For those interested in the Whittier Rockslide

xene97

The www.akrrr.com site doesn't have any updates on the Whittier Train. Guess it is stil the bus for now.

I think the ARR tried the bus service to try and cut down on the number of train riders, just going for a free ride. Very few Whittier residents were on the train, but lots of other people rode the train because it was free and something to do.

The trains were still full and standing room only with the bus service. Whittier residents were bumped from a couple of trains. The ARR finally added some more coaches.

The www.akrrr.com site doesn't have any updates on the Whittier Train. Guess it is stil the bus for now.

I think the ARR tried the bus service to try and cut down on the number of train riders, just going for a free ride. Very few Whittier residents were on the train, but lots of other people rode the train because it was free and something to do.

The trains were still full and standing room only with the bus service. Whittier residents were bumped from a couple of trains. The ARR finally added some more coaches.

Thanks for the link. I found the answer to my question:

Due to threatening avalanche conditions between Anchorage and Portage, that part of the route will be accomplished by complementary bus twice a day. Bus service is available only for the morning and evening trip; the mid-day trip will not include bus service.

The train is operational, but only from Portage to Whittier. The leg from Anchorage to Portage is via bus or personal transportation (auto). At least that's the way I understand it.

Thanks again.

We are on the Diamond on May 16th. We were going to be driving from Seward to Whittier. Now I'm wondering if we should just plan on driving from Seward to Portage and take the train. The railroad guy told me it would definitely be ok by then..but really, what does he know???

What should I do?

Julie

Right now the bus/train method is operating through May 11. I know blasting was occurring this morning and that getting the road open is critical with the tourist season coming up.

any idea for those of us who booked coach transfers through private operators (ie the magic bus or alaska transportation) will they look aftr thr logistics of getting us through to Whittier or should we be looking into this on our own?

According to the Whittier website, "Beginning Friday (MAY 15, 2009) at 12 Noon, the tunnel and road access will resume its normal summer operating schedule!!!

Please refer to your AKDOT Anton Anderson tunnel schedule."

According to the Whittier website, "Beginning Friday (MAY 15, 2009) at 12 Noon, the tunnel and road access will resume its normal summer operating schedule!!!

Please refer to your AKDOT Anton Anderson tunnel schedule."

WOO HOO!!!!

I am so glad as I am on the Spirit now and have been wondering about the roads at the other end. You just made my week!!!

granny:cool:

Archived