Tea Time

panda24

What is the afternoon tea usually like? It was one of my favorite parts of doing a study abroad in London and I'm hoping to have something that is reminiscent. We'll be on Golden Princess to Alaska.

Wonderful is what it's like!! A server comes along with a box of various teas and you choose. He pours. You enjoy. Also, they have nice cookies and scones to munch on. Really wonderful stuff. DW and I never miss it. It is a nice afternoon break. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Cheers, Kenn

You said the magic word - scones!!! I can't wait!!

Yeah, these were something my DW told me about and even though we have been to England many times, I had not experienced the wonder that is a scone. I have since remedied that situation. Luckily there is a British Tea house here in the suburbs of San Antonio. Absolutely wonderful tea ans scones. They also make a mean cucumber sandwich and a great Egg Salad sandwich. I just ate lunch and now I'm getting hungry again!!

Cheers, Kenn

I was wondering if they had sandwiches for tea time, but it sounds like they don't. One of my friends really enjoyed the crumpets (I wasn't too wild about those).....do they serve their tea traditional British style with milk/cream?

If you make it back to London there is a very great tea shop and very reasonable off Kensington High Street called the Muffin Man.

Not sure if we will get back there (one can always hope) as there is so much more of the world we want to see. I can remember that they serve the tea without anything in it though, obviously, you can add those things you wish. Personally I like straight Earl Grey. But I alwasy try something new and have yet to have any tea I didn't like. In fact, a visit to afternoon tea on the Conquest out of Galveston in 2006 is what got me off coffee. I had forgotten how much I loved tea. Now I have some Earl Grey's everyday at work. Just one cup. Only drink coffee on Saturday and Sundays now.

Cheers, Kenn

You are lucky. Whenever on Princess I asked for cucumber sandwich the reply was always the same -- "tomorrow" (which of course never comes)!

They also make a mean cucumber sandwich and a great Egg Salad sandwich.

Cheers, Kenn

Scones for afternoon tea

Recipe392.jpeg

2 cups all-purpose flour (SR Flour)

¼ tsp baking soda

3/4 Tbs baking powder

1 tsp salt

4 ½ Tbs butter

3/4 cup buttermilk

Sift the dry ingredients in a large bowl and cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or with two knives until a coarse meal texture is obtained. Add buttermilk and knead lightly. The dough should be soft but not sticky: if it is, add a little more flour.

Preheat the oven to 230°C. Roll out the dough 1cm thick on a lightly floured surface and cut with a scone/biscuit cutter. (If you don't have one, a drinking glass of the desired diameter will work okay.) Transfer scones to a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes.

Serve with strawberry spread (jam) & cream

Hmmm....how interesting. I have read of scones many times, and always had the impression it was something of a sweet biscuit. Actually looking forward to tea time on the Spirit, but must admit, your recipe sounds like the same thing we use for a good old fashion southern biscuit served with gravy, sausage, grits, and eggs. Although many a southerner has been known to put jam and jelly on the biscuits too...yum....I am getting hungry.

Hi ya, krogerlady

well not sure what you yanks put on your scones/biscuits but we have good old jam & cream on ours here in OZ.

But have been know to make savoury ones by adding cheese, herbs, mustard. Eating with soups, casseroles or just butter. So can't see why not able to eat the good old southern way! :-) Share your recipe?

Anyways hope you give the scones a try. ENJOY!

Bubbs & Blues ;)

You are lucky. Whenever on Princess I asked for cucumber sandwich the reply was always the same -- "tomorrow" (which of course never comes)!

Yep, we are lucky and in San Antonio of all places. Who would have thought it. Actually it is a pretty cosmopolitan place becasue of all us retired Air Force folks. Next time I have a cucumber sandwich, I'll think of you.

Cheers, Kenn

I think DW's nephew is currently based there. He has had a few safe support trips to Iraq. I will suggest it to him.

Yep, we are lucky and in San Antonio of all places. Who would have thought it. Actually it is a pretty cosmopolitan place becasue of all us retired Air Force folks. Next time I have a cucumber sandwich, I'll think of you.

Cheers, Kenn

I think DW's nephew is currently based there. He has had a few safe support trips to Iraq. I will suggest it to him.

The actual name of the place is the British Tea Room and it is located in the small town of Bracken out near the Retama Race track. It's a ladies type place but the food is wonderful. Trust me when I tell you portion size is amazing. Your DW's nephew will have a second meal from it for sure.

Cheers, Kenn 57 days till Alsaka woo hoo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hmmm....how interesting. I have read of scones many times, and always had the impression it was something of a sweet biscuit. Actually looking forward to tea time on the Spirit, but must admit, your recipe sounds like the same thing we use for a good old fashion southern biscuit served with gravy, sausage, grits, and eggs. Although many a southerner has been known to put jam and jelly on the biscuits too...yum....I am getting hungry.

Oh no - scones are quite different than our good ol' fashioned Southern biscuits. Biscuits are light and fluffy. Me personally I like them with lots of butter and sugar or a bit of chocolate (yes I said chocolate) gravy. But scones are denser and they do have the savory and the sweet variet. I absolutely love them!! :D

Kenn I am in SA also where is this tea place, I am dying to know!

Please forgive the late response. I didn't notice it. The easiet way to tell you how to get there is to take I-35 to 3009. Go left on Nacogdoches and watch on your (I think) left side. It is in the area where all the other restaurants are. Another way to get here is to go to the Rolling Oaks mall and take Nacogdoches away from 1604 (east) and tafter you cross the tracks keep your eyes peeled!!

Again, very sorry for the late response. I hate work! It interferes with my cruising!!

Cheers, Kenn

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived