Anyone cancel due to the swine flu?

CRUISING71

As soon as I heard about this last night on the news I called Carnival (since we're leaving May 16th on the Liberty). They said the "officers" of the company were having a meeting this morning on it and they would go from there. I asked about Cozumel and she said we would be re-routed to a different port, probably a Central American port.

As soon as I heard about this last night on the news I called Carnival (since we're leaving May 16th on the Liberty). They said the "officers" of the company were having a meeting this morning on it and they would go from there. I asked about Cozumel and she said we would be re-routed to a different port, probably a Central American port.

According to this statement they have no plans on changing itineraries.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=66067249.blog

Several major cruise lines with ships calling in Mexico this week say they have no plans to cancel or alter itineraries despite global worries about a potentially deadly outbreak of swine flu in the country.

Industry giant Carnival says in a statement today that it is monitoring the spread of the illness in Mexico but is going ahead with voyages scheduled to call in popular Mexican ports such as Cozumel and Progreso.

"There currently is no evidence of a swine flu pandemic, and there have been no reports of guests exhibiting symptoms of swine flu on Carnival’s ships," the line says in the statement. "We do not anticipate that our guests' cruise experience will be impacted by this type of illness and will not be making any adjustments to our itineraries."

We are leaving on May 2nd and have to intention to cancel our cruise due to the Swine Flu. If we worried about everything going on in the world we would never travel anywhere.

We intend to travel until we are too old to travel and if you have to wheel me on the ship when I am 100 so be it.....

Yet the world bank has loaned over $200 million to mexico for help in battling this and airlines are allowing passengers to cancel at no cost. People are clearly concerned, don't blame the media for everything.
Not saying this is the situation but if it means a getting a loan from the world bank, wouldnt it be in the best interest of the Mexican government to exaggerate the problem?

Because of air travel, this flu could become worldwide. i am not afraid. If I were going to Mexico this year, I would not cancel. Heck, I live in Louisiana, and I have a better chance getting from someone coming over from Texas.

I am cruising to Cozumel on June 4th. At this point, we are just taking a wait and see approach to the situation. I guess if it gets unsafe to travel to Cozumel, the CDC will inform us not to do so.

The situation is a bit of a concern to us, but like I said, we will just take it one day at a time. I have until May 5th to cancel and I would just lose my deposit. So, I am hoping that by that date we will have a better idea of just how widespread this flu is going to be.

Happy & Healthy Sailing to All!

Hey I sail June 4 for Cozumel too!!! I am not worried because I have trust in the cruise companies...they will change things if they get concerned...I am also reading up on things and watching the news, etc.

Anyone consider cancel their cruise to Mexico Riviera due to the recent news of the Swine flu?

Thanks,

Tibbie

Cancelled ours this morning. Will go to New England instead. Between the violence and now swine flu . . . .I got the feeling someone was trying to send me a message!

Cancelled ours this morning. Will go to New England instead. Between the violence and now swine flu . . . .I got the feeling someone was trying to send me a message!

Wow, that's too bad, neither the swine flu nor the violence has been reported in any of the cruise port cities, but it's up to you. I see you live in MH too!

Does anyone know if these ships nowdays have enough vaccines should an outbreak happen while on a cruise? I'm bringing my own tamiflu (I read that tamiflu seems to work against swine flu) just in case, but I wasn't sure if there was something else available.

Wow, that's too bad, neither the swine flu nor the violence has been reported in any of the cruise port cities, but it's up to you. I see you live in MH too!

Might want to do some research on your statement...

Not saying this is the situation but if it means a getting a loan from the world bank, wouldnt it be in the best interest of the Mexican government to exaggerate the problem?

Well if they are going to exaggerate, then I say let's boycott the whole dang place!!! ;)

Might want to do some research on your statement...

I have, the violence is in the border towns, not the port towns (except for the usual violence that is just as bad in our large cities and has been there for years). The swine flu is mostly in Mexico City and it's surrounding state and some parts of Baja, not Cabo. I was speaking of the MR, not the gulf of mexico side, haven't looked into those ports. The media is causing some of this panic, the EU is now telling it's citizens not to travel to the U.S., so I guess we're the bad guys too, just a bit of overkill I think.

I agree,slow news days.Have any of yall read the Stand,by Steven King?

Its is a great story about a pandemic 99.099% mortality rate.So, if anyone is left in New York City,make sure you have an alternate route besides the tunnel....just sayin

One of my fav books...:D

Anyone consider cancel their cruise to Mexico Riviera due to the recent news of the Swine flu?

Thanks,

Tibbie

Unless you have (costly) Cancel for Any Reason Insurance (where you'd probably only recoup 75% anyway) you won't be reimbursed by Insurance. It's unlikely that any CruiseLine will Cancel - at worst they'll skip the Mexican port(s) and maybe divert to others. ken

I have, the violence is in the border towns, not the port towns (except for the usual violence that is just as bad in our large cities and has been there for years).

Oh Good, so it's Safe then. (except of the usual violence that is just as bad as our large cities and has been there for years). What a relief. None of those nasty drug gangs killing people anywhere besides the non tourist cities. Good Enough for me. That will be that last time I read one of those State Department reports.

We are scheduled to sail on Mariner of Seas, RCI, 5/31. So, at 4/27 we are not yet ready to capitulate -- will wait and see what happens for the next days/week(s).

Just booked this cruise three days ago and mere hours later all of this talk of swine flu went into insane overdrive. Yes, it's serious but let's not lose our heads...yet.

We live in Los Angeles and there are people, legally and illegally, coming and going from Mexico daily -- what to do? Stay home? Never leave our property? Not feasible! And we do not plan to run around in surgical masks, either -- yet.

We know a man with dual citizenship -- born in Mexico but is of caucasian parentage -- was living/working in Mexico City for awhile until several weeks ago. His wife is still there and works for Mexican government, highly placed in health services. She reports that health experts from all over the world are there now figuring out what to do about this current scourage.

This man said wife called him this past Saturday and said thus far swine flu was most prevalent in the 'valley' that houses Mexico City and environs -- some 35 MILLION people -- that's quite a crowd. At that point there were 1000 plus KNOWN cases of flu. Also, as of Saturday, this was thought to be a class-based illness to great degree, i.e., the poor rather than rich being affected. There ARE only two 'classes' in Mexico so there you have it. The poor are at greatest risk.

Anyhow, unless U.S. or any other government says absolutely NO travel to/from Mexico or anywhere else where many cases are discovered, there is little point in totally avoiding travel unless people just simply refuse to go out of fear. This will kill what little is left of the travel industry in Mexico and let's not forget that the quickest way to get sick is to fly anywhere in this world, forgetting about Mexico. Cases of this flu are turning up all over now but few deaths outside Mexico.

Bottom line, unless one is slated to travel to a Mexican port within a week or two, it's probably wise to just wait and see what happens for a bit. Cruise lines are not going to penalize passengers when/if government(s) say absolutely "Do Not Go." We would imagine cruise credits for future travel would be granted without question. Or, if it's possible to simply avoid a Mexican port that might be the solution. On Mexican Riviera that is NOT possible as all ports are in Mexico. Cruises would simply have to be canceled altogether for foreseeable future.

We will all be vulnerable here in the states as long as folks are allowed to go to Mexico, contract the disease and then bring it back to share with us. As well as those folks who cross the border legally and illegally for work.

The government needs to step in and stop people from going there until the Mexican Government can fix the problem...and of course assist the Mexican government in doing so.

I own stock in Carnival and I hope they have enough common sense to stop visiting Mexican ports until this dreadful situation is over.

The US and Mexican goernments need to mutually shut down the border ASAP. I live in NYC and have not been to Mexico in a couple of years and do not think I should be subject to catching this disease just because some person who rides the bus with me brought it back from a cruise!!!

Archived