So what's "not so good" to eat on Carnival?

I love good eggs benedict, but have never been lucky enough to get a good one on board. The egg yolks have been over cooked and the sauce is crusty. I've sent it back and asked for fresh made and gotten the same thing...hard yolks and crusty hollandaise sauce. I would skip this one.

• 2 months later...

Well with food being subjective to everyone's tastes I didn't care for the

Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

Escargot (flavorless to me)

To be honest the chocolate buffet didn't impress me at all, most of the deserts seemed to have an odd taste to them so I didn't eat but a bite out of any of them I tried.

I don't care for the -

*Warm melting chocolate cake (though my husband likes it). The cake was too undercooked and the filling was too runny and tasted like melted chocolate chips rather than a puddingy taste.

*Scrambled eggs on the buffet. Too watery and doesn't taste real to me, though maybe they are but have so much liquid that makes it seem that they aren't. :confused:

*The lobster bisque in the main dining room. I used to like it until trying it in the supper club. It's like night and day :eek:.

There is no reason for the main dining room lobster bisque to be so bad. Cost is not such a big factor when you have such talented chefs as Carnival employs. I'm sure they could come up with a more acceptable version of the soup for the main dining room.

Isn't that the truth! IMO, even the worst meal on a cruise ship is better than the best meal I make at home!

Oh dear! Remind me not to come by your place for dinner! LOL Just kidding!! I'm sure you aren't giving your own cooking enough credit. :D

Overall, I love the food!

But since you asked, I will not bother with the following anymore:

Apples (haven't had a nice one on board ever)

Eggs Benedict (overcooked each of the several times I've ordered, I usually forget by the next cruise, hence re-ordering)

Nachos at the grill (deep fried, heavy not my taste)

Chocolate buffet (disappointing)

Eggplant Parmigianna - I agree, there is just too much cheese, and I LOVE cheese.

Other things can be hit and miss at times, like the pasta, or steak, but I have never left a meal unhappy. I'm not a big fan of dessert, so unless there is a creme brulee or a creme caramel, I take the cheese. mmm.

I know its to each their own, but my Best Friend is the Executive Chef at Ruths Chris in savannah ga. He once told me never order a steak more than med-rare. I think alot of the problems with the steaks on carnival is that they are overcooked past this point.

Also its funny how subjective this has become, just look at the best of carnival food thread and the exact same foods are on it.

I know its to each their own, but my Best Friend is the Executive Chef at Ruths Chris in savannah ga. He once told me never order a steak more than med-rare. I think alot of the problems with the steaks on carnival is that they are overcooked past this point.

Also its funny how subjective this has become, just look at the best of carnival food thread and the exact same foods are on it.

I LOVE Ruths Chris!

Anyways, the cheesecake and warm chocolate melting cake.

1) Lido deck coffee sucks

2) Lido breakfast runny eggs are terrible, bagels, toast are stone cold

3) Beef wellington and fried chicken are horrible.

4) Melting cake is undercooked, tastes awful

5) Chocolate buffet is dissappointing

5) Steaks are hit and miss

6) DR Eggs benedict are so so

The sushi: Nothing fresh and raw...just smoked or cured. The Ell was the best offering. For a better 'tuna fix' the Fish and Bar on the lido has cured tuna cubes on watermelon. Very shashimi like...served with wasabi and ginger. The 'sushi' bar is a little below supermarket stuff...but they serve sake.

The Tea: not very good n the lido..a little better in the MDR. Even the afternoon 'tea' only has lipton tea bags. BYOB(ags).

The hor dourves from 'bon voyage gift' dept. Had some friends get some and they were very.....moist..okay soggy, pasty tasteless things. Nothing great to speak off.

The current version of the MDR filet mignon is DISGUSTING. I now go to the supper club every cruise to get a real filet.

Up until this year, the filet in the MDR was better than decent. In January, we noticed that it was a fraction of the size (more like a medallion), it was very fatty and had a lot of gristle (unusual for a good filet, which will usually have NO gristle) and was generally very tough. To make up for the size difference, they now serve it on a pile of short ribs, which were stringy, flavorless and were basically a pile of slop.

I gave Carnival the benefit of the doubt and decided to try it again in May, thinking January's experience was an anomaly, but it was just as bad. If anyone at Carnival is reading this, CHANGE BACK THE FILET MIGNON!

Here's a photo comparison of the past few years (a benefit of taking pictures of your food: seeing change over time)...

2006:

IMG_3081.jpg

2007:

CIMG0614.jpg

2008:

CIMG1586.jpg

1/2009:

P1282014.jpg

5/2009:

DSC_0952.jpg

You gotta be brave to post in this one...:eek:

Okay, I'm feeling brave. I finally tried the warm choc melting cake this last cruise, twice. It just tasted like an under cooked regular cake to me. Not good.

Now I will go run for cover and not come out until Thanksgiving.

You don't have to run for cover from me. I totally agree. Your description of the taste was right on the money.

Kayla

On our 2nd to last night on our 5 day Inspiration cruise last year, there was an appetizer on the menu. It said it was tomatoes and cheese, but the description made it sound like it would be stewed tomatoes in melted cheese or something like that. I got the dish, and it was just sliced tomatoes and sliced cheese. The tomatoes tasted old and the cheese was horrible..I would stay away from that.(sent it back for 2 dishes of crab cakes, best thing I ever did!)

I also found the melting cake to be too rich for me. I can handle it for one night, maybe 2..but not everynight.

Of course, you're not a true carnival cruiser untill you have had the melting cake:D:D

You gotta be brave to post in this one...:eek:

Okay, I'm feeling brave. I finally tried the warm choc melting cake this last cruise, twice. It just tasted like an under cooked regular cake to me. Not good.

Now I will go run for cover and not come out until Thanksgiving.

You are not alone. I felt the same way about it.;)

not a big fan of the creme brule.

On the glory in April the top was very hardened and a bit too sweet for me and the rest was very runny underneath

I happen to like the Warm chocolate melting cake

I think whatever you like in a restaurant, you will like on board and vice versa.

I don't like duck or grouper, so I'm not going to like them on board no matter how they fix them.

I do love CMCake, and Bitter and Blanc. Not enough of a chocoholic to like the choco buffet.

I haven't found anything bad with the food, just certain foods I wouldn't eat anyway - yuck - liver, duck - ewwwww :D But I'll eat escargot!

The lobster is not the lobster I'm used to, it is tough and bland. But on our last Freedom cruise they served Maine lobster - now that's a lobster - sweet and succulent!

Someone else cooking and serving and cleaning up, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

Archived