Last-minute question on dining...

Mom2ncr

I leave May 3rd for my first cruise (Imagination) and have a question...

We are confirmed for the early dining at 6:00. Does that mean everyone who wants to eat in the dining room shows up at that time? Or do people trickle in as they want, as long as they're out before the late diners?

You should try to be there at 6 pm. The meal takes longer than you can imagine. The wait staff will be feeding everyone at the same time to get everyone out in order for the next seating to arrive. It's a courtesy to the staff to be there on time.

There will be a line waiting to get in. Wait about 10 minutes after opening and you can usually walk right in with no wait. I wouldnt' wait any longer than that because you don't want to throw service off. Easier to get out all the apps at once, all the entrees close together etc.

Define "trickle in." :confused:

6 pm means 6 pm. It is unacceptable to be "fashionably late" as you would put service behind. Your waitstaff will wait for the entire table to be seated before taking orders, unless it is known beforehand that someone is not coming.

The staff needs time to turn the MDR for late seating, so I would advise you to be not more than 10 minutes late for your assigned seating.

Also check out the menus that are posted daily outside the dining rooms. That way you know what you want to order when you are seated. I cant' believe how long some people take to decide and the waitstaff has to keep returning to see if they are ready yet. It's not a life altering decision LOL

This means everyone shows up at the same time, pretty much. If you are late they will continue to serve you. On my last cruise, we had a party of 31. Many of my guests were 1/2 hour to an hour late on the formal night due to way too much partying in Ensenada and it was no problem. The waiter just came over and took their order!

I would highly recommend late seating. Its very hard especially when you are in a port to make it back in time to get ready for dinner. Have fun!!

I leave May 3rd for my first cruise (Imagination) and have a question...

We are confirmed for the early dining at 6:00. Does that mean everyone who wants to eat in the dining room shows up at that time? Or do people trickle in as they want, as long as they're out before the late diners?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! You should always arrive on time for dinner as any delays in early seating delays late dining as well. That being said, you are not necessarily early dining. You have requested it and will most likely get it. But there are times that there are more requests for early than there is space for. You can go see the Maitre D' and request it be changed if need be. Again, no guaranty, but they will try to change you if possible.

Have a wonderful first cruise, you will be hooked!

Loz

I'm glad I asked! In my mind, I pictured that it would be too overwhelming for the staff for everyone to show up at 6pm, and that they would prefer a staggering until 7pm. I guess I was thinking of a land restaurant and not a mass serving of food to a large group at once. Thanks to all....

Archived