Whales in May?

all is good

Just off the Golden last week...May 11 in Juneau. We went with Orca Enterprises and saw a lot of whales...some got very close to the boat.

We were on Captain Larry's boat..the purple one...and it was super nice.

They had hot beverages, snacks, etc. And they knew exactly where to go to find the whales. The boat is perfect for whale watching...very fast and nimble but large enough to take the chop without any problem.

I highly recommend them.

• 1 month later...

We went with Capt Louis and Alaska Whale Watching on an excursion in late May and were extremely happy. Louis and his operation may be smaller and/or not as well-known as the others but I can't imagine how the experience could have been any better. His boat has a great set-up. He is knowledgeable about the wildlife and you can see that he truly loves what he does. I highly recommend Louis and AK Whale Watching.

Mike

:confused: I am hearing conflicting reports about not wasting time & $ on Whale Excursions in late May as there arent very many whales then?? I am thinking of trying one in Juneau or Sitka. Or other ideas about going to Fjords? Thanks

I can't imagine not seeing whales in May. I have done 2 sailings in May one that left on the 24th and one on the 26th. Both times we saw many whales from the balcony, up on deck and even from the Horizon Court (sit by a window). The best sightings were on Captain Larry's trip so be sure and book an excursion. :D

Do not leave your cabin without your binoculars. You will have some amazing sightings if you spend time watching!

this is kind of off the subject, but my parents are sailing may 2010 on RC Rhapsody leaving from Seattle. They have a balcony room on Deck 8 or 9. Is there a certain side of the ship that you will have the best chance of seeing whales and getting those great scenery pics?

Archived