Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

We are set to sail on Holiday out of Mobile tomorrow a.m. It would be nice to know where we're going, even if we're going. While I don't have airfare to consider, I do have other arrangements hinging on Carnival's decisions. It would be nice to know something.

The frustrating thing is when you call, you can't get a live person. And when I talked to my PVP yesterday, he said he would be sailing on the Destiny tomorrow, which probably explains why I can't get him either.

Just give us some information Carnival.... Please?????

They did put up a update on ports. Splendor, nothing else. Far short of what I think was promised.

The the other poser on Holiday, the cruise will still go out. Canival wouldnt cancel your cruise, you just may not hit any ports.

I'm also sure there are people out there who don't want to do circles in the gulf. So how do you decide whether you should go or not? How do you even cancel your cruise if you don't want to take the chance of spending 4 days at sea? You can't get a live person on the phone...I've spent all afternoon trying. I imagine it will be very ugly at the port in the morning if people who don't want to cruise to nowhere must travel to Mobile to cancel their cruise.

Carnival needs to give people information so that they can make decisions now.

I'm also sure there are people out there who don't want to do circles in the gulf. So how do you decide whether you should go or not? How do you even cancel your cruise if you don't want to take the chance of spending 4 days at sea? You can't get a live person on the phone...I've spent all afternoon trying. I imagine it will be very ugly at the port in the morning if people who don't want to cruise to nowhere must travel to Mobile to cancel their cruise.

Carnival needs to give people information so that they can make decisions now.

Am I on hold with this extention 70026 for nothing??? :confused:

We sail on Glory on Saturday also, and I, too, have waited all day for an update on where our cruise is going. I couldn't believe when I checked just now that it basically says the same thing as it did last night. Now we have to wait until tomorrow!! We are supposed to leave tomorrow evening to drive to DS's house to spend the night. Then we will all be driving to Port Canaveral on Friday morning. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't find anything out until we get there on Saturday!! :mad:

Well we are due to sail on Sunday on teh CONQUEST & hate this NOT KNOWING. I will tell you we are planning on altering our GRATUTIES since this is something WE have control over. And we do plan on telling the Purser when we do this, it is because of the POOR service Carnival Corp gave us before the cruise. They can then explain it to their help. Sorry folks, but the Excrement rolls downhill....

After I finished venting, I received an automated voicemail from Carnival stating that the Holiday will go to Key West.

Thanks Carnival for not making us wait until tomorrow. Now I am off to research options for Key West and to finish packing!

Well we are due to sail on Sunday on teh CONQUEST & hate this NOT KNOWING. I will tell you we are planning on altering our GRATUTIES since this is something WE have control over. And we do plan on telling the Purser when we do this, it is because of the POOR service Carnival Corp gave us before the cruise. They can then explain it to their help. Sorry folks, but the Excrement rolls downhill....

The carnival web site says you are going to have a "fun sea day" instead of Cozumel. If that is your question.

And taking out your anger on the staff seems harsh- they have nothing to do with this. Carnival Corp should be contacted and yelled at perhaps, but the poor guy cleaning your room?

I think it's terrible that you would do to the Crew on the ship what carnival is doing to you but altering their tips. They have not done anything to deserve that. Given your attitude I guess you will never have a good time on the cruise. Do you think the crew is happy to have all of the guest on the ship upset and put that toward them and now you want to take away their tips. Shame on you!

Please don't do that! The gratuities go to your cabin stewards and waiters. Those people depend on these tips, and they have absolutely NOTHING to do with the current Carnival situation. Please don't punish them for something that is totally out of their control. They work hard to make you happy and comfortable on your cruise.

While I don't have a cruise coming up, I hate that you guys are just left in limbo. That being said, I'm sure this is a nightmare for the cruise lines. Things are just changing so fast. It doesn't do much good to have the power to reschedule if you run out of time to do it. I hope they come to a decision soon and everyone can work something out to their satisfaction.

Wardvette, I am also on the 5/4 Imagination (my first cruise). Did they say if Nassau would be on Thursday? I noticed that's what this week's Imagination did, whereas Cozumel was supposed to be on Wednesday. Thanks for posting as I've been checking their website every hour....

Unbelievable, I bet you hate life and everthing is always someones fault.:mad:

I understand everyone's frustration re: the delay -- I was told at 5:35 by a PR spokesperson that I'd have information in my inbox within 10 minutes. It's now been two hours.

As soon as I hear anything concrete, I will post it here, and we will publish it in Cruise Critic News.

Although my cruise isn't until May 31st...my entire itinerary is in Mexico and the only option we've heard so far is for the Splendor to go to the Pacific NW.

I wish they would give more info now so that we could make other plans. I just called my airline and it will indeed be $150/person to switch to a new flight plus any extra cost of the fare. The longer we wait the more it will cost for a different flight. And right now it's at least an extra $1,000 to switch to a caribbean cruise-if Carnival even allowed it.

Carnival please don't say safety is your # 1 concern if you are willing to avoid ports with 0 cases to instead visit ports with CONFIRMED cases.

I am SO bitter and apologize in advance for my ranting. I worked my behind off in nursing school for the last several years and this was my light at the end of the tunnel. It's starting to get dark :(

I am saying quoting the old adage, EXCREMENT rolls down hill. We are getting upset before we ever step foot onboard for what we planned on being a enjoyable time. I know I had lots of plans for Cozumel as I am not a fan of Jamica or such. Then I also dont enjoy what I perceive to be an attitude of "We will do whatever we need to do & tell you when we get around to it" well my $$$ are paying for this vacation & hence their salaries. I know that the staff is underpaid & overworked, but unfortunately I cant go in & accost in any shape, fashion or form the CEO & others who is causing these problems. The only outlet I have is unfortunately the Stewards & such.

And YES I have worked for many years in the Airline industry including as a LEAD AGENT both before, during & after 9/11 so I understand these types of problems a lot better than some. The ONE thing we all learned was any information was better than NONE or the same bs regurgitated. And unfortunately it was the people on the FRONT LINES who suffered the most from the travellers. This is the way it is in most service industries. You get a lousy steak undercooked or overcooked at a restaurant, no matter what the waitstaff does, you are going to lower your tip if not cancel it completly. If you dont, that is your choice. But I believe TIPS are for SERVICE above & beyond the norm. And that it is based on the WHOLE EXPERIENCE. If Carnival Corp decides to underpay its staff & gets away with it, that is their business. I am not their conscience. I am paying for a VACATION & the service that comes with it.

Please don't do that! The gratuities go to your cabin stewards and waiters. Those people depend on these tips, and they have absolutely NOTHING to do with the current Carnival situation. Please don't punish them for something that is totally out of their control. They work hard to make you happy and comfortable on your cruise.

Wardvette, I am also on the 5/4 Imagination (my first cruise). Did they say if Nassau would be on Thursday? I noticed that's what this week's Imagination did, whereas Cozumel was supposed to be on Wednesday. Thanks for posting as I've been checking their website every hour....

We realized we forgot to ask the date right after we hung up. I'm thinking it would be Wednesday since he didn't say anything about a different day but you never know.

Archived