Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

I'm leaving on Saturday on the Liberty with a stop scheduled for Cozumel.

If we stop we stop, if they choose another port it's fine and if they choose to have a day at sea that's fine too.

I am on vacation and if the ship wants to go in circles I don't care - I am on vacation, hopefully in the sun and don't have to worry about work, house or anything that will distract me from my DH, book and DOD.

I do feel sorry for the people that depend on the cruise ships for their livelyhood.

Brinda

My sentiments exactly! We're also going to be sailing on the Liberty May 2 and I expect to enjoy and make the most of my vacation regardless of where we are Thursday May 7.

On a side note the doctor that I work for told me to take the normal precautions that you should take during flu season (wash your hands with soap and water). He said he doesn't think there is a lot to worry about if you have a good immune system. He also thinks that the media is making it much bigger and worse that it really is.

Although this information is true for most known flus, it is NOT true of this one which seems to be selecting people with presumably good immune systems. The bodies seem to be producing cytochine (sp?) storms in an attempt to protect the body. Doesn't work and causes serious difficulties. The doctor you work for needs to do his homework.

We leave on Saturday from Port Canaveral for a Western Carribean run on the Glory. While I am sad that we will most likely miss Cozumel, I hope that we still get to stop in Belize and Costa Maya. They are way down from Mexico City. But no matter what happens, there will be sun and fun to be had regardless. We apparently are jinxed. Our cruise last Sept ended up being diverted from Western to Eastern while we were onboard. We missed the hurricanes though...and let's be honest who wants to deal with the rough seas!!M YUCK!! But we changed this one when we got back and lo and behold....swine flu. :p

We are packed and ready to go wherever the ship takes us, we just cannot wait!!!!!

This is so upsetting. Just read that Princess Cruises changed their Puerta Villarta and Cabo ports to Catalina and San Diego. Why would I want to go there, living in Los Angeles. It is absolutely freezing at sea right now. I dont have a travel insurance, but I hope they let me change my cruise for another time at least.

Kat

I also don't think I would enjoy a cruise to no where, at least not at the prices we paid for this trip. I would expect a big price decrease if there were no ports. It comes down to preference. Some love the ship life and wouldn't mind staying on board, other don't enjoy it as much and the ports are a very important part of their cruise experience. Neither is right or wrong.

I agree with you. I guess the cruise experience falls into two categories. Do you like a cruise for the sailing or for the transportation to various ports.

I agree with you. I guess the cruise experience falls into two categories. Do you like a cruise for the sailing or for the transportation to various ports.

Yep DH falls into the as long as I'm on the boat I'm happy category. I fall into the I enjoy to sail but want my port day category.

Honestly I don't know how we've managed to stay married so long :D

i wouldnt like a cancelation.....as my vacation started yesterday....to late to change .....and cruise leaves may 3rd on Splendor........flight paid for....non refundable fares i'd rather cruise to nowhere if that is an option

We may be cruising to nowhere together :)

I cruise for the total package which includes ports.

I doubt many people book cruises to places they don't want to go.

Have you seen the people who return again and again to Jamaica, claiming to despise it every time? I suspect that there is one set of people who chose cruises based on prices and departure ports.

I emailed my DD's (5) Pediatrician to ask them what precautions I should take with her since we are going on a cruise to Mexico on 5/11. The assistant called me back and told me that they recommend avoiding large groups and travel to Mexico. Hello.... it is a cruise to Mexico!!! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. :D Luckily this was not the Dr answering my question cause I would seriously have to think about changing Drs.

Hope all the people who had to miss their ports today are enjoying a wonderful sea day. I will be sad if we have to miss Cozumel or Progresso, but I am one of those people who will be happy to just be on the ship!!

We are leaving for mexico in carnival splendor on May 3rd, and I am traveling with 3 years old. I don't know what should I do? is it a good idea to go right now or not?

Wait until Carnivals announcement tonight. If it's safe they will stop there, if not, they won't. They are not going to put their passengers in a dangerous situation, no way they want the liability for that.

We are leaving for mexico in carnival splendor on May 3rd, and I am traveling with 3 years old. I don't know what should I do? is it a good idea to go right now or not?

Wait for Carnival to post on their website at 5:00pm about decisions. Carnival depends on their customers and no way will they endanger them and hence lose them as customers

Archived