Need help choosing obstructed view cabin on NCL Dawn

dgard5th

Hi everyone! We're looking to go on one of the Canada/NE cruises on the Dawn in September. Normally, we're balcony people, but with this itinerary you're in port sooooo much that we thought we'd try an outside view room instead. I'm very intrigued by the "obstructed view" rooms on Deck 8 (Category G, light grey on the deck plans). We're more interested in just having sunlight in the room than having a "view" per se, so those seem like a great option. We won't be in the room that much. But we do like our peace and quiet.

Does anyone have experiences they can share about these rooms?

Also, it appears there are a handful of rooms that are positioned "sideways" (like 8620, 8118, etc.) How are those set up? Are there any advantages to those rooms?

How much can you hear from Deck 7 below? I know some rooms are over the Dazzles lounge, which I would probably avoid, but what about the ones over the restaurants or the Pub? Do you hear a lot of noise in your stateroom?

We're first timers to NCL (prior cruises all on RCCL) so any other hints would be much appreciated. Thanks much!!

Well we couldn't wait anymore, so we booked 8096 - starboard side, doesn't appear to be over a restaurant or lounge. It is obstructed view, but saw some pictures on cruisestateroom.com and they don't look so bad. We'll be out and about most of the time anyway!

Any experiences with this room or ones nearby, please let me know.

dgard5th:

We will be on Star, which is the identical fleet, on June 6 to 13, in cabin #8096, I will let you know after our cruise, if there isn't anyone on the board that have been at that cabin from now till our cruise!

Usually noise travels down not up, so you should be okay. Even if the obstruction is total with zero view, you will still see sunlight.

Sound traveled in a sphere from it's source. It is more pronounced in the direction sent, but it can be detected in all directions from the source factoring in the density of anything in the sound wave's path.

However, if there is a 'total obstruction with zero view' I'd think you'd not be able to see anything except the obstruction?

Well we couldn't wait anymore, so we booked 8096 - starboard side, doesn't appear to be over a restaurant or lounge. It is obstructed view, but saw some pictures on cruisestateroom.com and they don't look so bad. We'll be out and about most of the time anyway!

Any experiences with this room or ones nearby, please let me know.

Just hope that gray under you on deck 7 isn't the kitchen for the nearby restaurants...but I don't think any of them serve breakfast so you should be okay.

We had 8582. It's the worst - very noisy. Since this experience I always book on level 9 and up.

As for noise, I'll match our experience in 8562 against anything ;)

Great view, in fact 0% obstructed which is pretty good for an obstructed cabin :D, but there seems to be some sort of maintenance room against one wall and they seem to allow shotguns to be discharged in it LOL. I swear to God, it can be so shocking when it happens you can wet yourself.

No problems at all with noise from above or below

Edited by mbisson

I recently was in 8566 on the Dawn, yes it is obstucted, part of the lifeboat is in front of you, but no big deal. But that room was very noisy, and you get noise from above as well as below. Part of Dazzles was below and they had Kareokee every night from ten to midnight, then more music. I loved the location in regards to the center of things and near the elevators, but next time would have chosen something near venues that are quieter. Still had a fabulous time so enjoy your trip.

Hi,

We just got back from our trip on the Dawn. We were at cabin 8572. Our cabin was great, but it was below Dazzles, so we heard loud music one nigth. I would recomend to be on the same area but three or four cabins toward the center or the boat.

We had a great time...enjoy.

• 4 years later...
We had 8582. It's the worst - very noisy. Since this experience I always book on level 9 and up.

We are booked in 8582 on the Star for a Transatlantic repositioning cruise with our baby. The noise doesn't bother me as much as size/layout. It looks bigger on the map. Did you feel like it was a larger room?

Thanks,

Tim

• 6 months later...
We are booked in 8582 on the Star for a Transatlantic repositioning cruise with our baby. The noise doesn't bother me as much as size/layout. It looks bigger on the map. Did you feel like it was a larger room?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi I am in this room in October on the Dawn what is the layout

Thank you