cabins on Island Escape

tuppence

Hi wondering if anyone can help us re cabins on 3/4 deck. we are going on the Canary Islands cruise and want to do it as economically as we can cos its an extra cruise for us but after reading good reports on Island Escape we decided to book a holiday this november. We usually like a balcony but are very happy to have a sea view but would like a picture window not a porthole can anyone tell us if outside cabins on floors 3/4 have a large window and if they are reasonably quiet etc. Will be very grateful for replies Thanks:)

Hi wondering if anyone can help us re cabins on 3/4 deck. we are going on the Canary Islands cruise and want to do it as economically as we can cos its an extra cruise for us but after reading good reports on Island Escape we decided to book a holiday this november. We usually like a balcony but are very happy to have a sea view but would like a picture window not a porthole can anyone tell us if outside cabins on floors 3/4 have a large window and if they are reasonably quiet etc. Will be very grateful for replies Thanks:)

Hi Tuppence,

We were on her last April but we had a balcony cabin as it was wife's 50th birthday. If you're down on 3 or 4 you'll have a porthole. :( But at least you'll have daylight. If you want a window you'll need to be on decks 5 upwards.

The cabins themselves should be the same inside as ours though.

Mind you we were on her in April last year and it was too cold to use the balcony much, we might as well have had an outside cabin.

We were on deck 9 right under the Beachcomber 24 hour restaurant and we didn't get disturbed by them.

Have you seen the deckplans for her on the Thomson's website?

I've posted pics of our cabin interior on here also. You'll find the link in my thread Island Escape photos.

http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cruise/viewShipDeckPlans.do

Berwyn

Had a great cruise on the Escape to Brazil. Was high up in Deck terms - must have been at least 3 or 4. But only had a porthole. It was very quiet.

Just returned from another great cruise on the sister ship - Island Star- round the Caribbean islands. Disappointed to see that it was an inside cabin but strangely never missed the porthole. Might have been different if I'd had a window previously.

thanks a lot for your replies about our cabin selection. In the end we paid extra and went for deck 6 so we could have a picture window. Think I may feel a bit claustraphobic with just a porthole and our friends felt happier being higher up as well. We're all really looking forward to the cruise in november and just got our fingers crossed for the weather!:)

thanks a lot for your replies about our cabin selection. In the end we paid extra and went for deck 6 so we could have a picture window. Think I may feel a bit claustraphobic with just a porthole and our friends felt happier being higher up as well. We're all really looking forward to the cruise in november and just got our fingers crossed for the weather!:)

You'll be better up there Tuppence, even though the cabin's no bigger.

And you won't have wasted cash on a balcony if the weather's too cool to use it, like us last year.

If you really want great views do what we did and go up to the Lookout Bar right up at the top of the ship. It's got huge wrap round windows and is lovely to relax and sit with a drink in the evenings and get fantastic views.

We hardly spent any time in the cabin apart from sleeping, a quick lie down after coming back tired from an excursion and washing.

One of the girls in work has just done this cruise (but on the Celebration) and really enjoyed it. And we'll be on her after you in December

Berwyn

Thanks a lot Berwyn the Lookout Bar sounds a great idea and good to know someone has done and enjoyed the cruise. :)

Yes that was handy to find out about, she went just before Christmas.

I'd love to do it and stay for a week after in a hotel. Never been to Madeira or the Canaries.

I'm looking forward more to this one than the one in June with Royal carribean

Berwyn

Hi I have jst booked a cruise on the Island escape for October 2010

This is to celebrate my hubby's 60th birthday and our 40thwedding anniversary:p then go to Callor Bona Levante hotel for a week

This is our first time cruising as hubby don't fancy getting over dressed for evening meal:( we have booked deck 7 outside cabin just up from the front lift . hope we have made a good choice?Would appreciate any imformation regards the ship,and sight seeing without the aranged trips .I am semi dissabled and mostly need the use of a wheelchair .

thanks Barbara

Hi I have jst booked a cruise on the Island escape for October 2010

This is to celebrate my hubby's 60th birthday and our 40thwedding anniversary:p then go to Callor Bona Levante hotel for a week

This is our first time cruising as hubby don't fancy getting over dressed for evening meal:( we have booked deck 7 outside cabin just up from the front lift . hope we have made a good choice?Would appreciate any imformation regards the ship,and sight seeing without the aranged trips .I am semi dissabled and mostly need the use of a wheelchair .

thanks Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Nice which itinerary are you doing? We did the Med Spirit cruise last year.

If you look through Stargazer666 Newbies thread on here I posted a lot of info for him.

And on my other threads I've posted Picture links and A.I drinks list.

Looking at the website, brochure and ThomsonTV Channel on Sky it looks like Thomsons have not changed the style of the ship since they took it over fully last October.

It looks a good choice of cabin, at least you've got cabins above and below you so you won't be under a noisy night spot.

We really enjoyed the ship as it was relaxed and no need to dress up unless you want to.

One night we sat next to an elderly couple who sed to cruise with Cunard and other big posh cruise lines in the past. She said it was lovely that she didn't have to dress up as she was getting too old for it. And they'd have to take outfits for at least 2 formal nights on the other cruise lines.

The night entertainment was fun, more Pontins /Butlins than west end.

I can't help with excursions not done through the cruise line as the only one we did on our own was Barcelona on the hop on hop off bus.

Any more info you want or pics, (I sent a load by email to gillo), you can contact me at

berwynthomas@aol.com or I'll post more stuff on here if you prefer.

Berwyn

hi, didn't expect a answer so soon as you can see i am also new to this and sent it to wrong place never mind.

our itinery is PALMA,SICILY PALEMO.NAPLES,CORSICA AJACCIO,TOULAN FRANCE,BARCELONA.

MY 2 BROTHERS GO ON THE BIG LINERS ALL DRESSED UP BUT NOT FOR US!

THANKS AGAIN BARDUNC

our itinery is PALMA,SICILY PALEMO.NAPLES,CORSICA AJACCIO,TOULAN FRANCE,BARCELONA.

MY 2 BROTHERS GO ON THE BIG LINERS ALL DRESSED UP BUT NOT FOR US!

THANKS AGAIN BARDUNC

Hi Barbara,

No problem, as there are not many of us on this one it's easy to find new posts.

We're like you, like to be casual and relaxed on our holidays.

when we went to Sicly last year we stopped the other side in Messina so i can't help with Palermo.

In Naples most people tend to head to Pompeii, Heiculanum or the Amalfi drive and Sorrento. I don't know how you can manage with the uneven cobbles in the ruins though in the 1st 2.

I have seen people on other boards do private tours with local firms but you need on average about 6 people in the car/ minibus to make it cost effective.

I haven't been to Corsica for over 40 years :eek:, God that makes me feel old. I was about 14 on a school educational cruise.

It was lovely from what I remember.

Toulon is only a port town, it's the port for the French Navy and there's nothing to see there, so you need an excursion out of there. We were there on a Sunday and the town was dead.

Barcelona if you can get on the hop on hop off bus, if you can get on it. you could see most of the city and get commentary. It stops right outsiode the port entrance.

I take it you let them know you have mobility probs when you booked? So they should be able to help you with excursions.

Berwyn

Archived