Anchorage to Fairbanks - backup plan

cruiserdru

Currently, we are arriving by cruise ship in Whittier on 8/31, taking a ship transfer to Anchorage Airport, and an Alaska Air 1:40 pm flight to Fairbanks. We have a cruisetour (different cruiseline) starting 9/1 out of Fairbanks.

With all the concern over Redoubt impacting air traffic, I am looking for a backup plan for transport to Fairbanks. The only thing I have seen is the Alaska Railroad but that leaves around 8 am and doesn't appear to be an option.

Are there any other ways to get to Fairbanks?

If the planes aren't flying, one approach is to take the train on 9/1 and get off at Denali where my tour stops that evening.

Just trying to know what my options are if things go wrong.

For a backup plan, why not reserve a car for a one-way rental? Your trip is far enough off that we really have no idea whether Redoubt will still be an issue or not. Booking a bus or train would likely require a partial or full payment, but reserving a car doesn't. Why put any money at risk for something the odds are against you needing?

-- Eric

Archived