NOS 8690

We were booked into 8692 and our good friends had 8690. Actually, as a group, we had all but those two large family cabins in the midde booked on aft deck 8. I'm sure a lot of people just love thoses corner aft cabins, but I wouldn't want one for myself and both couples who had them didn't care for them.

With that said, 8690 has a door with a relatively small window, where as our cabin 8692 had a sliding glass door - floor to ceiling windows. I thought 8690 was dark. The balcony was large, but no larger than ours. Our friends spent very little time in their cabin, and regretted NOT having one like ours or one on either side of the ship.

We, on the other hand, had a great cabin and an excellent balcony. Both cabins had two lounge chairs, two regular chairs and a table. I have to be honset with you, we really didn't enjoy our balcony as much as we thought we would - there was just too much on the Navigator to do. But we had three sail away parties here, so we did enjoy it some!

I realize other people will not feel the same way about 8690 as I do. Most of what I have read about it here on Cruise Critic has been positive. But as we were traveling with friends who were next door, I personally found it to be way to dark compared to the more traditional sliding glass door design the other rooms have.

I'm sure you'll make the most of it. If you can, try to get into 8692.

Suzi

05 July 2004 Cruise Aboard Royal Caribbean's Monarch of the Seas

21 November 2004 Cruise Aboard Carnival's Pride

20 February 2005 Cruise Critic Group Cruise Aboard Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas

I forgot to mention, our friends were traveling with their 12 year old son, who slept on a bunk in the cabin. The room was a little cramped at night, but it can easily accommodate three people comfortably. Just make sure you store your luggage under the bed and make good use of the storage space in the cabin.

There is a safe and a hair dryer. There is also a small love set and a glass coffee table which our friends asked to have removed. With three people in the room, it was just adding to the clutter. You really don't spend much time in the room. It's impossible to prop open the door in 8690 as it is, although I have heard of people bringing bungee cords with them. We found that the air conditioning turns off when you open the door.

Suzi

20 February 2005 Cruise Critic Group Cruise Aboard Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas

Hi, I am booked in 6666 D3 and a cabin 6667 across the hall for my teens. I am thinking about changeing to 8392. We have never cruised before and not sure if we would like the aft cabins but everyone speeks so highly of them. We would have to change and put one of our teens in with us if we did. Would you book this cabin again or go to the side next time? Thanks

I would NOT hesitate to book either 8392 or 8692, the one we had aboard the Navigator in December. It's just the two rooms on either end that I find too dark and gloomy.

8692 (identical to 8392) is great. You get a huge balcony with no wind, lots of light from floor to ceiling windows/sliding glass door, and a very quiet location. There is also a crew stair case that you can use to get up to the Windjammer (I read somewhere that staff don't like you to use it, but we were never hassled about it). Two short flights up, and you are in Jade's.

The room itself is the same as all other balcony staterooms. Size and configuration is identical, but the balcony is huge. Like I said earlier, I didn't fully appreciate it - I never used it during the day, and we never ordered room service in the am. But we'll be cruising aboard the Mariner next year, and again booked a balcony. With three days at sea, I am hoping to spend more time on our balcony this time.

Good luck.

Suzi

• 6 years later...
I would NOT hesitate to book either 8392 or 8692, the one we had aboard the Navigator in December. It's just the two rooms on either end that I find too dark and gloomy.

8692 (identical to 8392) is great. You get a huge balcony with no wind, lots of light from floor to ceiling windows/sliding glass door, and a very quiet location. There is also a crew stair case that you can use to get up to the Windjammer (I read somewhere that staff don't like you to use it, but we were never hassled about it). Two short flights up, and you are in Jade's.

The room itself is the same as all other balcony staterooms. Size and configuration is identical, but the balcony is huge. Like I said earlier, I didn't fully appreciate it - I never used it during the day, and we never ordered room service in the am. But we'll be cruising aboard the Mariner next year, and again booked a balcony. With three days at sea, I am hoping to spend more time on our balcony this time.

Good luck.

Suzi

Hi Sailfish... I hope you'll see this post from an old thread.

I booked 8692 and 8392 and was curious to know about the metal structure in front of the balcony. My husband loves to takes scenery pictures, and uses the balcony a lot just for that reason. I'm afraid that those metal bars will show up in all of his panoramic views :(. Thanks for any info...:)

Archived