Cigar afficianados...

eatrowdie

I'm going to be in cozumel on december 14 aboard NCL Spirit. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of good places to buy cuban cigars. are they readily available in liquor stores and the like? if so, are the "cubans" available in those places real, or should i seek out a reputable tobacconist? also, so i have an idea of my bargaining position, what should i expect to pay for a typical cuban robusto? Thanks for any suggestions.

The only place I would suggest going to for real cubans is the Havana Club. It is located along Melgar (the main road by the water) between about 6th and 8th. Yes, other place selling cigars cheaper and claim that what they are selling is cuban but that is not always/ever correct.

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am departing next Saturday on the Grand and we will be in Cozumel on Thursday 16 Dec. I spend my entire day in Cozumel at Havana Clun and I have been told That Havana Club has closed its 2nd floor location between 6th and 8th along Melgar. Does anyone know if this is true and if so where has the Havana Club moved too or are they closed for good.

Thanks, Majcigar

Like you, I went to Cozumel hoping to buy a few Cuban cigars to enjoy while on board. All I can say is don't have high expectations about price or quality. (I never made it to the Havana Club, so I can't vouch for them). I bought three Cubans at a couple different places and found the prices high and the quality low. Two of them were rolled so tight that I needed a Hoover to get any smoke out them. The other burned down one side and kept guttering out. These weren't Cohibas, but I still paid $6-8 apiece. The best cigar I had on the cruise (and one of the best I've ever smoked) I bought from a Cuban man named Angel Garcia who keeps a small table on Duvall Street. I think this only proved what some of my cigar smoking friends have told me: the best growers and rollers left Cuba many years ago and now live in places like the Dominican and Key West. Good luck.

If you can find Havana Club in Cozumel it is well worth the trip. They have the only guarenteed cuban cigars in Cozumel. I spend the whole day there while my wife is shopping.

The place is great. Now I just have to find where they moved too.

Jeff

As of two weeks ago Havana Club had temporarily moved in with Guido's, a restaurant on the waterfront about 3 blocks north of the plaza. This was in preparation for their move to a new location. Their staff could not confirm where it would be and I left a note for the owner to call me. She never did. I have a friend writing a Coz guidebook to be printed shortly and he needed this information. Rumor has it that it will be at the end of the ferry dock (Avenida Juarez) on the waterfront, but I can't confirm it.

As of two weeks ago Havana Club had temporarily moved in with Guido's, a restaurant on the waterfront about 3 blocks north of the plaza. This was in preparation for their move to a new location. Their staff could not confirm where it would be and I left a note for the owner to call me. She never did. I have a friend writing a Coz guidebook to be printed shortly and he needed this information. Rumor has it that it will be at the end of the ferry dock (Avenida Juarez) on the waterfront, but I can't confirm it.

I will be there on December 16. Do you think they will still be in with Guido's? Also, what can I expect to pay for a Partagas Series D, No. 4, or an equivalent robusto at the Havana Club. Thanks for all the input.

I will be there on December 16. Do you think they will still be in with Guido's? Also, what can I expect to pay for a Partagas Series D, No. 4, or an equivalent robusto at the Havana Club. Thanks for all the input.

I will be there also on 16 Dec. Are you on the Grand Princess? You can expect to pay around $20 for a Series D. Great Cigar!!

Jeff

Archived