upcharge for filet mingon? is it true?

I'm not real fond of the sirloin steak on the alternative menu, it's a little tough for me, but both the filet of beef and the beef shoulder that show up on the menu once during a cruise are excellent... nice and tender.

You're being ridiculous. They are not taking anything away from you. You still get the same old steak you've always gotten in the dining room. But now, you have the option of another steak. Not like they took the free steak and started charging for it.

Actually, they pretty much did take something away - good quality steaks.

I was on Marnier last week 4/19. It's been at least 5 years since I was on a RCCL ship. No question in my mind - the quality of beef served in the MDR is no where near what it used to be. I consider it to be typical chain restaurant quality beef. It never used to be that way.

So, in my mind what they have done is said "You can have this cheap low grade steak or pay to upgrade to the high quality steak we used to give you for free".

Now - I will acknowledge that I did not try Chops or the add-on filet. If in fact they are of the "Mortons" or "Ruth Chris" quality, then that would be an upgrade from the days of old. But, the bottom line, IMO, is that they now charge for a good quality steak where they never used to.

I agree with a prior poster - I am very concerned about them adding more "upsells" in the MDR. I'd be really suprised if we don't see more, especially if a lot of people are buying the $14.95 filet.

Think about it. It is ridiculous. You're upset because they ADDED AN ADDITIONAL ITEM to the menu with a charge. They didn't take anything away, they added something new.

Gee, my local steak house added a new steak to their menu. Lets get pissed off about it. It makes no sense at all.

You entirely missed my point.

I was suggesting that at one time, people might have thought that the suggestion of having a paid item in the MDR was ridiculous.

However, I need to assure you I am not pissed off. I am leary that if we accept RCI adding "for-fee" items on the menu, it won't stop with just the steak. It could be specialty salads or desserts next. Then at some point, the entire dining room experience changes into the same one you get at your local steakhouse: pay for what you want.

Archived