Anyone Just off Conquest (4/12-4/19)

TexasGLS

Had read some posts mentioning that the stabilizers were not working the week or two before last weeks sailing. Did anyone notice rough seas? Just curious, we are on the 4/26 sailing.

Also, is construction on 45 to galveston still bad?

I cant answer the stabilizer question, i was last on the conquest last november, but I was just in Glaveston on the ecstacy and there is no trouble getting into or out of galveston on 45. I dont recall any construction on the highway once your past downtown houston. It seems all the road work was being done north of town.

I was on this cruise (4/12-4/19). This has been my 4th Western Caribbean cruise in 7 years, and to be honest, it was the roughest that I have experienced (I have also sailed on the Pride, Valor, and Liberty). The only difference was, I was in a balcony cabin on the Empress Deck towards the front of the ship, almost right under the bridge- not sure if that made a difference or not. The first couple of days, there was a LOT of movement. Towards the middle of the cruise, I didn't feel as much movement, but again towards the end of the cruise, especially on the last day, I felt quite a bit of movement as well. I still feel like I am rocking! I wouldn't say that it was so bad that I didn't enjoy myself, but it was definitely more noticable than cruises I have taken in the past. I thought that I had gotten seasick the first day, but instead, I think I may have caught a 24 hour bug because my husband and my mother in law also seemed to catch a 24 hour bug during the cruise. The only people in my party who didn't were my father in law and my 11-month old son.

I wouldn't be surprized if there was a problem with the stabilizers.

Hey Cajunguy, just read your review. I was always curious about those aft balcony cabins and would like to try one someday. Glad that you guys had fun. I know what you're saying about being on a ship and that they move (duh) but I just felt that in comparison to other cruises that I have done, that this one rocked a lot more than others that I have been on.

Oh, also wanted to mention that yes, there is still construction going on on the I-45. The ride back to Houston would normally take an hour, but it took us about one hour and 45 minutes due to the contruction where the freeway went down to one lane (going northbound right after the 610 exit) just a few miles before reaching the city. It also looked like Southbound traffic was tied up too. Going to the ship (we left at 11am) was a breeze, until we got to EZ Park and there was a line to get in, which took about 30 minutes.

I am too new to the Houston area to know about any good alternate routes.

Hey Cajunguy, just read your review. I was always curious about those aft balcony cabins and would like to try one someday. Glad that you guys had fun. I know what you're saying about being on a ship and that they move (duh) but I just felt that in comparison to other cruises that I have done, that this one rocked a lot more than others that I have been on.

I know you knew that. I was just pulling your leg a little. I am begining to thing everyone has there own experiance even on the same cruise ;)

I was going to take the ferry back towards Baton Rouge but that was a bad choice. I asked my GPS for an alternate route and it took me to hwy 146 I think it was, and hit I 10 at Baytown. It was very smooth, quick route.

We were on the 4/12-4/19 mid ship on deck 8 balcony and the last day I just about needed Dramamine as it rocked pretty good. I still feel that the are not using the stabilizers just to save fuel. All in all, it was still a great cruise!

Hi, there!! We did the 04-12-2009 on Conquest as well. This was our 8th/ 9th cruise that included a return trip from Cozumel through the central Gulf. On every one of those trips, across 5 different ships, the return leg was always the 'roughest' part of the passage. I suppose it's related to the Easterlies, but the ships all tend to 'lean to port' on the return journey. Also, on the way 'down' that part of the journey is over night.....so more likely to be sleeping through that section of the Gulf. In any case we learned early on to always either do the 'patch' or Bonine (just in case) Green in not my color. We had a super time on Conquest, and in fact booked Fascination out of Jacksonville for July 20 while on Conquest. If you are regular cruiser, the rates they were offering on the boat were better than any we had been able to get from our Carnival PVP, PLUS you get the OBC on top of the great rate. I hope everyone sailing on Conquest in the future has a Bon Voyage :) :)

I was on this cruise (4/12-4/19). This has been my 4th Western Caribbean cruise in 7 years, and to be honest, it was the roughest that I have experienced (I have also sailed on the Pride, Valor, and Liberty). The only difference was, I was in a balcony cabin on the Empress Deck towards the front of the ship, almost right under the bridge- not sure if that made a difference or not. The first couple of days, there was a LOT of movement. Towards the middle of the cruise, I didn't feel as much movement, but again towards the end of the cruise, especially on the last day, I felt quite a bit of movement as well. I still feel like I am rocking! I wouldn't say that it was so bad that I didn't enjoy myself, but it was definitely more noticable than cruises I have taken in the past. I thought that I had gotten seasick the first day, but instead, I think I may have caught a 24 hour bug because my husband and my mother in law also seemed to catch a 24 hour bug during the cruise. The only people in my party who didn't were my father in law and my 11-month old son.

I wouldn't be surprized if there was a problem with the stabilizers.

My wife got that same bug the last night, was running a pretty high fever all night long and finnaly broke it in the morning. That 3 hr delay ended up being a blessing in disguise, she was able to sleep in for a while and felt better.

I can only compare my sailing experiences with military vessels, so this one was a piece of cake... but yeah I still had my sea legs last night. I thought the first day and the last night were the worst, but got through them ok.

Great trip! Now I need to go through my 850+ pictures :eek:

Archived