Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Bah! Moving the cruise back two days to May 9th bumped it into Mothers Day. Something we were trying to avoid when we booked a cruise that left on a Monday.

That said, I called southwest and they changed our flight in with no charge and my wife and I are very excited about getting two extra days free and better ports, for us, but the couple we were going with absolutely cannot leave early. :(

I would have to delay until November before I could swing vacation time again.

So happy and sad about this turn of events.

I hope there are no hidden fees for the extra days being added.

Miami - April 29, 2009 7:00PM

Carnival Cruise Lines has canceled port of call visits to Mexico for 11 of its ships that are currently operating voyages and had scheduled stops in Mexico.

Additionally, for the 15 ships departing between Thursday, April 30 and Monday, May 4 with itineraries including calls in Mexican ports, those schedules have been modified. In many instances, the modification simply involved substituting an alternate port. Click here to see the details on the modified itineraries.

Guests who do not wish to sail on a modified itinerary may opt to receive a refund in the form of a future cruise credit equal to the full amount paid for the voyage. The credit may be applied to an alternate sailing departing through the end of 2010. Compensation for missed ports/altered itineraries (where applicable) for guests who sail varies by itinerary.

With four and five-day cruises from Galveston and New Orleans that are being converted to seven-day voyages, those guests may opt to receive their refund in the form of a future cruise credit or money back.

For cruises departing after May 4, an update will be provided in the near future. Guests are encouraged to check carnival.com periodically for further updates.

Wow. Some of these changes are going to cost Carnival "a fortune". They have my highest praise for working so hard to please their customers....or as many of their customers as is possible in this situation. :cool:

I do feel badly for the people who are having to miss their cruises due to the changes, though. :(

ok peeps, do you think if I called Carnival about my Fantasy Cruise (that got rescheduled to the 9th of May instead of the 11th) I could possibly transfer my cruise to one leaving out of a different port? I'm going to try and call them tomorrow - no way am I calling tonight!!

ok peeps, do you think if I called Carnival about my Fantasy Cruise (that got rescheduled to the 9th of May instead of the 11th) I could possibly transfer my cruise to one leaving out of a different port? I'm going to try and call them tomorrow - no way am I calling tonight!!

I would go for it. That's a good idea.

Its worth a try! It sounds like if you call you might get a different deal. That earlier post about going on the cruise and getting 50% back and then getting %50 off of a future cruise is definitely not offered on the website!!:confused:

I sure hope they do..I feel terrible anyone would have to be let down and miss their vacation that they've been waiting for :( Good luck to you Bonanner I hope they will do it for you, I'm keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Just found out my May 7th Fantasy Cruise is CANCELED. They will give me a refund or future cruise credit for the amount paid.

SERIOUSLY????????

I am booked with 20 other people who are coming in from all over the US, we all have airfare booked, prepaid hotels, etc... This is a MESS.

I understand not going to Mexico, but canceling this cruise altogether is sticking it to alot of people. We've looked at every other option to cruise on those dates, and the airfare difference is phenomenal because we are just one week out.

Unbelievable.

Just found out my May 7th Fantasy Cruise is CANCELED. They will give me a refund or future cruise credit for the amount paid.

SERIOUSLY????????

I am booked with 20 other people who are coming in from all over the US, we all have airfare booked, prepaid hotels, etc... This is a MESS.

I understand not going to Mexico, but canceling this cruise altogether is sticking it to alot of people. We've looked at every other option to cruise on those dates, and the airfare difference is phenomenal because we are just one week out.

Unbelievable.

Yes, this has turned into quite the headache for me as well, I am so sorry your vacation has been cancelled. Mine will have to be if I can't make proper arrangements. I am concerned about my airfare costs as well! I spent a good deal of tonight bawling my eyes out in frustration! haha!

SERIOUSLY????????

Unbelievable.

I definitely agree with this. Might just be sour grapes, but COMPLETELY changing the itineraries as far as dates are concerned for some cruises, and cancelling others this close to sail time is extreme.

They are giving me a refund, but no future cruise credit, no "I'm sorry" discount to help offset the cost of the airfare increase, nothing for the mess of trying to find a decent hotel for 20 people in ONE WEEK at a different embarkation port. UnREAL.

The only thing I see sailing on the 11th is the Imagination out of Miami, and it's a 4 day. If that is do-able for you, I'd go for it!

Wow. Do you still work in the airline industry? Next time my flight is delayed and they can't tell me at that moment for how long, what % of your salary do you think is fair for me to get?

Hey!! Don't blame all airline industry people by this poster remarks!! I work for a regional airline as a ramp lead and also know about when things are changed and being closest to the public, I get the blunt of it. It's not fair,but that's part of my job and I have to just ensure that things will be better the next go around.

As for the people on board the ship working, they have no say on where the ship is sailing to. I know that there are going to be some people who will give them a hard time on some of the upcoming sailings. Yes, we can't often deal with the people who make the changes,but why take it out on those who can't??

I'm sailing out on May 2nd and in the back of my mind during the push was about my cruise. At least Carnival is giving you the option of a credit if you dont want to sail. If my ship was just heading to Key West, I would have opt out and sailed at a later date. I sailed on the Fascination on Sept 14,2001. We were given the option on Sept 13th of either sailing or a credit.

Not all airline people are like this!!

The only thing I see sailing on the 11th is the Imagination out of Miami, and it's a 4 day. If that is do-able for you, I'd go for it!

Or I am looking at the 7 day eastern leaving the 10th - I could possibly leave the 10th, the 9th is a no way jose

I definitely agree with this. Might just be sour grapes, but COMPLETELY changing the itineraries as far as dates are concerned for some cruises, and cancelling others this close to sail time is extreme.

Well this situation is extreme, it's unprecidented that I know of to shut a countries port stops down and be put in this position. They are trying to add days onto the longer ones so they actually have time to make it to other ports and back.

4 days just doesn't give them many options, unfortunately.

SERIOUSLY????????

Unbelievable.

This is a perfect example that no matter what any company does to attempt to remedy a situation, some people will never be satisfied. Sure your cruise is going to get cancelled and you are also getting a refund but of course you want more. You feel that Carnival should be obligated to give you more because of these elaborate plans that you had set up. PLANS CHANGE - DEAL WITH IT...This flu out break is in no way the fault of Carnival Cruise Lines or any cruise lines for that matter. If Carnival had went on ahead with the Mexico stop then you would probably be complaining because you got sick then you might want to sue. Just be happy that you are getting something back. I'm sure this will teach you not to make such elaborate plans in the future...

And you are flat out CHEAP. Whatever warped, twisted spin you try to put on it can't conceal that fact.

Im glad someone said it cause I was sure thinking it! I especially cringed when they wrote "And YES I have worked for many years in the Airline industry including as a LEAD AGENT". Ive flown for decades and this is one LEAD AGENT I hope I never meet.

Sheepeople? No, a group of people who know bad manners when they see it.

Or I am looking at the 7 day eastern leaving the 10th - I could possibly leave the 10th, the 9th is a no way jose

Triumph leaves from Miami on the 10th, 7 days eastern. Nice itinerary. St. Maarten is one of our favorite ports.

Conquest also leaves on the 10th, but it's western.

(Edited because it's late and I didn't read that you can't leave on the 9th before I made the original post. Sorry!)

Compensation for missed ports/altered itineraries (where applicable) for guests who sail varies by itinerary.

Is this what they're talking about with the 50% off the cruise? I'm starting to hope our cruise gets changed :)

I called Carnival AGAIN, because the compensation for the splendor cruise is so unbelievable. They said again that it's 50% refund, and 50% credit. This time the guy said, "So it's like a free cruise." This is without any prompting on my part other than just asking about my May 3rd cruise this time. I think that the fact that the splendor itinerary change is so drastic is why they are offering such a great deal. I think that is where the "varies by itinerary" comes in. If you are wondering what the compensation is for different cruises are - just call and ask what compensation for your cruise will be. By the way - all three times I called I did not have to wait on hold at all - it rang, said they were very busy and then an agent picked up.

This is a perfect example that no matter what any company does to attempt to remedy a situation, some people will never be satisfied. Sure your cruise is going to get cancelled and you are also getting a refund but of course you want more. You feel that Carnival should be obligated to give you more because of these elaborate plans that you had set up. PLANS CHANGE - DEAL WITH IT...This flu out break is in no way the fault of Carnival Cruise Lines or any cruise lines for that matter. If Carnival had went on ahead with the Mexico stop then you would probably be complaining because you got sick then you might want to sue. Just be happy that you are getting something back. I'm sure this will teach you not to make such elaborate plans in the future...

OMG! I have 16 people on my trip (from different cities, no less). I guess I deserve for my trip to be ruined as well for being foolish enough to think planning a trip to spend time with my family was a good idea. How could either of us have made such "elaborate plans"???

;)

Of course you have a right to be mad about your whole trip being cancelled.

I called Carnival AGAIN, because the compensation for the splendor cruise is so unbelievable. They said again that it's 50% refund, and 50% credit. This time the guy said, "So it's like a free cruise." This is without any prompting on my part other than just asking about my May 3rd cruise this time. I think that the fact that the splendor itinerary change is so drastic is why they are offering such a great deal. I think that is where the "varies by itinerary" comes in. If you are wondering what the compensation is for different cruises are - just call and ask what compensation for your cruise will be. By the way - all three times I called I did not have to wait on hold at all - it rang, said they were very busy and then an agent picked up.

You're too funny! I would do the same thing. I would be more than happy to deal with those changes for free!!! Now I really don't mind what happens. I'll be thrilled with Mexico OR Pacific Northwest!

Archived