Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

That's correct ... Laura's technical stop does seem to indicate that the ship is planning ahead for a Passenger Vessel Services Act (often referred to as Jones Act) requirement. The Splendor cruise is an all-Mexico routing roundtrip from Los Angeles. If they stay at sea or call on California ports in lieu of every Mexico port, there would be no international stop, which is required of foreign-flagged ship. Today's stopover would fulfill the requirement. NCL America's ship is U.S.-flagged, so the PVSA rule does not apply.

It is because it is American flagged.

This is what many of the doctors are saying - if you watch the stories on the National News channels that doctors are saying there is no need to panic - Just be alert and cautious – take normal precautions that we all should be anyway – wash your hands several times through out the day and be aware of what you are touching – keep you hands away from you eyes, nose and mouth.

We are sailing on the Splendor May 10th and will be very disappointed if we are not allowed off the ship! There have been no reported cases in any of the cities we will be visiting, there are always health threats (norovirus, other stains of flu) that people need to be aware of and take steps to avoid but, I don’t see how sitting on a ship with 3300 people (1 or 2 who may already be infected) is any better than taking a trip to the beach!

I am on the same ship with you!!!! My doctor told me to get a shot of Gamma Globuline to boost the immune system - never hurts :)

My guess would be Either Belize City, Jamaica, or Grand Cayman...any other thoughts?

I sail on the Valor May 3rd with a stop in Cozumel scheduled for the 8th. Not sure who's scheduled to be in port already, but Key West would make sense as a substitution. Or just stay in Belize for an extra day. Then I can visit Altun Ha and visit one of the Cays.

I sail on the Valor May 3rd with a stop in Cozumel scheduled for the 8th. Not sure who's scheduled to be in port already, but Key West would make sense as a substitution. Or just stay in Belize for an extra day. Then I can visit Altun Ha and visit one of the Cays.

I'm on that sailing too and that day over 10K passengers are scheduled to be in port (Valor, Triumph and Conquest). I guess we'll know in a couple hours if that actually happens.

If it's such a big deal why are they still allowing thousands of airlines passengers to depart from Mexico City and land right here in the US every day? Wouldn't that be just as precautionary as a cruise ship not visiting ports that have no reported cases of infection?

Hope to hear something soon since we're sailing out on Saturday and two of our stops are in Mexico. I would understand one additional sea day but I hope they'll reroute us to another port if they are both cancelled... four sea days on a seven day cruise would be a bit excessive.

I'm supposed to leave Mobile, AL on the Holiday in a day and a half. Headed for Cozumel. I called and they told me they haven't made an official announcement yet but we will NOT be going to Mexico. Once they make the announcement, he said I'd have 24 hours to cancel for a full refund. He also said they are still deciding on whether to take us to another port or just do a big circle in the ocean.

I'm on that sailing too and that day over 10K passengers are scheduled to be in port (Valor, Triumph and Conquest). I guess we'll know in a couple hours if that actually happens.

If it's such a big deal why are they still allowing thousands of airlines passengers to depart from Mexico City and land right here in the US every day? Wouldn't that be just as precautionary as a cruise ship not visiting ports that have no reported cases of infection?

You seem to imply that the port cancellations have been mandated by some authority. Carnival's actions are voluntary on their part.

NCL, Disney and RCI are still visiting Mexico relying on their existing infection control procedures.

All of the cruise lines visiting Mexico are in a very hard spot. Of course they want to provide their passengers a great vacation but if some passengers get sick, it could be a disaster for them.

You seem to imply that the port cancellations have been mandated by some authority. Carnival's actions are voluntary on their part.

NCL, Disney and RCI are still visiting Mexico relying on their existing infection control procedures.

All of the cruise lines visiting Mexico are in a very hard spot. Of course they want to provide their passengers a great vacation but if some passengers get sick, it could be a disaster for them.

Exactly can you imagine the press the cruiseline will receive if they take a passenger to MX against travel recommendations and come back with sick passengers? Carnival is playing it smart.

Exactly right, Mick...

If I was Carnival I'd rather refund port fees, toss in some OBC and make sure there's plenty to do on board rather than face lawsuits if folks get sick and perhaps, God forbid, die...

Safety of the passengers is ALWAYS paramount be it a hurricane or the flu...

We just got off the Triumph on Sunday, after cruising to Cozumel, now I've got to tell you We've got the post cruise blues really bad, and our skin is more red than usual, not to mention that we don't feel like going to work at all. Do you think we need to be checked out?

Thanks for keeping us posted..

We are suppose to go to the Mexican Riviera so all the stops are Mexico. Right now, none of the ships except the Mariner has stopped there. The Mariner has stopped in Cabo and from reports are letting people off. I'm not interested in 7 days at sea or stops in Catalina Island, Ensenada or San Diego for what we paid for this cruise. Waiting a few days and if things get worse will forfeit deposit and jump ship to Alaska. Unfortunately RCI does not have that excellent clause like Carnival's 24 hour cancel with no penalty after notice.

So, let me see if I understand this - we'll get a update soon as to our cruise on Imagination departing May 4th to Key West and Cozumel. If they eliminate the Cozumel stop, will they be required by the Jones Act to stop at a different foreign port? Thanks, in advance for the help - looking forward to the trip no matter where we go.

I emailed my DD's (5) Pediatrician to ask them what precautions I should take with her since we are going on a cruise to Mexico on 5/11. The assistant called me back and told me that they recommend avoiding large groups and travel to Mexico. Hello.... it is a cruise to Mexico!!! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. :D Luckily this was not the Dr answering my question cause I would seriously have to think about changing Drs.

Hope all the people who had to miss their ports today are enjoying a wonderful sea day. I will be sad if we have to miss Cozumel or Progresso, but I am one of those people who will be happy to just be on the ship!!

This flu is different. Most of the deaths in Mexico have been young, healthy people. Your doctor gave you the best advice that he could given the situation. Why would you rather have a more reckless doctor?

Mrs. Rat and I were in Cozumel off of Carnival Ecstasy last Saturday. This was a quick get away 4 night cruise since we had some last minute free time. It was our 25th cruise and the shortest ever...we were on Pacific Princess to the Amazon and back January 2-30, 2009.

At any rate the weather was perfect...the sand was pure white at San Francisco Beach [our favorite spot on Cozumel] the water was beautiful, the food and beverages excellent, no visible flu, no drug gang shooting...no kidnappers....a perfect day in every way.

A lot of this stuff is mostly hype and I feel very sorry for the hardworking people of Mexico, who suffer the most from all of this chaos. The odds of any negative event due to visiting Mexico is low, but, as usual, media hysterics force excessive over reaction.

As with other influenza viral infections, people infected with the flu are contagious from a day before they feel sick until their symptoms have resolved (usually about 1 week for adults, but can be up to 2 weeks for young kids).

Edit: Fever IS one of the symptoms, but not having a fever does not mean you are not infected. Incubation period for swine flu is only 1-2 days after infection.

However, the virus is not spread by simple proximity. To get infected by someone who is not showing ANY symptoms, you would have to be sharing .... soda, utensils.... that sort of thing. Outdoors, on the beach under the hot sun? A great place to avoid any infection.

So.... we are back to the same precautions for avoiding Norovirus (Norwalk).

And we experienced cruisers (and the cruise lines) have become experts at that.

Archived