Buying Glass in Venice

Thanks to those who responded to my Murano thread -- REALLY appreciated the advice. If we don't go to Murano but still would like to pick up one or two pieces of glass in Venice at a reasonable cost (as I did when I was last there 30 yrs ago:eek:). Don't need anything particularly fancy. Are there a decent number of shops in & around Venice that will suffice?

Also, 30 yrs ago, there were lots of small items made of leather in Florence -- coin purses, bookmarks, wallets, and the like. Is this still true?

We found some very nice pieces of Murano glass in some of the higher end shops in the Square. Be very careful and check to make sure that you are getting authentic Murano glass. I found a Christmas ornament in a touristy shop and asked if it was Murano, of course, the sales clerk said it was, but is wasn't. Your cruise line might have information on which shops carry authentic merchandise.

I have been researching the island of Murano (we are going back in October and would like to visit). The prices on Murano are not always better than the ones you find in Venice. I guess that you really have to know what you are looking for to make sure that you get the real thing. People suggested buying directly from the factories.

We were in Florence several years ago and there were leather shops everywhere. I purchased gold and leather braclets at that time.

In the last few years we bought two chandeliers in Venice, one in Murano and the other not far from San Marco. The prices were comparable in both places although I thought that I got a more original piece away from Murano. Sometimes the ones in Murano tend to look so similar to each other. Most places will custom make a piece for you with your choice of glass colors. Happy shopping!

Joan

I have purchased glass both in Murano and in Venice in the squre. The prices are quite near each other. However, I was looking for a particular artist and found more of a selection when I went to the factory in Murano. Since I did purchase quantity of flutes, I was able to negotiate a small discount...very small.

Karen

Thanks to those who responded to my Murano thread -- REALLY appreciated the advice. If we don't go to Murano but still would like to pick up one or two pieces of glass in Venice at a reasonable cost (as I did when I was last there 30 yrs ago:eek:). Don't need anything particularly fancy. Are there a decent number of shops in & around Venice that will suffice?

Also, 30 yrs ago, there were lots of small items made of leather in Florence -- coin purses, bookmarks, wallets, and the like. Is this still true?

I have lots of Murano Jewellry and a brooch that I bought in Venice, but the last time, we bought 4 little cherries for our mantle, one in violet, green, orange and yellow, the colours are fantastic and absolutely love them.

Yes, you'll find lots of little leather items in Florence, our first trip, I picked up a leather glasses case.

Archived