tortola 8a-noon what to do

mrdrdoso

we will be in tortola for just a few hours in the am, any suggestions?? Is it worth going to beach or just walk around at the pier and do some shopping? Actually we sail at 1pm all aboard is noon. I haven't been to this port before so I really appreciate any advise.

That sure is not much time, but ...

There will be lots of private taxis as you get off the pier. They can take you across the island to a beach and wait for you or just give you a tour. If I had just a short time, I might ask to go to the west end and around to Brwer's bay and then back to the dock. A taxi trip direct to Cane Garden bay will only take about 15 minutes...there are several beach bars and the like there...there will be plenty of taxis there to get you back...allow 30 minutes for the return trip.

Here is a link to a site with a map of the beaches and links to good descriptions of Tortola beaches and other things:

http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/map_tortola.html

also, here is the link to Cruise Critics discussion board for that port

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=290

We took a taxi for a driving tour. Most of the way it was just poor countryside, but near the top of the mountain, there is fabulous scenery. The drivers give a running spiel about life in the islands, so it's never boring.

Archived