places to watch ships leave port?

ilovecraig929

i think i've heard of other people doing this. arent there some restaurants or places that you can be and watch the other ships leave the port before your cruise? like the magic is leaving the saturday before we leave on sunday and i was thinking what better way to get into the cruising spirit than to watch a disney ship pull out!

I recommend Jetty Park. We're going there this evening to watch the ship go out. Its a local beach park with a long jetty for fishing or watching the ships. If you are looking for a restaurant, Rusty's is probably your best bet since the Disney ship always sounds her horn by Rusty's and again next to Jetty park.

I recommend Jetty Park. We're going there this evening to watch the ship go out. Its a local beach park with a long jetty for fishing or watching the ships. If you are looking for a restaurant, Rusty's is probably your best bet since the Disney ship always sounds her horn by Rusty's and again next to Jetty park.

Keep in mind, it also depends on whos on the bridge (Which Captain I mean) at the time. From all of the Disney trips I have been on, the Capt has hit those magical notes every couple of seconds to the point of, it was cool the first 2 or 3 times,and after that it was, ok you can stop now. (After the 9th or 10th time) to once as the ship left the dock. Just wanted to give a heads up so you are not disapointed if they dont hit the horns on the way out (Slim that they wont)

Jetty park is a good place to watch, but keep in mind also, that the park will have a lot of other families out there watching the ships leave. A restaurant would be a better bet if you can get a table near the water.

We're partial to 'Grills' restaurant, right on the channel about halfway between the terminal and Jetty Park. Very good food, plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, and a great view of the ships as they come and go.

Re: the ship's horn - - we've been on 3 DCL cruises so far, and the horn was only sounded one time on each trip when leaving the port - - when the ship pulled away from the dock. Never heard it again until we arrived at the first port of call. And we've had three different Captains.

We're partial to 'Grills' restaurant, right on the channel about halfway between the terminal and Jetty Park. Very good food, plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, and a great view of the ships as they come and go.

Re: the ship's horn - - we've been on 3 DCL cruises so far, and the horn was only sounded one time on each trip when leaving the port - - when the ship pulled away from the dock. Never heard it again until we arrived at the first port of call. And we've had three different Captains.

+1 for Grills.

IMG_0195.jpg

i think i've heard of other people doing this. arent there some restaurants or places that you can be and watch the other ships leave the port before your cruise? like the magic is leaving the saturday before we leave on sunday and i was thinking what better way to get into the cruising spirit than to watch a disney ship pull out!

That's a great way to get more excited before your cruise.

Last summer my family sailed on the Vision of the Seas out of Long Beach. Before departure, while we were on deck, the Disney Magic sailed by. We could hear the sailaway party blasting on deck then they let loose the "fancy whistle" and all I could think was that we were on the wrong ship.

It was made worse when all week the Disney Magic was at the same ports as we, just rubbing it in! Fortunately for you, you'll be on the right ship.

We were at Grills the night before a cruise. The Disney ship horn went off as it was passing by. DH said, "We are going to go with the kids on that ship!" We leave in 4 weeks!

There is a deck outside the restaurant you can wait and watch. Most leave around 4:30ish. Magic left port yesterdat at 4:57. I watched it on the web cam.

Archived