NCL Pearl May 3 options for Swine Flu

bride-to-be

We heard from NCL that they will be offering something to those booked on the Pearl leaving May 3 from LA (repositioning from Mexico to Alaska) due to Swine Flu concerns. Because we booked through a travel agent, they were unable to tell us what the options were and that they will be contacting the travel agents with details. Our agent had not heard yet. Has anyone else been offered anything for this cruise? Thanks!

I'm confused. This is what is on the NCL website about the current Pearl repo cruise:

As a precautionary measure due to the recent travel advisory relating to Mexico, the company is cancelling Norwegian Pearl's final two calls in Mexico on its current repositioning cruise. The stops were scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, April 29 and Friday, May 1, 2009. Instead, the ship will call on San Diego, Calif., on Saturday, May 2. Apart from this sailing, Norwegian Cruise Line's scheduled deployment does not include any other ports of call in Mexico until the end of September 2009.

So, it looks to me as if the cruise leaving on May 3rd wasn't supposed to stop in Mexico at all, so no change is taking place.

CG

I talked to NCL this morning and they said they had no concerns for the cruise leaving May 3rd from Los Angelas, considering they did not stop in any Mexico ports. They will and have been taking every precaution necessary to make sure the ship is sanitized properly. They did not offer up any alternative for the cruise. We will be sailing as normal.

I talked to NCL this morning and they said they had no concerns for the cruise leaving May 3rd from Los Angelas, considering they did not stop in any Mexico ports. They will and have been taking every precaution necessary to make sure the ship is sanitized properly. They did not offer up any alternative for the cruise. We will be sailing as normal.

Thanks for the clarification JD. I didn't think that the May 3rd sailing was affected in any way, but the way the OP talked about what was being offered, etc. made me think I was missing something.

CG

We've spoken to our travel agent again and we got the same message as posted by CruisnGram, which conflicted with the first message. The Pearl stopped in Huatulco on Monday (as posted by someone actually on the Pearl this week) before it got diverted to San Francisco so if the incubation period for Swine flu is 7 days then people may not be showing symptoms until we are on the May 3 cruise. We might take the chance if it wasn't for our toddler. As it is, we are pressing for a credit for a future cruise. I'll post if I get anywhere.

An interesting tidbit from the local San Diego news station last night....

There have been no reported cases of swine flu in the ports in Mexico that the cruise ships dock (i.e. Puerta Vallarta, Cabo, etc.), but cruise ships are stopping in San Diego instead where there have been 9 reported cases.:(

An interesting tidbit from the local San Diego news station last night....

There have been no reported cases of swine flu in the ports in Mexico that the cruise ships dock (i.e. Puerta Vallarta, Cabo, etc.), but cruise ships are stopping in San Diego instead where there have been 9 reported cases.:(

Yes, that's where the Pearl stopped (Sand Diego) - not San Fransico as I had previously posted.

We heard from NCL that they will be offering something to those booked on the Pearl leaving May 3 from LA (repositioning from Mexico to Alaska) due to Swine Flu concerns. Because we booked through a travel agent, they were unable to tell us what the options were and that they will be contacting the travel agents with details. Our agent had not heard yet. Has anyone else been offered anything for this cruise? Thanks!

I have not heard anything. We are on the same cruise as you. Come check out our roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=769059

Oh for heavens sake! We just dropped a friend off at the Sun in San Pedro. All seems to be running perfectly smoothly. Now the Sun WAS in Mexico on Monday and it didn't do a thing to their sailing today! The port the Pearl was diverted to was San Diego....It is still due in LA on Sunday and we are still going to San Francisco and Astoria!!!!!!:rolleyes:

We've spoken to our travel agent again and we got the same message as posted by CruisnGram, which conflicted with the first message. The Pearl stopped in Huatulco on Monday (as posted by someone actually on the Pearl this week) before it got diverted to San Francisco so if the incubation period for Swine flu is 7 days then people may not be showing symptoms until we are on the May 3 cruise. We might take the chance if it wasn't for our toddler. As it is, we are pressing for a credit for a future cruise. I'll post if I get anywhere.

Okay, now I get it. You are thinking that perhaps someone who is on the Pearl now, and did stop at one Mexican port, may stay on board for your cruise and be carrying the virus. Or someone in the crew may have come in contact with it.

Thanks for the clarification.

CG

Okay, now I get it. You are thinking that perhaps someone who is on the Pearl now, and did stop at one Mexican port, may stay on board for your cruise and be carrying the virus. Or someone in the crew may have come in contact with it.

Thanks for the clarification.

CG

Yes, that was/is my concern.

Archived