First Night Dining Attire

wrighka

"Sigh".........What's the attire for the first night in the dining rooms? My DH is putting up a fight to eat in there AT ALL! I keep telling him it's one of the best parts of the cruise! Anyway, if I remember correctly, first night is pretty casual. Shorts???????

Thanks guys!

All the nights have gotten pretty casual nowadays. Its doesn't even raise an eyebrow anymore when shorts and T shirts are worn.

The first night is the only night that is "officially" relaxed. They don't mind what you wear since everyone doesn't have their luggage yet. Just no tank tops or swimming trunks.

"Sigh".........What's the attire for the first night in the dining rooms? My DH is putting up a fight to eat in there AT ALL! I keep telling him it's one of the best parts of the cruise! Anyway, if I remember correctly, first night is pretty casual. Shorts???????

Thanks guys!

First night is usally pretty casual but shorts are discouraged. The casualness is due to the muster drill and to some passengers not getting their luggage yet. Given that, I've seen it all.... enjoy.

Carnival has relaxed it's dress code for the dining room. Shorts are fine, not only on the first night, but each night other than the "Cruise Elegant" evenings, which used to be referred to as "Formal Night".

Here is the latest dress code info, from the Carnival website:

Dress Code Info:

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Curious as to what types of shorts have recent cruisers seen in the main dining room?

We saw dressier shorts, jean shorts and raggy cut jeans in the main dining room on the Miracle last year. Nothing was done, even with the cut offs and a visibly dirty tank top.:rolleyes: The same person wore the same grungy outfit more than one evening. Personally I think he should have been invited to dine on the Lido deck.

Thanks guys!

Since a lot of people don't have their luggage by dinner time the first night, just wear whatever you were wearing when you got on the ship. It's very casual. Don't sweat the small stuff.;)

Thanks everyone for your replies! Would never allow anyone I was with to go to dinner in cut off shorts and a tank top!!!! I'd rather miss dining in the dining room! I'm surprised tho that they've actually relaxed the dress code so much. Maybe it has to do with alot of cruisers NOT dining there because of the dress code :confused:

Sounds like I might get DH in there after all!;)

For years, we always, always dressed for dinner the first night. I suppose we were some of the lucky ones who never had an issue with our luggage arriving on time. DH has been wanting (for years) to wear shorts to the dining room the first night; but I never thought it was appropriate. In recent years, though, we have allowed ourselves (on the first night only) to go to dinner in the clothing we traveled in..................I in cuffed shorts and DH in shorts as well; but certainly not cut offs - Men's dress shorts. Hope this helps. Chick.

First night is usally pretty casual but shorts are discouraged. The casualness is due to the muster drill and to some passengers not getting their luggage yet. Given that, I've seen it all.... enjoy.

Dress shorts are never discouraged any longer, except on cruise elegant nights. In fact the dress code specifically says that shorts are allowed for men.

Archived