Yes Sir, HELL Is Just Up The Road, But You Can’t Go To HELL In A Taxi

Trainman-2

We fell for the tour to Hell, turtle farm and "glance" at 7 Mile Beach several years ago. What a joke. Hell is just some weird looking lava rock behind a gift shop. Not being "turtle afficianados" we weren't too turned on by that tour and we just saw the beach from afar as we drove by. Oh wait - we did see the local nursing home and had to endure several "sure hope our kids don't send us to THAT place jokes." PLEASE FOLKS, DON'T GO TO HELL.

:D We went to Hell once!!! We were in Hell for 10 mins. We mailed a few postcard so that our family would know we were in Hell. The postcards from Hell got to our family and friends two weeks after we got back.

When we got back from vacation, everyone wanted to know how our vacation was... we told them we went to Hell and back.:):)

:D We went to Hell once!!! We were in Hell for 10 mins. We mailed a few postcard so that our family would know we were in Hell. The postcards from Hell got to our family and friends two weeks after we got back.

When we got back from vacation, everyone wanted to know how our vacation was... we told them we went to Hell and back.:):)

Welcome To CC! :D

As we got to Hell, the batteries in our camera died. DH said that he was sure this forsaken place wouldn't have the right size batteries, but I had to ask. Of course, this time DH was wrong and we bought batteries for the camera at just a dollar or so more than we would have paid at home. Amazing! We did buy post cards and mail them from Hell also. Not too much exciting there, but it's another place we've checked off.

That sounds neat. Do you need an international drivers license to rent a car there or will a regular US government issued license due. Also, about how much does that cost to rent?

Regular valid US license will work fine.....as long as you don't have any moving violations....and they DO check.

Just make sure you request a car with the driver's seat on the left side... It's a little tough to remember to "keep left" on the roads without trying to remember it while driving a car from the right side.....

Traffic is practically non-existent except right in Georgetown...once you pick the car up, it's smooth sailing. Be sure to obey the speed limits to the letter - they are tough as nails about it.

My last rental was a stick shift - compact and, with taxes it was 43.20...plus, even though I have insurance and my credit card insures me, I still took their insurance too.....don't want any surprises. That was 11.95 and protected from everything.

The time before that, my big-shot brother had to have a convertible...so he rented a PT cruiser convertible....cost a 120.00 and change. I'll admit it was a lot of fun.....but there were 4 people sharing the cost. I'd never do it on my own....I'm not a car person...just want 4 wheels and A/C..beyond that, don't care....:p

Everyone on the Island is driving on the wrong side of the road!

LOL, why it is the 'wrong' side of the road, it is just the other side of the road to than the one you are used to

Because it's the opposite of the right side of the road...? ;)

Depends upon which side of the pond you view it from. When you look towards us the right side of the road is actually the left side of the road when we look towards you. Surely, somethings not right. Does that mean we are both wrong ?

Better hope they never construct a transatlantic tunnel lest we be in big trouble :eek:.

Alas it is a mere road to Hell. Give us a few years for further construction and eventually you could take the new highway to Hell.

A US driver's license is sufficient. The rental agency will then add a mandatory US$7.50 (CI$6) per driver to the rental charges for a local driving permit. You do not need to get an international driver's license.

I went on one of those tours that included Hell and some manner-challenged tourmates. You know the type - they sit in the back but run over everyone to get off the bus first, are always 10 minutes late..etc.

When we finally got to Hell, they again tried to push their way off the bus first. I smiled at them sweetly and said, "oh go ahead, I'm in no rush to go to Hell."

And yes, I agree Hell is overrated!

• 2 months later...

I have been searching this site in hopes of finding information on how we can get to "Hell" without having to take tour. Being that we have never been to "hell" we want to at least see it, send a post card or two and say we been there done that. Well...finally, I find this thread and discover that we cannot take a taxi to "hell". That stinks. We have no interest in the turtle farm and hate to waste 2 hours just to spend 10 minutes in "hell". At least I hope it would be only for 10 minutes...:D Thanks for sharing your experience so us others can learn and plan accordingly.

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine and her SO cut a deal with a taxi driver, which they found when they left the pier area, and they went to Hell, a marketplace, and a secluded snorkel beach for $50. She said the taxi driver dropped them off at each place, asked how long they wanted to stay and was back on time to pick them up. They had a great time, especially at the beach. This was last February.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes Sir, HELL Is Just Up The Road, But You Can’t Go To HELL In A Taxi, You Have To Take A Tour To HELL!

Georgetown, Grand Cayman, 27 April 2009, 10:00 am, 4 ships In Port. Hundreds of Excursionistas have rushed ashore for ship sponsored excursions and are all waiting around. My Wife and I are trying to go to HELL in a taxi and then return.

DSCN8811.jpg

Me. Where Can I get a Taxi?

Native with tour sign. Where do you want to go?

Me. We want to go to HELL!

Native. You can’t go there in a Taxi, you have to go to HELL on a tour, only $20

Me. We don’t want a tour, we want a private taxi for the two of us.

Native. I can’t help you, I only do tours.

Me. Where Can I get a taxi”

Native. Go over there and see the Taxi Dispatcher.

Me. OK, Thanks

Me. Where can we get a taxi?

Taxi Dispatcher. Where do you want to go?

Me. We want to go to HELL in a taxi, hang around for awhile, take some photos, and then come back.

Taxi Dispatcher. You can go on a tour to HELL, and 7 Mile Beach, and the Turtle Farm for $20

Me. How long is the Tour?

Taxi Dispatcher. 2 hours

Me (to loving Wife) Do You want to do the tour?

Loving Wife. OK

Me (To Taxi Dispatcher) OK, We will go to HELL on the tour.

Taxi Dispatcher. OK, Come with me.

The Taxi Dispatcher takes us out into a lot full of Taxis, Small Vans, and Small Buses and puts us on a nice bus that sears about 30. The engine is running, the A/C is on, the bus is nice and cool, and two other couples are already on the bus. We sit for about 10 minutes while the Taxi Dispatcher dispatches several taxis and small vans.

Me (to Loving Wife) I don’t want to sit on this bus all day waiting for HELL to freeze over, Lets go.

Loving Wife. OK

We get off bus

Loving Wife. What do you want to do.

Me. Lets get some ice cream.

Loving Wife. OK

We eat ice cream and watch everyone else waiting in the hot sun for their tours.

Loving Wife. I want to go look in those shops.

Me. OK

Loving Wife. Nothing worth buying her but did you see that guy with the sign that said “HELL – Round Trip - $12

Me. No! Let’s go find him.

Me. (To Native No 2 with sign) We want to go to Hell. Your sign says $12 round trip

Native No 2 with sign. This is for 4 people

Me. Can’t you get a taxi for the two of us?

Native No 2 with sign. No you have to have 4 people to go to HELL

Me (To Loving Wife) I give up. Let’s go back to the ship.

Loving Wife. OK

:D :eek: :D :eek:

That was by far the funniest thing I have read in a long time. My dh and I were cracking up. Thanks for making us laugh.

Bevie

Archived