Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

The problem is that Carnival is not alerting people to the change in a timely manner where it is giving them 24 hours to decide. People are already on most of the ships that are suposed to go to Mex by 5/4.

It would cost very little to change a port, it would cost tens of thousands in advertising to lure new customers that are going to want to come back.

I agree, I leave this afternoon, I dont know IF I get to go anywhere at this point! NO time to research a port IF I get to go to one, last night would have been a great time to get this info! Not the info for people who are already at sea!!!!

If Carnival changes my cruise port, can I change ship? I am sailing the elation on Sunday, and the splendor leaves Long Beach on Sunday would they let me sail on that ship to San Francisco?

I sure they wouldcharge me more money....

:confused:

I agree, I leave this afternoon, I dont know IF I get to go anywhere at this point! NO time to research a port IF I get to go to one, last night would have been a great time to get this info! Not the info for people who are already at sea!!!!

Exactly, it's not only about those who don't want to go to a mexican port but those that booked their cruise to go to Mexico and would like to book at another time.

Come on Carnival, give it up. Please give people more time to know if they want to go and if you are not going to cancel ports after the 4th then give us a chance not to get on the boat before you tell us and also allow those with legitimate reasons (ie: suffering from autoimmune diseases or have small children) the ability to rebook their cruise.

I think something else the cruise lines will have to start keeping an eye out for when they start going back to Mexico is that some of the other ports in other countries on an itinerary may start to refuse letting passengers off ships that have been to Mexico already.

What some are not realizing regarding the people that have come down with swine flu more than likely they contracted it at the airport, on an airplane or from someone that had been in Mexico City. Has anyone heard the media come out and say the students from NY flew from Cancun back to NY on a direct non-stop flight? There has to be a common ground for all of the cases of swine flu. Unfortunately with the amount of businesses and manufacturing facilities that have moved to Mexico the out break is going to effect everyone world wide. Anyone that has been traveling via airplane especially need to take precaution do you know where the person next on a flight has been to or in contact with. Hopefully all of this will die down over the next few weeks. Everyone just needs to take proper precautions in public use hand sanitizer wash your hand and please cover your mouth when you yawn, cough or sneeze.

I feel I am more likely to get swine flew here at home than going on a cruise. I always see the cruise staff cleaning and never have I been in an eating area on a ship that someone has not handed me a sanitizing wipe. We can only hope they can get this situation under control and the one's effected recover.

Well if Fantasy is still diverted to Key West in June with 1 extra sea day we'd be happy with that change. Had no intentions of getting off in progresso anyways and while we'd be a little sad over missing our beloved Coz and our booked excursion there. I'm sure we can have a fun day in KW too.

Looks like the Ecstasy is now a cruise to nowhere. Is that because they were already out threre? Surely the next one should be able to get somewhere and back in 5 days!

I'm hoping you're correct. I'm all for sea days, but 5 and no ports?? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get 1 port somewhere. I'd be happy with anything!

I'm sure Carnival is doing the best they can. I can only imagine what is involve in making the changes.

I agree, Carnival is just one of many cruise lines that are scrambling to find alternate ports. It’s not simple

Ok I changed my mind about key west after seeing the pathetic list of excursions there. We dont' snorkle or drink and like to do all day type excursions not the 1-2 hour ones. Looks like I need to some research to see what's near by other then carnival excursions just in case we wind up there.

poobears I completely agree Key West is a lousy port if you are looking to just sit on the beach and relax like I am. I would rather go to bahamas, Jamaica, Cayman, hell even Cuba if they would let us!!

I agree, Carnival is just one of many cruise lines that are scrambling to find alternate ports. It’s not simple

The logistics are a nightmare. Cruise lines have some experience from when a hurricane threatens a port or two, but not with something of this size and unknown duration.

Ok I changed my mind about key west after seeing the pathetic list of excursions there. We dont' snorkle or drink and like to do all day type excursions not the 1-2 hour ones. Looks like I need to some research to see what's near by other then carnival excursions just in case we wind up there.

If you want to sit on the beach, you might consider renting a car and heading up to Bahia Honda State Park at Mile Marker 37. Beautiful secluded beaches.

If you prefer, you can also juat spend all day wandering around Key West. It's a truly unique city.

If you want to sit on the beach, you might consider renting a car and heading up to Bahia Honda State Park at Mile Marker 37. Beautiful secluded beaches.

If you prefer, you can also juat spend all day wandering around Key West. It's a truly unique city.

The Redline Bus Tour is nice -- hop-on-hop-off all day pass type of thing. You hit all the major places of interest and it can easily turn into a full day affair.

Key West has some nice kayak tours. Book your own helicopter flight online to Dry Tortugas State Park which has an abandoned fort where Lincoln conspirators were held.

Close to the ship, we like the Mel Fisher Treasure Museum, the pirate museum, the aquarium, and several other small attractions. The Conch Train can take you around for a mini-city tour.

I'll look that up, thanks. We aren't much for just wandering and exploring the towns. We prefer to have something scheduled ahead of time.

Good link. It is everything I had also read & watched on the news rolled into one article.

As usual though, our government is acting too slowly. They should have closed the border last week. Now it's too late. It's here & in Houston where I live. Since Houston is known for reaching out to others, as it did with Katrina, I'm sure we will be taking more sick people that cross the border.

Archived