Cinco DeMaio on the Dawn

JUSRN

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico.

But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day. The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

For NYY

That is one of the best shaggy dogs I've ever heard.:D:D:D

I do wonder a bit about Cinco de Mayo. I mean if everybody celebrated beating France in a war there'd be a party somewhere in the world every day.:rolleyes:

For NYY

I do wonder a bit about Cinco de Mayo. I mean if everybody celebrated beating France in a war there'd be a party somewhere in the world every day.:rolleyes:

ROTFLOL, luddite. So true! :D

DT

Do you think there will be any special activities or menus for May 5th on the cruises that week?

My only experience was a Dawn 1-nighter on May 5. We expected at the very least that the Mexican restaurant would be the most popular, but we were practically alone - made for the best service ever :). ANd it was a GREAT time! Margarita, salsa and chips is all I need to say Cinco de Mayo!

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico.

But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day. The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

very creative! i like that one!

For NYY

France is so lucky they don't speak German!

Do you think there will be any special activities or menus for May 5th on the cruises that week?

We did the NCL Spirit out of NY a couple of years back that left on Cinco de Mayo - they had a "Corona" special that had free Corona themed keychains/bottleopeners also complementary Corona T-shirts.;)

I started this same thread recently and just about had my head handed to me. lol I just plan on going to the Mexican rest. for dinner that night since we are still out to sea that day.

Are you booked on the Dawn for 5/3 week? If so, you should sign up for the Meet & Greet. I know you were in the 5/3/08 Bermuda thread, but haven't seen you there in some time.

Archived