Tip for early disembarkation/late flight for Barcelonaa

rool

We had the unfortunate timing last week of being of the ship at 8.30am but our flight back was 9.30pm.

Not wanting to sit at the airport for 12 hours, or even 8 hours if we took the ship tour, we tried to ask if there was luggage storage at either the airport or station. No one seemed to know for definite but thought there was some at the station but not the airport for security issues.

After an hour of queueing(?), actually it didn't occur to me until nearly in our cab that we should have walked to a nearby less busy terminal, but I digress :D. We got our cab, the driver not speaking english, me not speaking spanish but I managed to get the point that we wanted to deposit our luggage and spend time in the city. I couldn't understand what he was saying but worked out that the message was that there was no storage at the station so airport it was. I was a bit peed of at this because a) I didn't want to be at the airport all day and b) I had assumed the driver just wanted a fare to the airport rather than one just to the Station.

Resigned to our fate the driver took us to the airport and started pointing to a building opposite terminal B. to our relief it was a left luggage service.

For €4.20 for 24 hours you can deposit two mid size cases and some hand luggage in secure lockers. This left us luggage free to go back, by bus which runs every six minutes, to the city and enjoy the rest of the day. Just a shame it was good friday and most of the shops were closed :D.

Sorry for all the preamble but someone might find it useful.

Resigned to our fate the driver took us to the airport and started pointing to a building opposite terminal B. to our relief it was a left luggage service.

For €4.20 for 24 hours you can deposit two mid size cases and some hand luggage in secure lockers. This left us luggage free to go back, by bus which runs every six minutes, to the city and enjoy the rest of the day. Just a shame it was good friday and most of the shops were closed :D.

This is great advice for any of my fellow Scots travelling directly from Barcelona to Glasgow between 12 May and 27 October this year with a scheduled departure time of 22:15 or Barcelona to Edinburgh mid week between 12 May and 29 October with departure time 19:10 on Tuesdays or 20:00 on Thursdays.

Thanks for posting it ;)

Excellent post. We will be in this situation May 14th when we get off the Navigator. The wifes sister and her husband have to fly at 10.45 and we don't fly till 19.15. We want to make sure they get to the airport in time for the flight as we have paid for the cruise and flight as a present. WE had expected to spend the day lounging around the Airport.

How did you get from the port to the airport?

Hi, we took the taxi from the terminal, it took about 15 minutes and cost €32 incl bag charges and tip. The worst bit was the queue for the taxis. Like I said there are usually taxis at the other terminals at Barcelona so might be worth someone having a quick look and hot footing it to make it a bit quicker.

I also forgot to say you can have extra lockers at the €4.20 and there were also smaller ones at a lower price. We had two lockers which easily held the cases and hand luggage for all four of us.

It's all very clever stuff. The building is just like a locker room at a swimming baths. You have to pass your luggage through a scanner, the same type as hand luggage at the airport and there are security staff present to help if you have difficulties. There is an ATM type terminal in the middle of each section of lockers. You find an open locker and put your stuff in and close the door, no key!. The terminal (which can be set to four different languages) prompts you to put your money in and then prints out a slip with your code number to open the locker when you go back. I inputed this number into my mobile just incase I lost the slip :D.

The only thing I am not sure about is what happens if you wanted to add something to the locker later in the day. I suspect you wuld have to pay again for another code.

I researched that too before travelling, hence why I'm not totally convinced the driver wasn't just after the extra fare. I didn't have the language to argue it at the time. However, on balance, it was good to get rid of the bags at the beginning of the day and even when we got back to the airport we didn't need to collect them until just before the check out desk opened. This meant we could eat and drink at the airport without keeping an eye on the bags.

Archived