auto tips

jonorma

I got speaking to my cabin steward who is from the Philippines. He has just done 8 months straight - and was now taking a couple of months off and is looking forward to seeing his kids.

I asked him why he does it - very honest - the money. He told me for the same job back home he would earn about 1000 USD per year so I did some maths.

No idea what Princess pay him - but if 3000 people tip 10.50 per day - they split 31500 between approx 1200 staff (no idea how many of them get the split) - but that is at least 26.50 per day (plus salary plus any tips for drinks, etc) - so about 10 times what he earns at home (but obviosuly he does not work 12 straight months) - so I guess these guys do okay for themselves.

Wonder if the US, UK, French, etc where the average salary is a lot higher - get paid the same?

I do not grudge these guys a single penny! They work exceedingly hard and I cannot imagine my husband being away from me and the kids for 8 months, missing important milestones in our kids upbringing. I have spoken with several who have not even been there for the birth of their children. Yes, it is their choice, but what a sacrifice to have to make just to afford a decent standard of living, which we take for granted. That is why I always tip more when I cruise.

I usually cruise with my wife and 3 boys ages 15, 12, and 8. I always leave the auto tip plus tip extra to those that do extra. My boys always ask the cabin stewart if they want food from room service and they will order it for them. That is their way of saying thanks and the Cabin Stewarts always appreciate it. The one point that I do not agree with here is the generalization that children require more service from the staff. While some do, I have seen many adults that are demanding and expect the world to revolve around them. They should be tipping extra, but I would bet that they are the ones that reduce the tip and expect more. If I had poor service, I would complain to the ship staff and wouldn't hesitate to adjust my tipping accordingly.

Does Princess charge 10.50 a day for everyone? I think the other cruise lines charge a reduced rate for 3rd and 4th passengers. I disagree that children cause more work. If they do not cater to families they will not fill the ship. One quad fits four people while a 2 room only fits 2 in the same sqaure footage. I think they also make more money when lots of kids are on board. The rates for school vacation times are always higher.

Firstly I'm offeneded by some of the comments on this thread and agree it should be removed....up until now I have found this web site extremely useful - inparticular before our first cruise. I have also added some informative details for other users of which i'm told some 'cruisers' have really found benificial.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here....everyone mentions the 'top class' service we get from all the employees on Princess - and I totally agree the service was second to none on our Emerald cruise on the 9th Apr. However, surely when your paying £5000+ on a holiday for 2 people for 2 weeks, surely this kind of service should be expected / included in the price - what are princess doing with all the money we pay for our holidays - not paying there staff well enough by the sounds of it. I will also state that each time we went to the bar there was additional charges on the bill also.....

Why is it that everytime we go into a restaurant we have to pay extra for service - surely when you pay for something you should expect good service, regardless if your dining, buying in a supermarket, buying a car, having your hair done....

Just as a point of note.. we actually reduced our gratuity payment by 50% - but when we were there, there was a whole line of people (both European / American / other!!!) ready do the same and some reducing by 100% - but again this entirely upto the individual(s). It REALLY think it is up to the individual to make the decision, based on what they can afford.....please don't forget that some people have to save very hard to have a holiday / vacation. I trust the individuals who made these offensive remarks will be taken from the forum - for good...we don't need you - you give cruise critics a bad name..

For the person who started this thread - do what you wish to suit yourself and family and no one else.

And more importantly......ENJOY THE CRUISE...:)

I know that people feel very passionately about this subject. That being said, when traveling with three children the tips add up to more than 50 dollars A DAY. I do not believe that I would spend that on a private maid to come to my house. I think that it could be more reasonable for families, especially those with smaller children who do not take advantage of all the amenities.

15 cruises here and I have never traveled on a cruise where I added a 3rd or 4th to the cabin, but I can't imagine that it is twice as hard to clean a 150sqft cabin when there are 4 people there. That being said it is not as easy since there are more linens and beds to change, but not twice the effort. I do believe that the wait staff in the DR deserves full if not full+ compensation for children. Remember that these employees make nothing other than tips and if you worked 40 hours and you only got 40% of your normal weekly wage(based on your scenario), you would be angry....

I have never given money through auto tips and find it rather offensive. I always tip cash and give each of the people that have provided excellent service throughout the cruise a tip, including ones that aren't on the normal list of recipients. If cash tips are required to be split then I would rather them charge me in the price of the cruise and not have that expense broken out. I don't like the communistic approah of splitting tips (it degrades service), as some crew don't deserve the money. I have always given the minimum, partly because if service is sub par, I complain often and early and it never becomes a problem. One time it the waiter continued to provide crappy service so I switch tables on the 3rd night and tipped the new waiter as if he waited on me all week. I have known some people who sit there and stew all cruise and then still tip?:confused:

The definition of a tip is to "insure proper service", not to pay someones entire salary! What exactly did our thousand dollar cruise fare go to pay for?

From all that i know on RCCl and CCL the Tips are the only salary for service staff.

I think that all the cruiselines should just call it a service charge which cannot be removed. I feel empathy for the crewmember who have worked all week for passangers who remove or reduce the amount of the gratuity.

I know when I cruise that I need to tip for the people who make my cruise wonderfull. I do not make alot of money, however, I make sure that I have enough money to tip at least the minimum.

I think that all the cruiselines should just call it a service charge which cannot be removed. I feel empathy for the crewmember who have worked all week for passangers who remove or reduce the amount of the gratuity.

I know when I cruise that I need to tip for the people who make my cruise wonderfull. I do not make alot of money, however, I make sure that I have enough money to tip at least the minimum.

OK, well suppose you had the worst ever cabin steward & you couldn't remove or adjust the mandatory service charge. How would you feel about being made to pay for a total lack of service? I do agree that the service charge or tips shouldn't be removed because a person doesn't like the charge but at least let the people decide for them selves when it should be adjusted.

15 cruises here and I have never traveled on a cruise where I added a 3rd or 4th to the cabin, but I can't imagine that it is twice as hard to clean a 150sqft cabin when there are 4 people there.

When kids and teens are involved it gets pretty bad. I am constantly on my kids to pick up but there is such limited space to put things. It doesn't help that we pack way too much. It's four people in and out the cabin moving and rearranging things 24/7. I pay for the 3rd and 4th in the cabin but I know the steward earns this portion. As I said, the joy of vacationing with kids, it's what it is.....expensive:eek:

Does Princess charge 10.50 a day for everyone? I think the other cruise lines charge a reduced rate for 3rd and 4th passengers. I disagree that children cause more work. If they do not cater to families they will not fill the ship. One quad fits four people while a 2 room only fits 2 in the same sqaure footage. I think they also make more money when lots of kids are on board. The rates for school vacation times are always higher.
Yes, Princess charges $10.50/day/pp regardless of age for inside, oceanview and balcony cabins; $11/day/pp for mini-suites and suites. I am one who believes that children cause more work; they use washcloths, towels, leave stuff around, track in sand, etc., etc. And the pricing for cruises during school vacation times is due to Marketing 101: supply and demand and has nothing to do with whether there are more kids onboard or not.

Just a question - if you book at balcony cabin and are expecting to pay $10.50 per day gratuities and are then upgraded to, say, a Mini or above, are you then expected to pay the increased rate of $11?

After all it would be Princess's choice to upgrade you?

Just curious!!!

K

Just a question - if you book at balcony cabin and are expecting to pay $10.50 per day gratuities and are then upgraded to, say, a Mini or above, are you then expected to pay the increased rate of $11?

Just curious!!!

K

I hear what you're saying but surely you wouldn't for one second begrudge lavishly splashing out a whole $7- per person per week for the upgrade would you..??

I hear what you're saying but surely you wouldn't for one second begrudge lavishly splashing out a whole $7- per person per week for the upgrade would you..??

Oops... I meant $7- per couple per week..!!

Mike send me an e-mail, not working on this end.

On the way to gmail.

Let's see. . .Princess should give you a free upgrade to a better cabin and comp the tips.

I'll have whatever these folks are having;)

Mike:)

OK, well suppose you had the worst ever cabin steward & you couldn't remove or adjust the mandatory service charge. How would you feel about being made to pay for a total lack of service? I do agree that the service charge or tips shouldn't be removed because a person doesn't like the charge but at least let the people decide for them selves when it should be adjusted.

If I had the worst ever cabin steward, I would complain to either guest relations or the head of housekeeping as soon as this became apparent. Then if nothing changed would I adjust the tips, but I would at least give them a chance to improve service.

One other thing unrelated to this post, I often hear on these boards are complaints about service, which are used as a reason to reduce or eliminate tips. However in some cases the complaint has very little to do with the person being tipped or is out of that person's control.

For example if it is a change in policy with the cruise line - for example say a cruise line HQ makes a rule that cabins are only to have clean towels once a day, and there will be a charge if new towels are required over and above that (note this is just an example, not something that I'm aware of). I can see people complaining about the service and saying they should reduce their cabin stewards tips. However it is out of the Cabin Stewards control and he would get in trouble if he broke this rule.

Another example I've seen, is people saying they will reduct tips because the food quality wasn't good. Last time I looked your wait staff do not cook the food so why punish them?

A further example is if a cruise line cuts back and reduces the number of crew so they have to service more cabins or tables. Yes service to individual passengers will suffer, but it really isn't the crew members fault. They are doing the best they can, but they aren't supermen/women.

If a service complaint is based on anything like the above then write the complaint on the comment card and if need be write a letter to the cruise line HQ. However do not punish the crew for something that is outside their control.

I've noticed this happens quite freqently on this site - Just look at the poor person(s) who started this thread off.....they have had to endure all kinds of 'off comments' - not good...

Stick to answering the actual question is what I say!!!!!!!

Happy Cruising..

Joe

Just curious!!!

K

YES! If you are upgraded where the tips would be increased because of a different stateroom category, you are DEFINITELY charged the rate of that category you were upgraded to. If you don't want the extra 50 cents charged, then refuse the upgrade and stay where you booked.

OMG, 50 cents per day per person you would not expect to pay for a better stateroom? I thought I had heard/read every comment/complaint on this board over the years, but have never seen anyone that didn't think they should pay the extra 50 cents per day per person when upgraded. :eek: What in the world is cruising turning into, I am absolutely not believeing some of what I am reading here. :eek::rolleyes::eek:

I am not sure how Princess handles tips, but I know that RCCL and CCL have these policies:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisecrasy viewpost.gif

Sorry but folks shld still tip even if they choose not to eat dinner in the MDR.

The staff there is also the staff rotating into the buffet & serve breakfast & lunch in the MDR also so unless folks plan on not eating anywhere onboard except the specialty restaurants, IMO anyway they shld still tip.

If u wish to be selective, simply leave a cash tip everytime u eat breakfast or lunch..

Have happy cruisin'!

This post just shows how much bad information is out there on this board. The only tips that are pooled on the ship are for the bar staff. The waiter/assistant waiter and the steward all keep their own tips. I know this because a girlfriend of mine was dating a room steward and I have plain out asked the wait staff. I also asked the same question at the captain's table 2 years ago and the answer from the captain was "no pooling". (Could be RCCL and CCL only)

As far as CHOPs goes, gratuity use to be included in the charge, however I see that RCCL has changed the language online to make that more ambiguous (I am not sure why), but I just looked at an old cruise book, and it states clearly, that the charge to eat in the specialty restaurant includes gratuity (although I typically tip between $20 and $30 each time I eat there... in cash) If you are paying gratuity in Chops or portofinos every night then why would you also pay the wait staff in the dining room.

The cruise staff, the entertainers, the kitchen staff, engineers, and the maintainance staff are all salaried The waiter, steward, assistant waiter and bar tenders make no salary (this is not the US where they get a really low wage and supplement it with tips) they get no salary and tips are everything.

Archived