Russian food in Sitka?

tallcruiser2

DW would like to have Russian food for lunch in Sitka on eary July HAL cruise.

Anyone know if there are any restaurants there serving Russian type meals?

Tallcruiser2

I tried doing some searches for you, but didn't come up with anything. Here is a post from 2007 on TA regarding Sitka. One of the locals responded with some names of restaurants, but don't know if they offer authentic Russian Food.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60966-i2899-k928944-l5586084-Cruise_Stop_Sitka_recommendations_from_locals_travelers-Sitka_Alaska.html#5586084

Perhaps this link can help you further:

http://www.sitka.org/

Sitka has very few dining options and I haven't noticed anything Russian.

It drives me crazy that there's hardly any restaurants that really do 'home cookin', regional family recipes. My boss is Russian Creole--realizing there's been no Russians here for 500 years makes the chances of true Russian cooking pretty slim--and his family recipes sound fascinating: traditional Russian dishes adapted to local foods or local dishes given Russian names.

But short of busting into his house at dinner time, in Juneau, there's a little hole in the wall downtown, that the only dish is fiery hot Russian dumpling. It's in The Wharf, a large blue building on the waterfront, after the last cruise ship. It's name always escapes me--for the longest time I didn't think it had a name--but it has a steamed up big plate glass window on the street right by the stop light.

Never been to Sitka, but I did have some great pelmeni in Juneau here:

http://www.10best.com/Juneau,AK/Restaurants/Best_Restaurants/67604/Pel%7C_Meni_Juneau_AK/

Being 3rd gen Ukrainian and my (soon to be)ex-wife is 1st gen Ukrainian, we always look for Slavic restaurants when we travel. She was appalled that they offered curry with the pelmeni, but I enjoyed the food very much!

Watch a video featuring the place here:

:D

Edited by Dirty Hobbit

Off Topic but...

p.s. if you are travels also send to to Vancouver and you are looking for good Ukrainian/Russian food, this place has the best Slavic food I have ever had (outside of my Mother-in-law's kitchen)! http://www.ukrainianvillagerestaurant.com/

This place in San Diegois a close second:

http://russiangeorgianfood.homestead.com/

:D

Thanks all for your comments. We had not found anything doing searches. DD is a junior in Highschool and has been taking Russian for 3 years. We have been to a few class functions that had various kinds of Russian food and thought we might find something there based on Sitka's history. We will keep an eye on on stop during July 3-10 NB HAL Ryndam.

Tallcruiser2

Dirty Hobbit, curry? I know thought they first sprinkled paprika then squirted that Vietnamese hot sauce on top. Yes, it's HOT folks! That's why you smear sour cream all over it. :D Thanks for giving me the name. I knew it was P-something, but they're not in the phone book--that much of a hole in the wall.

tallcruiser, be sure to visit the Russian Orthodox churches in Sitka and Juneau. The priests usually act as guides, and sometimes they're Russian. Also, I've noticed Russian kids working as waitresses before in Juneau, so your daughter may get someone to practice on!

Edited by tee_harbor

• 10 years later...

this may be ten years old, but i just bumped into it. everyone here should know that little outfit in Juneau with the Russian dumplings, Pel'Meni, branched out to Sitka and parked right next to the Russian church on Lincoln st! delicious! 

they serve their Alaskan style with the hotsauce, or you can order traditional, which I've been told is just a bit of vinegar with sour cream. so if you're ever back up that way, hope it helps after all these years.

• Like 1

Beware of eating foreign foods.  Grew up in NW Indiana & took Spanish.  The teacher prepared tacos & enchiladas one evening...  This was back in the days before even Taco Bells were available and I was hooked.  Fast forward a few years.  Moved to Texas for the food & temps. 🤣