Open seating dining question......

bankonus

Okay, so I have a few cruises under my belt, but never had the opportunity to experience the open seating dining. Can one of you who are familiar please tell me how it works? Which ships offer this as well? I have early dining waitlisted for my June 7th cruise. It is only my husband and myself this time so we could be more flexible. I'm sure you don't get the same table or waiters as is the case with the traditional dining am I correct? Also does this have to be arranged before sailing? Thanks

Okay, so I have a few cruises under my belt, but never had the opportunity to experience the open seating dining. Can one of you who are familiar please tell me how it works? Which ships offer this as well? I have early dining waitlisted for my June 7th cruise. It is only my husband and myself this time so we could be more flexible. I'm sure you don't get the same table or waiters as is the case with the traditional dining am I correct? Also does this have to be arranged before sailing? Thanks

What ship are you on would help answer your question.....

Yes...You arrangedining before cruising so they can set up the proper amount of tables for assigned and anytime.....

What ship are you on would help answer your question.....

Yes...You arrangedining before cruising so they can set up the proper amount of tables for assigned and anytime.....

Sorry it was in my signature...Splendor.

Sorry it was in my signature...Splendor.
I have everyones siggys hidden. To much to look at lol...

Splendor is not yet on anytime and is just listed as starting before summer 2010......;)

My friend booked our cruise last fall on the Prinsendam (HAL) and selected open dining. It was horrible. The first three nights they gave us a pager and we had to wait 30-45 minutes. When we were seated, it was hard to get a waiter, and he was rushed and confused as he was running all over servicing multiple tables at various stages of dining. Things were left off our plates, some of the food was still frozen. When we spoke with the head waiter, he advised that we should call during the day and reserve a time. We tried that and could never get anything other than 5 or 5:15 yet when we left after eating our meal the place was just about empty as when we came in. We never had the same waiter twice so we never had the service, friendiness or support of a person who would normally have come to know our names and preferences. You get to fill in a part of a table if they get a no-show. Later in the cruise I spoke with the cruise director and the head of the dining/hotel operations and they changed us to an established time and table and the service improved dramatically. BTW after cornering the head chef and the Pastry chef I learned that all their pies, cakes and pastry comes on board pre-made commercially, and frozen. This was the poorest cruise experience I have ever had and will never take open dining or HAL again

I love anytime dining and we always go around 6:00. We have never had to wait for a table and our waiters have always been great. Now on the flip side this will only be our 2nd Carnival cruise coming up so I guess we shall see. Oh and also frozen in the middle I would be on the Chef not on the waiter.

My friend booked our cruise last fall on the Prinsendam (HAL) and selected open dining. It was horrible. The first three nights they gave us a pager and we had to wait 30-45 minutes. When we were seated, it was hard to get a waiter, and he was rushed and confused as he was running all over servicing multiple tables at various stages of dining. Things were left off our plates, some of the food was still frozen. When we spoke with the head waiter, he advised that we should call during the day and reserve a time. We tried that and could never get anything other than 5 or 5:15 yet when we left after eating our meal the place was just about empty as when we came in. We never had the same waiter twice so we never had the service, friendiness or support of a person who would normally have come to know our names and preferences. You get to fill in a part of a table if they get a no-show. Later in the cruise I spoke with the cruise director and the head of the dining/hotel operations and they changed us to an established time and table and the service improved dramatically. BTW after cornering the head chef and the Pastry chef I learned that all their pies, cakes and pastry comes on board pre-made commercially, and frozen. This was the poorest cruise experience I have ever had and will never take open dining or HAL again

What does open seating on HAL have to do with Carnival?

We have used the open seating option on the Legend and were so impressed that we will no longer get on a ship that does not offer the option. We had much better service than with traditional seating and were never rushed. We never had to wait even five minutes for a table.

On Carnival with open seating you appear at the dining room anytime that it is open and are seated, just like at a land based restaurant. You have the option of making a reservation or not. You also may elect to sit alone or to share a table. You can request a specific wait team, and stay with the same one every night.

If you want the flexability to eat at a time that suits you instead of with the masses, it is without a doubt the way to go.

I have not used open seating on Carnival and agree one cruise line will be different then another. I had a co-worker who sailed on Hal and hated open seating. Howrver we have sailed on Princess and loved it non of the issues listed above. The reason my co-worker did not like it is because they are really into dining and enjoy having the same tablemates-we are not. We perfer usually having a table for two, which we did but some nights did sit at a large table. Sometimes on Carnival we did not even go to the dining room because we do not like the long time it takes to eat, we cruise for the ports and sitting on our balcony. We are using open dining on our December cruise on the Dream. While I agree it is not for everyone, that's why Carnival gives you a choice.

If you have a different wait team each night, how does the tipping work? My wife and I like to prepay the standard tips prior to the cruise and then tip extra where and when we feel it is appropriate. Just a little curious. . .

If you have a different wait team each night, how does the tipping work? My wife and I like to prepay the standard tips prior to the cruise and then tip extra where and when we feel it is appropriate. Just a little curious. . .

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that all the tips from everyone having open seating would be split between the dining staff. If you wish you can give an extra tip each night if you feel your servers did an outstanding job. I did not feel that we had any better service then in a nice restaurant. The waiters did not call you by name, stay long for conversation or have things waiting for you each night, like some people perfer. But again this is not what we want, dining is not why we cruise, it would be way down on our list, that is why open seating is not for everyone, I just hate someone at me all the time when I'm eating, just want to get in, get my food and get out.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that all the tips from everyone having open seating would be split between the dining staff. If you wish you can give an extra tip each night if you feel your servers did an outstanding job. I did not feel that we had any better service then in a nice restaurant. The waiters did not call you by name, stay long for conversation or have things waiting for you each night, like some people perfer. But again this is not what we want, dining is not why we cruise, it would be way down on our list, that is why open seating is not for everyone, I just hate someone at me all the time when I'm eating, just want to get in, get my food and get out.

Tips are given to whoever waits on you by the ship. They keep track of who waits on who. They are not pooled. If you like a team you can give them extra each night or find them on the last night and give them something then.

Tips are given to whoever waits on you by the ship. They keep track of who waits on who. They are not pooled. If you like a team you can give them extra each night or find them on the last night and give them something then.

For open seating that cannot possibly be correct. No one knows what table you are sitting at so no one can keep track. The same as breakfast or lunch if you eat in the dining room.

For open seating that cannot possibly be correct. No one knows what table you are sitting at so no one can keep track. The same as breakfast or lunch if you eat in the dining room.

When you have open seating you are required to present your S&S card, and they make a record fo where you are seated. it is not like breakfast and lunch where you just get seated. At dinner you are asked to identify yourself and they verify your identity in the system.

Darn....So much for trying something new! Thanks:p

Your time dining is no different from dining out on land. You show up and wait for a table or you make a reservation. We dine out a lot at home so we will stick with traditional on cruises. THAT makes it different, not more of the same.

Some say they don't like the rush back from port to get ready for early dining. I find that imaginary. 98% of the time you MUST be back aboard for sail away 1 to 2 hours before early dining. i.e. 5PM sail, must be on board by 4:30. Which means more like 4PM. Early dining 6PM, where's the rush? Plus, "We like to eat around 7PM at home." Well 7 at home might be 2 hours different from where the ship is, AND the activities on board are scheduled to accommodate traditional dining times. Early shows and late shows are not timed with "your time dining"

We will stay with traditional on ships. Can't get that at home.

When you have open seating you are required to present your S&S card, and they make a record fo where you are seated. it is not like breakfast and lunch where you just get seated. At dinner you are asked to identify yourself and they verify your identity in the system.

Is this just how Carnival does open seating? We haven't had the chance to do open with Carnival but will be in the fall, but Princess does not keep track of where you sit or make you show your card when doing their open dining. I can't imagine Carnival going through that hassle. It would be much easier and make much more sense to just divide the alotted tips from passengers between ALL the waitstaff whether they are working the traditional dining room or the open time dining room.

I'm looking forward to the open dining as on our last cruise we were sitting with the same people the whole cruise. They were happy with each other but not too much with us, as we weren't republicans who like to brag about how worldly, traveled, etc. we are. Just a little too humble for that......

Is this just how Carnival does open seating? We haven't had the chance to do open with Carnival but will be in the fall, but Princess does not keep track of where you sit or make you show your card when doing their open dining. I can't imagine Carnival going through that hassle. It would be much easier and make much more sense to just divide the alotted tips from passengers between ALL the waitstaff whether they are working the traditional dining room or the open time dining room.

Carnival pays the tips to the waiter and asst. that actually serves you.

Princess, altho a sister company, pools all the tips to be divided among the service staff. Therefore they have no need to track who sits where.

All I can tell you is that this is how is was done on the Legend last August.

If they don't do this there is no way to keep track of whether or not you are supposed to be in open seating or not. NCL, which is all open seating does not keep track.

We've had the anytime on Princess and loved it. Last year on the Valor, had the traditional and really disliked it...went to Scarletts 3X (make sure you go here if on the Valor!) instead of the MDR. On the Liberty in a few weeks and are booked for the open dining. Really glad to see Carnival giving the option.

On the Carnival info sheet, it states that they charge you a per diem tip amount that is split among the kitchen staff. How far reaching beyond the waiter and assistant waiter, I don't know. This was how it was on HAL too, but I requested an opt out (without any arguements from pursers desk who removed it from my bill) and tipped those people beyond the norm who gave me exceptional and friendly service and little or nothing to others who gave me poor service. Why should poor service be rewarded? and it is when it is in a pool, invisible, and a sure thing. That also has to be a demotivator for hard workers when they see those doing poor work getting an equal share. I guess it's ok if you do not mind tipping twice to make up for it to the good ones. I don't. This Sunday will mark my 9th Carnival cruise and I will treat tipping the same way. Seems like the providers appreciate it more getting their full tip direct.

Archived