Mullins Beach or Boatyard beach

loompo

Actually, I had the same question regarding these two beaches.

From what I read on cc most people either recommend Mullins Beach or Boatyard. But, if you had to choose ONLY one, which one would you choose?

I know boatyard has water sport. Does Mullins Beach have water sport?

Which beach has calmer waters?

-Jane

Who ever answers loompo's question could you answer this one also? I read that you can take the shuttle to Mullins for one dollar. This sounds so easy. Can you also get the same shuttle service to Boatyard Beach. Are these two beaches close together or far apart. For shuttle fare of one dollar you could go from one to the other and decide which you prefer before renting chair etc.

Let me see if I can help.

The Boatyard is down on Bay Street, perhaps a mile walk from the pier or a US$.75 bus ride or a US$1.00 shuttle ride. A taxi would probably be US$6 each way.

The Boatyard is in a light industrial area and you can probably see your ship from there. It has all the beach activities, food, drink, music, etc. It gets crowded, but it is a nice beach, nevertheless.

Now, Mullins is about eight miles north of the pier. A US$.75 bus ride or a US$1.00 shuttle or a US$12-16 taxi ride. It has calm water as does the Boatyard beach and chair/umbrella rentals plus food and drink from the Mullins Beach bar. Little water sports, perhaps a Jet Ski, or two.

Mullins gets busy, too, but it is bigger and there is room to stretch out.

The bottom line is if you want action/music/people/water sports on a decent beach, the Boatyard is your spot. If you want calm, clear water, relative solitude and quiet on a very nice beach, choose Mullins.

If you want to see them both (or perhaps ALL of the beaches on the west coast), exit the cruise terminal, walk a long block east to Fontabelle, turn left and catch the shuttle to Mullins up Spring Garden hwy. Try it for a while and then catch the shuttle, or bus, back down to Bay Street and check-out the Boatyard for a couple of hours.

It’s an easy deal, and cheap, too.

Enjoy! :)

The Boatyard beach

boatyard2.jpg

Mullins Beach

mullins.JPG

Archived