Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

June - I have a group going in October that are concerned! How do I answer that?

According to the webmd article below there is no way to tell how long this will last. But contrary to what is being speculated on, you cannot catch this flu from eating pork. It is a swine flu that mutated to make itself infectious to humans that had direct contact with infected animals. Once it infected a human, that's when human to human transmission took off. The WHO and CDC are particularly concerned because the population in Mexico who have died are largely 20 - 50's aged and that would normally be the last age group to become infected.

INFORMATION FROM WEBMD

Swine Flu - Swine Flu Symptoms - What Is Swine Flu - Swine Flu Treatment

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20090421/swine-flu-faq

To view, click on the address above or copy and paste it into your Web browser.

I read an AP article earlier that indicated that Homeland Security were checking people for flu symptoms as they are coming back into the states via land or air. I would guess that will probably be true as the cruise ships start returning. Any respiratory symptoms or a temp over 38C (100.4F) are diverted for special questioning and possible isolation.

Being that I'm on the Valor next week with a stop in Cozumel, I'm guessing there's a more than 50% chance that port will be canceled. Would they make an effort to include another stop? Key West is on the way back to Miami.

I really think we are going to find out that it is spread more by bad Food prep practices than anything else.

There is a really good reason why it is all mild cases outside of Mexico.

I believe it is because people seek medical attention sooner here than in Mexico. Medical care in the states is more readily available and persons from other countries tend to wait until they are more sick before they seek professional care. The antiviral medication that works for this flu works best if started within 48 hours. If started later, it may not work at all. (I was in-serviced today about the swine flu!!) They are requesting that if anyone becomes sick with repiratory symptoms and a high fever, go to the doctor right away....just in case.

Thanks, okgirl. For more information, check out our just-published Q&A on swine flu: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3193

According to the webmd article below there is no way to tell how long this will last. But contrary to what is being speculated on, you cannot catch this flu from eating pork. It is a swine flu that mutated to make itself infectious to humans that had direct contact with infected animals. Once it infected a human, that's when human to human transmission took off. The WHO and CDC are particularly concerned because the population in Mexico who have died are largely 20 - 50's aged and that would normally be the last age group to become infected.

INFORMATION FROM WEBMD

Swine Flu - Swine Flu Symptoms - What Is Swine Flu - Swine Flu Treatment

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20090421/swine-flu-faq

To view, click on the address above or copy and paste it into your Web browser.

I read an AP article earlier that indicated that Homeland Security were checking people for flu symptoms as they are coming back into the states via land or air. I would guess that will probably be true as the cruise ships start returning. Any respiratory symptoms or a temp over 38C (100.4F) are diverted for special questioning and possible isolation.

One of the reasons we are paying specific attention to this thread, here on the Carnival forum, is because we have almost 200 members and hosts (and LauraS, our community manager) currently onboard Carnival Splendor en route to the Mexican Riviera. We wanted to create a place for them to share information about what's happening onboard, as well as a place for everyone to chat about their opinions and concerns.

Keep checking back for details from Laura and the crew. So far -- swine flu is a barely discussed topic on the ship, ironically....

Actually RCCL boards had several, but they merged them altogether then moved them. Every time one pops up they merge it with the others:rolleyes:

Just to clarify, Laura, since we were losing our phone connection -- there are suspected cases in Baja California, north of Cabo. At this point, there has been no confirmed swine flu in Cabo or any other cruise port. Thanks so much for keeping us posted!!

On board with the "group" right now, I can tell you that as of dinner last night, there really wasn't much concern about "swine flu" and how it may affect our cruise. Oh, we were joking a bit here and there -- especially when the waiter announced RIBS were on the menu -- but I suspect everyone was too excited to be starting their vacation to give it much thought.

In talking with Melissa (our Managing Editor and creator of this thread) late yesterday she did mention a few confirmed cases out of Cabo. Now, that makes things a bit different, for me at least. I'm perfectly content in staying on board to be honest, as are the rest of the hosts and SO's in our immediate party. During the day I'll see what others in the group have to say as well.

So far, not a peep out of Carnival in any announcements on board.

Laura

I was watching the local news in San Diego. They had a news flashed from the port. The camera and the newscaster were in front of a ship that looks like a HAL ship that returned this morning from a Mexico. As of 1215 in the afternoon the ship was not cleared. At this time it was unknown if the Swing Flu or customs were causing the problems. I can imagine the kaos there. People trying to board and traffic dropping and picking up passengers and missed flights. I am glade my Mexico trip is in 6 months. The flu should have passed by....

Thanks for the tip -- we'll look into this!

I was watching the local news in San Diego. They had a news flashed from the port. The camera and the newscaster were in front of a ship that looks like a HAL ship that returned this morning from a Mexico. As of 1215 in the afternoon the ship was not cleared. At this time it was unknown if the Swing Flu or customs were causing the problems. I can imagine the kaos there. People trying to board and traffic dropping and picking up passengers and missed flights. I am glade my Mexico trip is in 6 months. The flu should have passed by....

I didn't read all the posts, but I wanted to say that the cases in NYC are all kids that were in Cancun during Easter week. I don't know about any other areas of Mexico, but Cancun is definitely affected.

Melissa if I understood the news this morning I believe it was the students that had spring break in Cancun and they had the swine flu now it didn't say where all they had gone other than Cancun. I am not sure where they flew in to. The only time I have visited Mexico it has been with Carnival but that is definately where they had been on spring break so it is one of the ports or right there at Calica isn't it?

Melissa if I understood the news this morning I believe it was the students that had spring break in Cancun and they had the swine flu now it didn't say where all they had gone other than Cancun. I am not sure where they flew in to. The only time I have visited Mexico it has been with Carnival but that is definately where they had been on spring break so it is one of the ports or right there at Calica isn't it?

I doubt they picked up anything at Cancun. Calica is south of Cancun.

I'm guessing they flew through Mexico City and the same with many of the other cases. A lot of flights go through there.

At a school here in Richardson, TX, one student has come down with Swine Flu and they have closed the entire school for the rest of the week. They are telling all students to avoid contact with other children for the rest of the week.

Did anyone watch the Today show this morning?

They reported that these students had been to Cancun for Spring Break.

The eight swine flu cases in New York City involved students at Saint Francis Preparatory School in Queens. All have recovered fully, according to a news release from the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

On NBC local TV news channel in Tampa they just announced that Carnival has no plans to change itineraries away from Mexico. Carnival is based in Florida. No idea how accurate this is, but that is what was reported.

Very interesting thread

Carnival stock went down about 13 1/2% today along with several airline and hotel stocks.

If Carnival drops below $20 again, it may be a good time to pick up 100 shares for your shareholder OBC as I think it's a bargain at that price.

Hopefully this will all blow over by my 22 Nov sailing on the Splendor

I believe it is because people seek medical attention sooner here than in Mexico. Medical care in the states is more readily available and persons from other countries tend to wait until they are more sick before they seek professional care. The antiviral medication that works for this flu works best if started within 48 hours. If started later, it may not work at all. (I was in-serviced today about the swine flu!!) They are requesting that if anyone becomes sick with repiratory symptoms and a high fever, go to the doctor right away....just in case.

The curious thing is that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with healthcare or how long they waited. The strain in the US has been mild and most people haven't even had any treatment (with anti-virals). They do have the anti-virals in Mexico as well. It almost sounds like two different flu viruses. What I'm wondering is if they are checking to see if the US people have had the flu shot? Perhaps it doesn't stop this swine flu but helps to make it less serious? I'd think that a majority of the Mexican people don't take the flu vaccine but the US folks do. Just an idea!

The curious thing is that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with healthcare or how long they waited. The strain in the US has been mild and most people haven't even had any treatment (with anti-virals). They do have the anti-virals in Mexico as well. It almost sounds like two different flu viruses. What I'm wondering is if they are checking to see if the US people have had the flu shot? Perhaps it doesn't stop this swine flu but helps to make it less serious? I'd think that a majority of the Mexican people don't take the flu vaccine but the US folks do. Just an idea!

Apparently the flu shot is useless against the swine flu.

2 weeks? Man, the longest we ever closed was 3 days to disinfect the classrooms. That's gotta eat into a kid's vacation ...

it does. they have to have 180 contact days, period. whatever their scheduled day out of school was, it will now be pushed back the same number of days that the district was closed.

I guess the good news is now my Mom has something new to freak out about. She's been convinced DH and I were going to get hijacked by pirates for a few weeks. Now she's forgotten about the pirates :p

ROFL

At a school here in Richardson, TX, one student has come down with Swine Flu and they have closed the entire school for the rest of the week. They are telling all students to avoid contact with other children for the rest of the week.

this is getting ridiculous in texas. two districts closed down? it is frikking TAKS week. tests begin TOMORROW.

Archived