How to choose on-line cruise agency?

SusieQQQ

I would like to give my DIL a gift certificate towards a cruise of her choosing. How do I go about picking an on-line agency for this? I have never been on a cruise so don't have experience to rely on.

We're not allowed to give out specific names of any kind of travel agency, but as a general thing, you just pick one out and take your chance. Sorry, but that's really the case. Personally, in this economy and with some of these agencies going out of business, I would prefer to use a local travel agent. A number of online agencies have been going out of business, some that were quite large, so you have to be very careful.

I am sure that you weren't asking for recommendations (as was previously posted that is not allowed) but rather how do you go about finding a reputable agency.

Some questions to ask any travel agent:

1. Their cruiseline experience - how long have they been in business, do they have experience with many different cruiselines, what organizations (business-wise) do they belong to? Are they affiliated with a large agency group?

2. What is their cancellation policy?

3. Do they actively keep tabs on the price of the cruise after booking and proactively seek the lower price when the price drops?

4. Do they book you as part of a group or would the reservation be a sole reservation?

5. Do they try to match you to a cruiseline that meets your particular ideals?

6. What is the payment policy? (when is final payment due and is it to the cruiseline or to the agency and then the agency pays - it should be to the cruiseline direct)

7. How do I contact you - are your available by phone or by email only?

8. Do you charge any hidden fees such as documentation fee or mailing fee if I want paper docs? Or do you only deal with e-docs?

Why don't you ask your son who they use? Or, ask DIL herself (with the pretense that you may be interested in a cruise and would like to contact the TA).

If not, then definitely ask the questions Hajekfam just posted. Contact a few reputable ones (those you see on TV perhaps) and see who has the best customer service and can answer all those questions without hesitation.

Unfortuantely with the state of affairs today, I would not give any advance money to TA's and just get a gift cert from a cruise line.

I have had great luck with online TA's but I am overly cautious verifying everything with the line I've booked on. Lately, there have been more and more vanishing as their margins get thinner and thinner.

Altho my travel agent does most of her work on line, I wouldn not buy any gift certificate or gift card from an on line agent I didn't know.

There must be a reputable" LIVE" travel agent in your DIL's home city. Have her use that. Easier to work with if you have problems.

On-line travel agencies are fine but I find that I enjoy researching on the Internet and then heading to my local travel agency. Sometimes I find I know more than the agent but I like to give the business to a local company.

Archived