Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

on the imagination right now and carnival is not going to cozumel tommorrow, we now have a sea day tommorrow and thursday going to nassau.

On the glass half full side, your avatar is pretty hot. :D

Seriously, you are better off not going at this point, until they have a good idea of how bad it is.:)

They were advising us not to travel to Mexico two weeks ago because of the drug cartels. I guess now the cartels have the flu and can't kidnap or murder us. I still plan on going on my cruise in two weeks. Since there are confirmed cases 45 miles away it will be safer for me to travel then stay home anyway.

Same here!

Its seems our friends at Cruisemates have written an editorial that disagrees with the decision of the cruiselines to cancel Mexican ports for the time being.

Also, and if anyone posted this I apologize, but Carnival has a list of ships underway and their new routes on the website.

does anyone have a clue where the destiny is going to be heading in stead of coz this week?

I just got off the phone with Carnival and they said they will have answers by the end of the day tomorrow, and we are supose to be on a plabe down there tomorrow afternoon

First post, First Cruise, First Pandemic Scare :rolleyes:

Fantasy, May 11th Progresso & Cozumel.

I feel bad because I am probably one of the few that chose a cruise for my wife and I solely on the port and days that I had available. I hated that it was Mexico, did my honeymoon in Cozumel many years ago, but this trip was about the Cruise experience so the destination didn't matter.

Now I am a bit torn because I would rather go anywhere I have never been than Mexico again. I couldn't care less about the Flu scare. However, for all those people that have their hearts set on the destination more than the cruise, I am pulling for you that it doesn't get changed.

Hopefully we will know something sooner rather than later. I do not think this is all going to blow over in a week though, so if I was betting, like I will be at the Holdem Tables :), I would guess we will be going to Key West.

Will probably be on these boards alot over the next few weeks. Glad I found this place.

More info has come in.

Carnival Fantasy to Key West instead of Progreso and a sea day for Cozumel...

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/itinerary_updates.aspx

Why?!!! There have been exactly ZERO reported cases in the Yucatan!! Carnival is bowing to media panic-mongering. How disappointing!

We'll be in Cancun in 12 days. I'm hoping my all-benevolent government doesn't cancel my trip for me....keeping my fingers crossed.

I have left from New Orleans to Key West before on Commodore and it was cool. Just hope they take us somewhere besides another day at sea

Fantasy May 2nd

I wish Commodore was still around.

I know Fantasy can make it there, just sure about the legalities if it doesn't stop in a foreign port. Of course, New Orleans could count as the northernmost Caribbean port. ;)

First post, First Cruise, First Pandemic Scare :rolleyes:

Fantasy, May 11th Progresso & Cozumel.

I feel bad because I am probably one of the few that chose a cruise for my wife and I solely on the port and days that I had available. I hated that it was Mexico, did my honeymoon in Cozumel many years ago, but this trip was about the Cruise experience so the destination didn't matter.

Now I am a bit torn because I would rather go anywhere I have never been than Mexico again. I couldn't care less about the Flu scare. However, for all those people that have their hearts set on the destination more than the cruise, I am pulling for you that it doesn't get changed.

Hopefully we will know something sooner rather than later. I do not think this is all going to blow over in a week though, so if I was betting, like I will be at the Holdem Tables :), I would guess we will be going to Key West.

Will probably be on these boards alot over the next few weeks. Glad I found this place.

I am also booked for this cruise - a college graduation present for myself, and I too am restricted in dates - I start my new job right after we come back. I too am not worried about swine flu, but am more worried about the fact that currently the Fantasy has only KEY WEST as a port. What? Ugh, that sounds like a nightmare. I want to swim with dolphins!!! That is what I was looking forward to the most. I have been researching and planning this trip for months, and now it's getting all poopy doopy. I know, I know, we will be "safe" and on a boat, but 4 out of 5 days are days at sea? and our only port is poopy key west? Yuck. Very sad.

I posted this on another thread.. but how can the Fantasy get away with going to Key West.. that's US soil? That would mean a cruise to only US ports.. I thought that was against some law?

There must be a loophole. Maybe they will park off of Bimini for an hour.

I posted this on another thread.. but how can the Fantasy get away with going to Key West.. that's US soil? That would mean a cruise to only US ports.. I thought that was against some law?

It isn't a crime. (it's a tort) It would under ordinary circumstances violate the PSA. The penalty would be a fine. Carnival may be willing for their own reasons to absorb the cost of the fine or Carnival may have been given relief due to the unusual circumstances. What can be said with some certitude is that such itineraries cannot become a regular event without a change in the law.

It isn't a crime. (it's a tort) It would under ordinary circumstances violate the PSA. The penalty would be a fine. Carnival may be willing for their own reasons to absorb the cost of the fine or Carnival may have been given relief due to the unusual circumstances. What can be said with some certitude is that such itineraries cannot become a regular event without a change in the law.

Havana!!!! Si!!! The penalties might be the same.

This flu is different. Most of the deaths in Mexico have been young, healthy people. Your doctor gave you the best advice that he could given the situation. Why would you rather have a more reckless doctor?

The point of my post was that they didn't even read my email. If they had they could/would have given me a better answer (ie hand washing, sanatizer). Or the whole well we recommend you rebook/wait and see at this time. Instead of the canned response. I take the time to contact them, the least they can do is read the whole email.

I understand that this flu is different, that is why I contacted them in the first place. If he was a reckless doctor I would not be using him.

Key West, poopy :confused:

Sorry, Not in the least .:D

Actually if you do a bit of homework there are tons of enjoyment to be had.

Key West, poopy :confused:

Sorry, Not in the least .:D

Actually if you do a bit of homework there are tons of enjoyment to be had.

What would you recommend? We were going to do Uxmal Mayan Ruins and the dolphin trainer excursions. Nothing that I looked at for Key West sounds even a quarter as good as those. Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I am really bummed out.

Holiday skipped Cozumel today, so I assume is on the way back to Mobile.

Bill since Holiday runs the same schedule as the Fantasy will it also go to Key West? If you hear of any great bargains on the Holiday or Fantasy either please let me know!!

If they sneeze and dont cover up or whatever the germs will go out from the person who has the flu.

I was specifically talking about people who have no symptoms. If they are sneezing etc. then they have symptoms.

Once they have symptoms, then they will have the fever as well....

What would you recommend? We were going to do Uxmal Mayan Ruins and the dolphin trainer excursions. Nothing that I looked at for Key West sounds even a quarter as good as those. Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I am really bummed out.

The beaches themselves are prettier in Key West and goodness ya its the good ole USA.

Archived