fish extender the ummmm non-sewing type

dis2cruise

sorry a non-sewer here LOL...anyway I would love to make my own fish extender and not buy from ebay. I do remember years ago seeing something about making one with fabric glue but not sure. can anyone help me and explain how to make one??

thanks

cheryl

The one I saw with directions on disboards, looked pretty complicated to me. It involved some sort of iron bonding, folding and pleating, I'm not that crafty. After looking at all the supplies needed and thinking of cost, I decided to buy one from ebay. I got a smaller one (2 pockets) for just under $25 including shipping. I figured all the items needed to make one (I had none of it on hand) was bound to cost at least $20, so for a few more $$$ I got a MUCH nicer one than I could make.

here is what I found for you. You can just use as a guide line and make your own decals or decorations for it. I found some disney themed material in a remnant bin once so got a great buy on it. Mine only cost me about $12 to make, I will look for a photo of it and post it if I can find it.

These ar enot my directions but i found them on another site and thought they could help you.

Supplies:

2 yards of fabric (two colors – one yard each)

Double fold bias tape

Dowell Rod

Iron-On Patches

1 Package of Iron-On Interfacing

1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew Ultra Hold 7/8 in. hem

1 Package of Heat-n-Bond No Sew 1 Yard

Various Colors of Ribbon

1. Cut fabric to be used as the body of the FE to be 8 in. wide by 58 in. in length. When folded the FE will be 29 in. in length.

2. Cut fabric for the three pockets, cut each pocket 11 in. wide by 12 in. in length. When folded each pocked will be 6 in. in length.

3. On the inside of the FE body piece and each pocket iron on the interfacing. Once cooled completely I ironed on the sheet of Heat-n-Bond cut 8 in. by 29 in. to the inside of the body of the FE.

4. On each of the 3 folded pockets I made pleats so that the pockets were 2 in.-pleat-4 in.-pleat 2 in. To secure the pleats I used the Heat-n-Bond Ultrahold hem. This was done on the cut side so that the top edge would be folded and clean.

5. Next I used the heat-n-bond hem to add 8 in. strips of the double fold bias tape to the bottom of each pocket.

6. Next I lined up the pockets on the body of the FE starting 8 in. from the top and then about 1 in. apart. I market the spots with a pencil and secured the bottom and sides of the pockets using the heat-n-bond hem.

7. Once all cooled. I used the double fold bias tape for the perimeter of the body of the FE which again was secured using the iron on hem.

8. Once cooled I ironed on the patches to each of the pockets.

9. I then folded down the top of the FE about 2 inches and secured to the back of the FE by the iron-on hem creating a little opening to insert the dowel rod.

10. Using the multicolored ribbon I made it long enough so that the FE would hang approximately 7-8 in. from a hanger.

11. For our names I bough iron-on computer paper and printed the names on the computer. Then I cut and surrounded the paper with double fold bias tape attached using the iron-on hem. Finally I ironed on the name piece.

I think that’s all. I’ve never tried to write directions for anything like this before. Everything I used I bought from either Wal-Mart, Michaels, or Joann’s Fabrics.

Here's the picture again of the final result.

DSC02144.jpg

here is my first attemtp at a FE which wasnt sewed. I didn tuse bonding on the seams, just turned them under evenly ans glued down with fabric glue and it worked great.

I did make it a bit too long but i had NO instructions at all, I guessed at everything. So it doesnt look as nice as the one I posted above but it worked and did look ok.

12408wondercruise468.jpg

This is the one i use now. It was made by a friend for me. It is pirate themed. I thought you might like to see a different themed one to help you decide what to do for yours. The more you see the more ideas you will get about making one.

DSC03559.jpg

Good luck and have fun with making one. There is no right or wrong to them. just design the way you want and it will be just fine.

What is it for?

Many groups on the roll call threads use fish extenders .

Once you post on a roll call thread you ask who wants to do this. Most do. You make or buy one and it hangs from the metal fish outside your door.

Then the people in your roll call group will deliver a fun surprize in it one day on your cruise and you will do the same for them.

It is fun to go back to your room and find a little something in the pocket to surprize you. The larger the group the more fun it can be.

It is always inexpensive items like mini candy bars, disney themed pencils, disney post cards, book marks, glow necklaces, hersheys kisses, crazy straws, cookies etc... Some people are really creative and will make something home made to deliver too.

Once i had M&M's made up speical for the cruise and then bagged them myself for each room. I had half printed Disney Magic the other candies had Bananaheads written on them because our group was named the Bananaheads.

That is what they are used for.

Archived