Bear spray. Can we bring on board?

jenga123

Hello all. We will be cruising this summer and would love to do some hiking in Skagway and Juneau.

For saftey, we always hike with bear spray and/or bangers.

My question is has any tried to bring it onboard an airline or cruiseship (in checked luggage of course).

If we can, will there be a problem getting through the ship's security comming on or off the boat. Do they check our daypacks.

Thanks

It is not allowed on airplanes.

In either Juneau or Skagway, buy some marine flares (lots of marine shops to get them). What DH uses all the time. Can't take those on the plane either, but they are cheap enough you can throw them away.

I've never used one but aren't they like highway flares that can set the forest on fire?

Kinda sort of. But you sure don't lay them down anyplace. Burn time for the ones DH buys in Homer is only about 4 minutes and they are hand held.

Hallo Bay only uses flares (and very sparingly-4 in about 10 years). Since they live with the bears for 4 months a year, I figure if it is good enough for them, it is good enough for DH. He fishes some very out of the way places in the Kenai. Always has the flares (and of course, a 357). He is out there by himself. In 10 years, so far, so good.

I can picture it now....running through the forest...trying to light a flare...a bear on your tail....

And yes, I think those flares would definitely be a BIG fire hazard.

If you need to use one to scare a bear off, the last thing you will be thinking about is whether you are leaving a trail of flame behind you....

I can picture it now....running through the forest...trying to light a flare...a bear on your tail....

And yes, I think those flares would definitely be a BIG fire hazard.

If you need to use one to scare a bear off, the last thing you will be thinking about is whether you are leaving a trail of flame behind you....

OBVIOUSLY, you have never been around a large bear. The LAST thing you want to do is RUN.

You stand as tall as you possibly can. You put your arms up. YOU NEED to be the larger alpha presence. If you have thought this through and ever been in bear country, you have rehearsed this in your head a lot of times. I have been within 12-15 feet of 1000 pound browns. Was I scared-maybe a little worried the first time. After that-cautious, NOT scared.

Flares are the safest things to use, in a lot of peoples opinions. Animals are generally scared of fire. You need to be VERY close to use bear spray effectively.

OBVIOUSLY, you have never been around a large bear. The LAST thing you want to do is RUN.

You stand as tall as you possibly can. You put your arms up. YOU NEED to be the larger alpha presence. If you have thought this through and ever been in bear country, you have rehearsed this in your head a lot of times. I have been within 12-15 feet of 1000 pound browns. Was I scared-maybe a little worried the first time. After that-cautious, NOT scared.

Flares are the safest things to use, in a lot of peoples opinions. Animals are generally scared of fire. You need to be VERY close to use bear spray effectively.

Well arent you special. And newsflash...I have NO plans to be around a large bear. If you get with 12 feet of a 1000 pound wild bear and you arent scared....well....that about says it all doesnt it?

And I still say flares are a terrible idea out in the forest. Just dumb. The reason animals are generally scared of fire is because they are smart.

Are you Coach that is on Survivor right now? You sure sound a lot like him.

The vast majority of professionals (and places such as the US Forest Service) recommend bear spray.

I think I'd be afraid to use bear spray. If I'm close enough to a bear to need it, I doubt I'd be in any frame of mind to think if I was upwind or not and then I'd be the one being sprayed.:eek:

We were close to a bear (very close) here in Northern Ontario once. We did what greatam said...made ourselves VERY tall, arms overhead and backed up very slowly. He gave us a sniff and then took off. I was TERRIFIED but at least we weren't his dinner.

This thread is making me so excited to go to Anan!

Hope you find this answer amusing; but it's quite true!

"WARNING:

"Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the outdoors in a recreational or work-related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

"We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advance warning to any bears that might be close by so you don't take them by surprise.

"We also advise anyone using the outdoors to carry 'pepper spray' with him in case of an encounter with a bear.

"Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and should be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly (brown) bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear feces has bells in it and smells like pepper."

GreatAm is correct and is telling you what any bear biologist will tell you to do if you encounter a bear. See http://www.nps.gov/akso/bearsafe.pdf for more information. You absolutely cannot bring bear spray on board either a plane or a cruise ship. Flares might be worthwhile if you were spending an extended time in bear country (SE Alaska is a rain forest and the risk of fire is slight if it is handled and extinguished properly).

Most of the time bears are not interested in you and will go away. Brown bears will sometimes bluff charge if startled. However, if you get between a mom and cubs or stumble on a bear kill being guarded by a bear, you are in trouble. On most of the trails you would be likely to hike on as a cruise ship passenger, there is only a slight chance you'll encounter a bear. These are well-travelled by people and bears avoid them. Juneau is an exception, as there are bears all over town. Most of the trails are monitored and will be closed if there are encounters with a problem bear. If you stay on marked trails and travel in a group of three or more, your bear encounter risk is slight.

Hope you find this answer amusing; but it's quite true!

"WARNING:

"Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the outdoors in a recreational or work-related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

"We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advance warning to any bears that might be close by so you don't take them by surprise.

"We also advise anyone using the outdoors to carry 'pepper spray' with him in case of an encounter with a bear.

"Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and should be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly (brown) bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear feces has bells in it and smells like pepper."

That is hysterical!!!

GreatAm is correct and is telling you what any bear biologist will tell you to do if you encounter a bear. See www.nps.gov/akso/bearsafe.pdf for more information. You absolutely cannot bring bear spray on board either a plane or a cruise ship. Flares might be worthwhile if you were spending an extended time in bear country (SE Alaska is a rain forest and the risk of fire is slight if it is handled and extinguished properly).

Most of the time bears are not interested in you and will go away. Brown bears will sometimes bluff charge if startled. However, if you get between a mom and cubs or stumble on a bear kill being guarded by a bear, you are in trouble. On most of the trails you would be likely to hike on as a cruise ship passenger, there is only a slight chance you'll encounter a bear. These are well-travelled by people and bears avoid them. Juneau is an exception, as there are bears all over town. Most of the trails are monitored and will be closed if there are encounters with a problem bear. If you stay on marked trails and travel in a group of three or more, your bear encounter risk is slight.

Does this apply to places like Anan where I'm told you have a very high chance of encountering bears on the trails?

Does this apply to places like Anan where I'm told you have a very high chance of encountering bears on the trails?

Bears are at Anan for the salmon and are not all that interested in you. In addiiton, you will presumably be in a group. Bear attacks on groups of 3 or more people are extremely rare.

I think I'd be afraid to use bear spray. If I'm close enough to a bear to need it, I doubt I'd be in any frame of mind to think if I was upwind or not and then I'd be the one being sprayed.:eek:

We were close to a bear (very close) here in Northern Ontario once. We did what greatam said...made ourselves VERY tall, arms overhead and backed up very slowly. He gave us a sniff and then took off. I was TERRIFIED but at least we weren't his dinner.

This thread is making me so excited to go to Anan!

You hit the nail on the head about bear spray. You have to be VERY close to use bear spray. And you have to be upwind from the spray. (your description keeps making me laugh).

That is why a lot of Alaska bear experts recommend flares. Readily available, cheap, not hazardous to you in an unlit condition and there really isn't much "thinking" about using them. Just light the end and hold on to it in front of you. And NO-you don't throw it on the ground. Either let it burn out (only about 4 minutes) or put it out CAREFULLY. Then dispose of properly

Bears are at Anan for the salmon and are not all that interested in you. In addiiton, you will presumably be in a group. Bear attacks on groups of 3 or more people are extremely rare.

Plus...they give us a guide...you can be absolutely certain THAT guide will be between me and any bear I come across!

You hit the nail on the head about bear spray. You have to be VERY close to use bear spray. And you have to be upwind from the spray. (your description keeps making me laugh).

That is why a lot of Alaska bear experts recommend flares. Readily available, cheap, not hazardous to you in an unlit condition and there really isn't much "thinking" about using them. Just light the end and hold on to it in front of you. And NO-you don't throw it on the ground. Either let it burn out (only about 4 minutes) or put it out CAREFULLY. Then dispose of properly

I thought you were suggesting we throw the lit flare at the bear. I don't think I'll be bringing those either...I'd probably kill myself with it!

It really is something to think about though, isn't it? I somehow doubt I could stand in one place if a bear was charging at me...even if it was a bluff. And I know if I run...I'm a goner. Hopefully, the only bear I see will be in the river eating salmon with me up on the deck photographing it.

There's a hiking safety sign at Denali. For bear safety they recommend making noise to avoid surprising a bear, NEVER get between a cub and mother (if you do by accident back out of the situation slowly), if confronted look big and loud, NEVER run, and NEVER go up a tree.

OTOH the sign said if charged by a moose you'd better do your best Jim Fixx or FloJo act and RUN!

A ranger said they consider bear spray pretty useless and said it just makes you taste spicy to the bear! :D

On our last visit to Alaska a tour guide said he packs a 870 remigton shot gun, and pepper spray with bacon wrapped around the can, he shots a slug for noise and then buck shot for a charging bear then bird shot for one that is two close to run from and if all that doesn't make him run the other way he feeds him the blacken bacon pepper spray. They love bacon.

Stacym

On our last visit to Alaska a tour guide said he packs a 870 remigton shot gun, and pepper spray with bacon wrapped around the can, he shots a slug for noise and then buck shot for a charging bear then bird shot for one that is two close to run from and if all that doesn't make him run the other way he feeds him the blacken bacon pepper spray. They love bacon.

Stacym

If the guide is wrapping bacon around a pepper spray can, isn't he/she asking for trouble? I'm sure the bears can smell it so in a sense, isn't he actually luring them???

If the guide is wrapping bacon around a pepper spray can, isn't he/she asking for trouble? I'm sure the bears can smell it so in a sense, isn't he actually luring them???

Perhaps he was just joking, for the sake of the tourists... :rolleyes:

Archived