Disembark..the secret of how to get off early?

mjpohl

We just got off the Fantasy yesterday morning, and I can tell you that the regular self assist line begins forming around 6:30 AM. There were 27 Platinum guests on board and I'd say at least 20 used self assist, so the regular line began just a few minutes after the VIP line began moving. We were able to get off the ship at 7:30 (in the past it's been earlier) and were through customs by 7:45. As long as you're prepared to get up early and wait in line in the lobby, you can be off fairly early and on your way.

Please note that the VIP line forms on the same side as the information desk, and the regular line forms on the other side of the staircase/elevators. If you get in the wrong line they may very well tell you to move to the other line, which may put you at the back of a very long line.

Can anyone elaborate as to the best way to disembark quickest? I will be on the Fantasy on May 11 and when we return my wife and I have a 11 hour drive so we would like to get on the road as early as possible after disembarking. Any hints?

Thanks!

Be the first in line when they do self desembark. That would be the quickest.

Can anyone elaborate as to the best way to disembark quickest? I will be on the Fantasy on May 11 and when we return my wife and I have a 11 hour drive so we would like to get on the road as early as possible after disembarking. Any hints?

Thanks!

And just in case you are unable to do self-assist, and it's worth it to you, then I would suggest purchasing some # 1 tags (which I see on eBay all the time, and NO, it's not me selling them!!).

Although we have never used ours, I understand that after the VIP and Self Assist debark, then they start calling #s. You would be one of the 1st off the ship and your luggage would be on the #1 conveyor belt.

I'm sorry we didn't take our #1 Tags home with us or else I would have offered to mail them to you. They're of no use to us as we are the last ones off the ship!!!

And just in case you are unable to do self-assist, and it's worth it to you, then I would suggest purchasing some # 1 tags (which I see on eBay all the time, and NO, it's not me selling them!!).

Although we have never used ours, I understand that after the VIP and Self Assist debark, then they start calling #s. You would be one of the 1st off the ship and your luggage would be on the #1 conveyor belt.

I'm sorry we didn't take our #1 Tags home with us or else I would have offered to mail them to you. They're of no use to us as we are the last ones off the ship!!!

Just so the OP is not confused-there are no conveyors belts at the port of NOLA. Last time I was there in January we did self VIP debark but I remember seeing the standard "sea of luggage" sitting around their respective numbers.

Wouldn't want him to be wandering around the port of NOLA looking for conveyors belts as he cursed us CC's under his breath.

Just so the OP is not confused-there are no conveyors belts at the port of NOLA. Last time I was there in January we did self VIP debark but I remember seeing the standard "sea of luggage" sitting around their respective numbers.

Wouldn't want him to be wandering around the port of NOLA looking for conveyors belts as he cursed us CC's under his breath.

OOPS... didn't think of that... Thanks for letting all know... Years ago before the "New" port of Miami, VIPs had their own little section that actually said 'VIP" and it was sooooo easy to find our luggage... Now... yuck yuck and yuck again... lol

OOPS... didn't think of that... Thanks for letting all know... Years ago before the "New" port of Miami, VIPs had their own little section that actually said 'VIP" and it was sooooo easy to find our luggage... Now... yuck yuck and yuck again... lol

So true-those were the good old days.

My luggage is purple with little swirly pink hearts on it-so I can spot it a 100 yards away.

Better yet-my DH can also spot it 100 yrds away

So sorry if I sound stupid (never cruised before - so that's my excuse) but why the importance of getting of the ship so quickly. Wouldn't you rather take your time getting up and having breakfast and then get off later? Or don't they feed you the last day?!?

So sorry if I sound stupid (never cruised before - so that's my excuse) but why the importance of getting of the ship so quickly. Wouldn't you rather take your time getting up and having breakfast and then get off later? Or don't they feed you the last day?!?

For us, if it's a weekday, dh has to get to work, and if it's the weekend, we're still anxious to get home, unpack, and rest. The biggest draw for ME is that if you get off the ship early, you avoid the LONG lines getting through customs. I'd much rather breeze off the ship and relax at home than have a few extra relaxing hours on the ship, only to stand in line for hours trying to get OFF the ship.

ah...yes...but at a certain time...there is no food...(and of course no drinks!)...and really nothing to do...

Food options shut down to get ready for new cruise...and sometimes there isn't even a "scenic" place to sit...as maintanence crew is washing down the ship-- and the stewards are kind of "itchy" to clean your room...I find that last 2 hours a bit weird... no place to go and nothing to do....and I , of course, am already a bit annoyed that my cruise is over:o

tnt-shouldn't you be packing? Typical male. 2 days before a cruise most of us women folk would be packing.

Just kidding with you-hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Actually we are packed and ready to go!!!! My wife is so wonderful!!!

Rowan555 -

thanks - that makes sense. I didnt' take customs into consideration. Well I guess it's good that we will have VIP disembarkation since we are in a suite.

Thanks!

I didn't realize suite guests received VIP debarkation - thought it was only embarkation.

I got off Valor on Easter and was going to do self-assist until I discovered I had to much stuff. I had a 11:20 a.m. flight so I pulled my boarding pass the day before and was able to get ticket #2. I was on deck 3 by 7:15 a.m. and they started calling self-assist by 7:45 a.m. The only problem I found was they called the top and bottom decks first until they were complete but they also called ticket #1 and ticket #2 at the same time. I was outside and in a cab by 8:00 a.m. headed to the Miami airport, which I arrived by 8:15 a.m.

The biggest problem I had was at the Delta skycap counter when I went over by 5 pounds in luggage! I was lucky I had great skycappers because we got it down to 51 and the other 4 pounds went into the other bag, which the man had to sit on to close!

I'll be on the Imagination in July and wanted to know if self-assist is the same way on other ships?

Thanks!

I did not do this, although tempted. The day before we arrived back at Galveston, the cabin stewards cart for the suites on Deck 7 had a whole bunch of tags with #1 on them. Since we were self disembarking, didn't seem necessary. If you are on Deck 7 on the Conquest, you will be the last deck called for self disembarkation. A handful and we would have got off at exactly the same time and not have had to carry our luggage off.

JFWIW

Archived