Small boat excursion safety?

mountainhouse

At the risk of sounding paranoid..... I was watching a bunch of Alaska films on, I think, the Discovery channel. Mostly, since I'm not skiing down 60 degree slopes, I'm okay. However, they had this one story about a fishing excursion. 10 or so on a hired boat. Had a catastrophic failure of the propeller shaft and started taking on water. The inflatable raft was in disrepair and they barely made it off, since going in the water with a life jacket is not much of an option.

Is there any requirement for life rafts on smaller vessels in Alaska? At worst, I figure there's maybe some additional questions I should be asking before I choose an particular excursion.

Is there any requirement for life rafts on smaller vessels in Alaska? At worst, I figure there's maybe some additional questions I should be asking before I choose an particular excursion.

We have been on several small boat excursions in AK and on each excursion they go through the safety instructions showing you where everything is. Also everything is labeled so you can find it if needed. All boats are inspected for safety and proper equipment and licensed. The captains are also licensed. Another reassuring thing is that boats don't go out in bad weather. Excursions are cancelled if the seas are too rough.

Weird thing about this show I saw is that the sea conditions were perfectly calm. Strange.

When you've gone on these trips are there always rafts or some sort of life boat?

Thanks!

I would imagine that the boat was not in the best condition. Regulations are more strict for passanger boats, I would think.

I remember seeing boxes holding the life preservers but I don't know about rafts. I honestly never thought about it. I suppose you could contact the tour office and ask. I have no idea of what the law requires on small boats. I just know that the boats used on the excursions meet or exceed those standards.

Caught the same show this past weekend. DVR'd all the Alaska shows to get ready for our Alaskan cruise. MY DH was cracking up over the "captain" of the boat. Seemed very laid back for having almost killed all his passengers.

Seems like the boat had to be in a bit of disrepair - life jackets left on board, raft that was sinking and could not hold the passengers of the boat - even if not in the state it was, engine drive shaft which caused the boat to sink and a radio that didn't work.

Did yo catch that the way they got ahold of the Coast Guard was a passenger making a 911 call on his cell!!!

Now I have to go back and "check" on our two excursions that have boats involved and verify safety equipment and the like. Since I booked major operators - hoping that I do not really have to worry as losing 50-75 passengers at sea during a two hour excursion I am sure would not be good. So they must be regulated. Thats what I assured DH of anyways.

He just cant seem to forget the AK47's being trained on us in the jungles of Belize a few cruise years ago:) Just a routine stop - during a time of some political unrest - we of course were fine - the kids have never forgotten that day though!!

So now have to reassure him that I did not book another "adventure":):)

Thank You Discovery Channell!!!

He just cant seem to forget the AK47's being trained on us in the jungles of Belize a few cruise years ago:) Just a routine stop - during a time of some political unrest - we of course were fine - the kids have never forgotten that day though!!

:eek: Wow!

Agree the captain did not have his act together. But it did make me realize that with the cold waters there, a life preserver becomes a device good for less than 15 minutes. I'm going to drop a couple of emails. :rolleyes:

mountainhouse- Stuff on Discovery Channel makes for great, exciting, reality TV. I didn't see the episode, but it sounds like the fishing boat was on open ocean and many miles from other vessels.

The whalewatch boats in AK are inspected by the USCG and safety standards are much higher to carry passengers for hire. It would be interesting to know whether they carry rafts or not, but either way if something happens suddenly you are going in the water. At Juneau, all the boats tend to congregate in the same area and the problem is boats keeping clear of each other. You'd be on another boat way faster than the time it takes to unstow, inflate, and climb into a raft.

Relax and enjoy the trip!

I contacted the Coast Guard. Uninspected passenger vessels (those carrying 6 or fewer passengers - referred to as "six packs") have no requirement for a "survival craft". That's why the Coast Guard instituted the voluntary 5 star safety program. Any vessel carrying over 6 passengers is inspected by the Coast Guard with requirements for full safety gear.

We plan a small boat excursion, but it will be to calm, frequently traveled place. As, Kenish suggested, I'll sit back and enjoy myself. However, for trips to more out of the way places, this might cause me to ask some questions before choosing someone.

Archived