Review of Day Sail with Captain Max on the "Lou"

Luckyladyh

Just returned today from the Zaandam Eastern trip. I had done alot of research on day sails and found that two of the companies often listed here, which I had made reservations with, "bumped" me via e-mail before I arrived, leaving me to find someone else. One was because they did not have more than 2 booked, and one company "bumped" me because they had a party of 7 that wanted the same date. Both inapproproate and unprofessional in my opinion.

But lucky for me, we found Captain Maxine on the "Lou", a beautiful sailboat that in fact took only the two of us for the same rate as the others were charging for 6. It was $110 per person cash, plus we tipped the mate $25.00 because of the quality of service she constantly providing in ensuring our drinks were full, getting us ready to snorkel, serving lunch, etc.

We had the time of our lives. A beautiful sail to St. John's where we stopped in a pristine snorkeling area, that was only us! We saw turtles, fish, and gorgeous coral. At that location (so private and romantic) we were served a lunch of fresh fruit, pasta, and chicken, all beautiful prepared with fresh flowers adorning the plates. Absolutely great food! In fact, I asked for the recipes.

We then went to a snorkeling area that had a beach (at my request) and went to a spot that again, had not a soul on it. This is what makes taking a day trip that you book on your own so special. Instead of hoardes of cruise passengers, you are with no more than 6 - and again, in this case, it was just the two of us. Captain Max accommodated our request to stay away from other people and boats to make it the best experienced possible. All the other day sails were crowded together, going in the same direction - but not us!!

We had a full day - left at 9 and back at 4. The Lou is a beautiful sail boat, and Captain Max was such a joy to be with. So friendly and vivacious, but yet when we wanted quiet time, we got it. Outstanding service and a beautiful boat. So I can highly recommend the "Lou" as an experience that you will love, with a Captain that is honest and caring. I was thrilled with my experience and wanted to pass it along. The website is sailwithcaptainmax.com and her e-mail is seamax@islands.vi.

Some details on how we got there - we took a 20 minute cab ride from the ship at $9.00 per person (we were at the farthest cruise dock you can get). We arrived at Red Hook where we met the Captain. On the return, there were cabs everywhere, and we took one and stopped downtown for an hour to shop. It was $8.00 a person to downtown, and then we had to catch another cab $3.50 per person on to the ship. But I was able to get in a full one hour to shop, which pleased me to no end!

If you'd like any further information, or have specific questions, please e-mail me - Luckyladyh@aol.com. Have a great time!! You won't regret it.

Archived