Need Rental Car Info in Sydney Nova Scotia

I've read in several message boards that renting a car in Sydney and doing a drive is a great idea. We are on the Maasdam leaving BOS on May 30th and will be visiting Sydney.

How close are the rental car agencies to where the ship docks? What agencies are closer (or what agencies rent cars in this area) ? Do many people do this and is there a possibility that the rental cars will sell out?

We have a family of 6 so would need something like a Minivan or larger SUV.

Any help would be appreciated !!

Hello-

We will be on the same cruise as you. I reserved a car online through Budget car rental. I also called them and they said they have a van that picks people up at the port. We just have to call and let them know we are ready and waiting. I know enterprise also has a van to pick you up at the port, because I called them too. It just happened Budget was the cheapest with our coupon! With the kids coming too, i have to watch my spending!!

Thanks for the info. Did you get your coupons on-line or from their frequent rental program. Do you know if National car rental has a place there? I have some free rental days from them. If not, I will go with Budget as I have used them quite a bit in the past. Their cars are a bit more tired looking than Avis or Hertz, but their prices are usually lower.

National does have a rental agency in Sydney, but i believe they are at the airport and not right in town. you might be able to call and see if they would pick you up. My coupon was from BJs Wholesale Club. I took the insurance which is $28 and my total for a compact car is $71. Without the coupon my rate was $90. For a free rental it might even be worth it for you to take a cab to the airport.

Thanks for the info. We needed a minivan and Budget was the only one that could confirm one for us. There is another local place closer to the pier, but they would only do 2 day minimum for the minivan. We got a rate of $72CAD for the minivan (I did not take Insurance as we have coverage on credit card) and as you listed, they pickup and dropoff. She said it is ~ 25min drive to the Fort by the fast route. The more scenic route takes ~ 1 hour each way depending on how much you stop and view things. She said it was well worth spending the extra time to see the scenery going out there.:)

That's where we are headed too. The website and CC reviews make me think it will be a fun day. Maybe the kids will learn something too!

Glad you were able to reserve a car. I am on the fence about the insurance as our credit card covers it too. They said I could take it off when we rented, and I just might!

• 3 months later...

How far is 446 Grand Lake Road in Sydney from the port? We are renting from Enterprise since they give unlimited kilometers. It seems to be not to far from the Welton location of Budget. Will this be ok?

How far is 446 Grand Lake Road in Sydney from the port? We are renting from Enterprise since they give unlimited kilometers. It seems to be not to far from the Welton location of Budget. Will this be ok?

Be advised that we reserved with Enterprise in Sydney in April and they were unable to provide a car within 90 minutes of the reservation time. Apparently they have a small fleet.

Hi Just a little info for the groups that are renting in sydney. Where you pick up your car is on welton street which is approx 10 min from where the ship docks. Its a solid 35 to 40 min drive one way from sydney to louisbourg if you do it in 25 min be prepred for a $ 400.00 speeding ticket the posted limit is between 80 and 90 kms. So watch out for the cops. any way have fun saty safe.

Does anyone know if Welton street is a 10 min walk or a 10 min drive, from the pier?

Archived