?s from a 1st time QM2 Transatlantic voyager

rednblackstar

I'm sorry for undoubtedly repeating questions - there are so many posts here that it's a bit hard to find all the answers I'm looking for!

I'm a 29 yr old American - my wife and I are moving to Switzerland (from New York City) and instead of just hopping over on a plane, we are planning on taking the QM2 Transatlantic trip (July 30, 2009) to Hamburg.

This is the first time either of us have been on an ocean liner (or a cruise ship even). Consequently, we have a few ?s! Thanks for help!!!

Attire

- I've found a number of posts about formal attire (tuxedos), semi-formal (suits+tie) and casual (jacket) for dinner. And we're definitely going for the experience (while not being snooty) so we'll dress the part for dinner. But I am unsure as to what the attire is up until 6p? I've heard it's a no-no to wear jeans and mixed things about what locations it's 'okay' to wear shorts. Any tips?

Reservations

- Any suggestions as to when to make reservations for what things? We're interested in exploring most of what the QM2 has to offer - especially the astronomy lectures, star-gazing, different restaurants, library, the work-out gym, the spa...etc. I know the golf simulator is packed, but we'll pass on that anyway.

Prices

- I haven't found anywhere some info (for budgeting) about expenses of things like drinks and especially for the spa treatments.

Space/Crowds

- My wife is particularly interested in lounging - sunbathing, reading and drawing. It appears the only sunbathing areas are the sun deck & the pool. I assume it's okay to wear swimsuits here. Any experience if there is usually enough space available? I'm down for the lounging too, but definitely for the work-out rooms, reading & the lectures.

Rooms

- It sounds like stateside/inside is great room. I hear though to stay away from elevators because there can be a lot of foot traffic. Any recs on particular decks or are they, in essence, all the same?

umm...that's probably about it for now. Just sad that the kennel is full and we can't bring our cat on this trip!

Thanks so much and maybe see some of you on board!

Hi like you we are going on our first transatlantic but we are going over to new york in September. I had lots of questions and the people on here were very kind and answered them all. Do you know when you will be going? Best wishes for your new life hope everthing goes well for you both

looks like we'll be doing the july 30th trip ending in hamburg, germany.

sad to leave brooklyn/new york after 11 years, but can't think of a better way to do it than by sea!

interested in meeting folks on-board, especially if there are other artists/musicians & human rights folks!

We've just returned from our first transatlantic and loved every minute of it! I read these forums like you before setting off as the daytime attire was a concern of mine also. I wish I hadn't bothered as I was heavily influenced by what I guess is the older persons view of dress sense - I'll no doubt be shot down in flames now! I usually wear a suit for work and dress very casually in my rare free time..I took far to many day time outfits on QM2, and ended on wearing jeans (albeit expense, but no one was to know!) most days with a T shirt or polo shirt, and believe me I wasn't out of place, so just wear what you feel comfortable in during the day - you will see some sights..that's for sure!

I played in the free golf competitions every day on the simulator and always managed to get a place.

The best place to chill is deck 12 pavilion pool area, lots of loungers etc, with a glass roof it gets quite warm and was our favoured area for relaxing with a book in this simulated outdoor area.

We were able to just walk into any lecture we fancied and get a good seat without getting there early, and the ship was full, so no worries there.

WE thought that drinks were reasonable and are paid for in dollars ( on account), and the pound is weak at the moment for us Brits, but prices weren't bad. Glass of wine $6 - 7. Veuve Cliquot $15 a glass. All drinks are plus 15%, and you will be charged a daily tip of approx $11 per person per night also to cover tips for those that you don't see.

We stayed in 12019 inside room on deck 12 and it was well placed and we never heard a sound at night.

You'll have a great time, and my advice would be to just enjoy it, as it just isn't a long enough voyage...

Bear in mind that you are crossing the North Atlantic so the wind speed across the decks may mean that it is too cold to sit outside. As advised Deck 12 has the slidy roof thing but it is a small pool and quite strange to see all these folk laying on sunbeds with the roof shut and no sun shining. It is a good place for lunch however as they have the Steel Band up there for an hour or so. The only things that you need tickets for are the daily planetarium shows which can be collected from 9am at Connexions Deck 2, forward. Those shows are repeated a few times throughout the day/voyage. Have a great time. Join the rollcall thread and have a drink in the Commodore Club. Awesome

Just a few comments on some of your questions, hope they are of help.

Attire

- I've found a number of posts about formal attire (tuxedos), semi-formal (suits+tie) and casual (jacket) for dinner. And we're definitely going for the experience (while not being snooty) so we'll dress the part for dinner. But I am unsure as to what the attire is up until 6p? I've heard it's a no-no to wear jeans and mixed things about what locations it's 'okay' to wear shorts. Any tips?

We travelled Eastbound on our honeymoon last month. Daytime dress was fairly casual, chinos, jeans, capri pants (for me!), nice t-shirts etc. Didn't wear shorts as it just wasn't warm enough, as the Capn says. Did go in the outside pool tho (water was ok, but very cold as soon as you got out!) and the outdoor hot tubs - bliss!

Reservations

- Any suggestions as to when to make reservations for what things? We're interested in exploring most of what the QM2 has to offer - especially the astronomy lectures, star-gazing, different restaurants, library, the work-out gym, the spa...etc. I know the golf simulator is packed, but we'll pass on that anyway.

No problems with the seats for the lectures or plays. We did miss one of the planetarium shows the first time it was on, but it was repeated and we had no problem getting tickets then. We ate at Lotus one night rather than the Britannia (part of the Kings Court, but a la carte some evenings), for their 7 course taster menu. We phoned on the day and had no problem getting a table. The food was wonderful.

Prices

- I haven't found anywhere some info (for budgeting) about expenses of things like drinks and especially for the spa treatments.

As others have said, reasonably priced drinks. If you like martinis, sign up for the martini mixing class - $20 and you get 4 different martinis to try.

AS the Capn said, the Commodore Club is wonderful. Great for reading/coffee in the day and perfect for a pre-dinner cocktail and lovely little canapes.

Rooms

- It sounds like stateside/inside is great room. I hear though to stay away from elevators because there can be a lot of foot traffic. Any recs on particular decks or are they, in essence, all the same?

We had a sheltered balcony on Deck 6. It was almost next to an elevator and near the kids club. We had no problems with noise. Occasionally heard the "ping" of the elavator but only when we were already awake, never woke us up. I've had an inside before and that was very comfortable too. There are plenty of lovely areas to sit, and the ship never felt crowded.

You'll have a wonderful time. Join the roll call for your cruise, and you can arrange to meet for a drink.

All of the price lists, Daily Programmes, and other stuff I saved from a 2008 QM2 cruise are here in various sub-albums; ditto stuff from 2006 QM2 crossings here. If they have a waiting list for the kennels, put your cat on it, you never know. Ours had a ball.

Hi Bev, how are you both. Have you got the ring back yet or is it next week?

Hi Jim

We're fine thanks. Paul's boys are very keen to try a cruise next year!

The ring should arrive back in Southampton tomorrow. So we are expecting a call by Tuesday to sort out bringing it northwards.

Enjoy your QV taster, let us know how it goes. Does the QV have a Commodore Club?

All of the price lists, Daily Programmes, and other stuff I saved from a 2008 QM2 cruise are here in various sub-albums; ditto stuff from 2006 QM2 crossings here. If they have a waiting list for the kennels, put your cat on it, you never know. Ours had a ball.

I was only able to view the 1st page of the 1st daily programme. Does this link work? or am I messing it up?

I was only able to view the 1st page of the 1st daily programme. Does this link work? or am I messing it up?

You are not doing anything wrong. Each day's Daily Programme is a separate sub-album, but it seems that you must click on each page individually, the right and left arrows in the "Viewing m of n" pop up don't work, so to change pages you must click on the mini-page to the right of the left arrow or to the left of the right arrow. Please tell me if you have further problems, I saved all this stuff in the hopes that others might find it useful, so complain if you can't read it. Thanks.

Archived