I bring my relatives to when they visit. I did go on the boat tour once, and it was just fine. Right up to the glacier, and lots of floating ice chunks around to make you think you just might get stuck! Perfect choice for those who don't wish to venture on the bigger waters, or don't have much time. :)

Archived