Does the "Cruise Bug" get better/worse as time goes by?

catmand

Yes, I've also got bitten by this "bug" many years ago. It took me years to convince my mother to cruise, but once she tried Celebrity she can't stop either. After a 7 day cruise in 2003 she asked me if they had longer cruises because "7 days are not long enough at sea", imagine that! This year, in Feb, we did 10 day to Panama Canal, and guess what: she now wants a 14 days cruise. Most definitely, like a good daughter I am willing to make her happy, already booked a 7 days to spend Thanksgiving (we are definitely not cooking this year) and we are looking into doing Alaska with repositioning to Florida in Sept or October of 2005 and that will be a cruise at least 21 days long! (My boss does not know yet!)

11/04 HAL/Zuiderdam

02/04 HAL/Rotterdam

09/03 RCI/Majesty of the Seas

04/03 RCI/Navigator of the Seas

06/02 Princess/Grand Princess

05/98 Celebrity/Mercury

07/97 Celebrity/Century

06/96 Celebrity/Century

05/95 Celebrity/Zenith

06/82 Premier/Dolphin

Oh WOW!!! I definately got the bug and am addicted after our first cruise just this past month. The BEST vacation ever. It only took the one cruise to know that this is the only way to vacation and this is what we will do from now on. Talk about addiction!!!

We have already booked our next cruise Jan. 05 and in my head I have many more booked. I would have one booked sooner if I could.

I enjoyed some of the people we met on the cruise and I do miss them. Seems like they have been friends forever.

Chuck I do have hopes that we will be able to work out cruisin to Alaska together. That is my tentative plan. And I am sure you, Wanda, Rob and I will all cruise again. We really enjoyed you guys.

Chris

Hey Catmand --

I knew you would get the bug - AND, you've got it bad! Glad that Dennis and I were with you and AKA on your first cruise ... I'll be ready for another Alaska cruise in about a year I think! icon_wink.gif

Three weeks from today we set sail on the Summit, but who's counting!

Diane icon_cool.gif

Star Princess 2003, Carnival Triumph 2002, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 2001, Carnival Ecstasy 2000, Norwegian Majesty 1998, Carnival Ecstasy 1998, RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 1997, Regal Princess 1995, Carnival Holiday 1993, Emerald Seas 1991, Dolphin 1990, Britannis 1989

__ /7__X__/7________

\::::::::::::::::::::::::/ Celebrity Summit 4/30/04

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;30;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hi All,

I usually lurk with the exception of roll call boards, but I couldn't pass this topic by.

We have sailed on many cruises, 2 to 14 night cruises. And DH is the person to blame, 25th anniversary 1998, 19 cruises later the bug is and always will be biting and hanging on for dear life. Or the DNA thing could be the cause. I just know I'm glad I wear a uniform to work, it means more money for the cruise wardrobe.

What we can't understand is other family members who don't understand. that kind a does away with the DNA thing. But we kinda gave up on all the others and keep reading the CC board.

Well, Happy Happy Joy Joy...

Carlene

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;17;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Celebrity Summit - 14 day Westcoast Repo

Sun Princess 6-98,Carnival Holiday 2-99,Celebrity Galaxy 9-99, RCCL Viking Serenade 1-00, Celebrity Galaxy 5-00, R-3 Tahiti 8-00, Holiday 11-00, R-7 Med Cruise 2-01, Carnival Spirit 5-01, RCCL Radiance 5-01, Celebrity Infinity 9-01, RCCL Serenade 11-01, Ocean Princess 5-02, RCCL Radiance 5-02, Star Princess 9-02, Carnival Spirit 11-02, Carnival Spirit 04-03, Monarch of the Sea 11-03, Celebrity Mercury 01-04

The more cruises we do - the more I want to be on a cruise. In fact, I like cruising so much - I cruise for the sea days and the ship rather than the ports.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

Though I'm not brand new to the boards, I still don't know all the meanings of initials, such as DH. Can anyone give a short explanation of some of the common initials listed? Thanks! icon_eek.gif

High Seas Gal

Northern California

NCL Sky Jun. 2000 (ALASKA)

NCL Sky Aug. 2001 (ALASKA)

Princess Regal Princess Jul. 2002 (ALASKA)

NCL Sun Sep. 2003 (ALASKA)

Celebrity Mercury Oct. 2004 (Mexico)

Hi northern neighbor, I am signing in for my DH (Dear Husband). DW/dear wife, LOL/laughing out loud are a few I know. I'm sure there is someone out there that can give you the whole scoop. I have to ask catmand sometimes since he posts quite a bit and is hep to the initials.

Two we use at work/ PIA and JPN. icon_eek.gif (pain in the ***) and (just plain nuts).

akawanda

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04

Mercury Cruise Pic's 3/13/04

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

In the beginning, it is bad. It gets worse.

After one cruise, I was possessed.

After two cruises, my wife’s addiction was powerful.

We have exposed both of our children to a very habit forming variety of hedonistic pleasure. They are doomed.

There might be a genetic predisposition to this addiction. My son's friend is hooked after a single exposure -- maybe his family will be afflicted...

Who’s next???

Signed,

A guy who didn’t think he’d like it

Cruise stories, pictures and videos at chesterh.com

Last cruise, aboard the Millennium, E. Caribbean (but who's counting?)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;2;22;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Akawanda,

Thanks for the explanations! I guess you could say that I am a DW, and I have a DH, who occasionally is a PIA, and on occasion he has told me that I'm JPN! But after 38 years, we are still addicted to each other and have lots of fun together!

Chesterh,

Yes, it does get worse. I am constantly watching web sites and cruise prices, even when I know I'm not prepared to book another cruise. Surfing the web about cruises, cruising, cruise reviews, and reading these boards is taking up more and more of my time! On occasion my DH will ask from the living room if I'm going to be on the computer all night! To me, cruising is THE BEST vacation, and when you get home you go through withdrawals! If I could figure out how to have one of those countdown clocks in my signature, it would be there, because believe me I'm counting down until our next cruise ... Oct. 2004!

High Seas Gal

Northern California

NCL Sky Jun. 2000 (ALASKA)

NCL Sky Aug. 2001 (ALASKA)

Princess Regal Princess Jul. 2002 (ALASKA)

NCL Sun Sep. 2003 (ALASKA)

Celebrity Mercury Oct. 2004 (Mexico)

For me it's getting "worse" ... home one day from the last one and I am already fixated on the next one (which we booked onboard). I have my family to blame, as they took my brother and me on three incredible cruises when we were kids. I retained the love of the ocean but somehow kind of forgot about cruising ... till the cruise industry started heating up here in Seattle a few years ago ... watched the ships sail in and out every weekend for a couple summers, then started to think "Hmm, what would that be like, to cruise as a GROWNUP ... would it be claustrophobic ... would it be expensive ..." Somehow I found my way to Celebrity, and then to Cruise Critic; held my breath in hopes my husband and son would enjoy that "first" cruise (Century 9/02) ... exhaled and smiled joyously when they revealed THEY LOVED IT ... we are truly addicted. And I'm so glad there's a place like this to chat and read about the "hobby."

trc

Millennium 12/12/04

Mercury 4/04, Infinity 8/03, Century 3/03 & 9/02

Archived