Safe Beach Place to stay in Costa Rica

pnorth

Hi all, I usually cruise but this time I am trying to plan a land vacation (reuniting with 1st boyfriend from 33 years ago) and I have no idea where to look, but do not want to drive 3 hours from the San Jose airport to a hotel. I think I can also fly into another internation airport, but not sure of the name. Please help if anyone of you wonderful people know where to stay or what area for relaxing stay on the beach. I would so appreciate any input. Nothing too expensive, medium cost. Thanks fellow cruisers!!!

• 1 month later...

I stayed at the Barcelo Langosta All-Inclusive hotel, it was fantastic. There were many times that my boyfriend and I had the beach to ourselves. When you are on the beach, you do not see anything except trees. There is nothing else around. We flew into a different airport, I think it was Liberia, but I could be mistaken on the name. It was not San Jose though.

You may also fly into the international airport @ Liberia. There are flights there on most all of the major airlines(Continental thru Houston; Delta thru Atlanta, etc.) About an hour or less from the airport in Liberia are the numerous beaches in the Guanacaste region.(Playa Tamarindo, Playa Grande, Playa Longusto, Playa Negra, and many others). Tamarindo is one of the most popular and has all of the necessary conveniences. Playa Grande is the more secluded beach due to the fact that it is the nesting area for the Leatherback turtles and is a protected zone. Unless you are set on a hotel for your lodging, I would suggest checking out the rental houses, condos, and villas that are available and very reasonable. You can check them out on vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner) or check out tamarindo.com. San Jose is a beautiful city, but too busy and too much like a big city in the US. One other site that has lots of info is virtualtourist.com.

Anyway, best of luck on your search, you'll have a wonderful time.

• 2 weeks later...

I read where Jaco is a real party town. Ladies of the night everywhere. Also, be aware of your sourroundings. Jaco can be not so friendly to tourists.

One thing you might check is Trip Advisor. Have fun.

My DW wants to move to Costa Rica. We have researched it alot.

Archived