Looking for Car Rentals in Hawaii

Ya Ya Cruiser

Greetings,

We are on the Rotterdam next March Hawaii/Tahiti. We would like to do car rentals in Hilo, Kona, Kaui and Lahaina. Does anyone have suggestions for car rental agencies that come to the Pier - especially in Lahaina? We have rented in the past on Maui from local rental agencies but I don't think they will transport to the pier, and especially in Lahaina don't want to have to go all the way to Kahului to pick up a car.

Any suggestions/advice most appreciated.

YaYa

In Kauai we rented a car through Alamo that provided a shuttle pick up at the pier (Nawiliwili harbor). If I remember correctly, other rental car companies also provided shuttle buses from/to the pier but you may want to check their websites and call the local rental office to find out for sure. In Maui we were in port in Kahului and rented from Avis.

Hope that helps. :)

If you can't find an agency in Lahaina look for car rentals in the Kaanapali area. Lots of car agencies will send a van for you. It is a fairly long way but way closer than Kahului. Be prepared to go alone and pick up the car then return to the dock to pick up your family. Sometimes the vans are small and can't carry everyone. Get on the van early to make sure you don't have to wait 45 min+ for the next one. Book early because the car companies have dropped the number of cars on neighbor islands.

Try hawaiicarrental.com

I agree with previous poster. I pays to call direct and in advance the local agency you plan to rent from to reconfirm they will send a shuttle. Ask if they want you to call when you are ready and on the dock or if the shuttle is sent on a regular schedule.

• Administrators
Greetings,

We are on the Rotterdam next March Hawaii/Tahiti. We would like to do car rentals in Hilo, Kona, Kaui and Lahaina. Does anyone have suggestions for car rental agencies that come to the Pier - especially in Lahaina? We have rented in the past on Maui from local rental agencies but I don't think they will transport to the pier, and especially in Lahaina don't want to have to go all the way to Kahului to pick up a car.

Any suggestions/advice most appreciated.

YaYa

Please check Beachchick's excellent post in this thread -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=809793&highlight=lahaina+car+rental+jhm Tons of information there to help out. No need to rent in Kahului if you are tendering into Lahaina, as you will see. Have a great trip!

PS In Kona rent from Dollar or Thrifty in the King Kamehaha Hotel -- the Kona side airport is much further away, and the King K location will get you moving a lot faster.

We rented a car from Thrifty while we were in Hawaii. We stayed 6 nights on the Northshore before our cruise. Whenwe arrived at Thrift by shuttle, the line was out the door and moving very slowly. The Blue Chip counter was outside with no one waiting for their cars. We called home and had our daughter enroll us as Blue Chip members and then proceeded over to the counter. Other CC members had suggested that you join can rental clubs but I did not do this before leaving home.

We also rented from Thrift on the other islands. The Blue Chip membership came in so handy since all Thrifty Rental Car counters had a line.

Search for coupon codes - they do come in quite handy - the research is well worth the time.

Archived