Fishing in Key West

VABeach

My dad wants to go tarpin fishing in Key West. He was worried that the excursion through RCCL would have too many people on it and was thinking about a private charter with just him and my husband. Has anyone ever done either one? Any suggestions as to which would be better? Is going through RCCL going to "ruin" the whole trip? - There's a big difference in money. Dad wants to spend it, hubby doesn't. Please help!:o

Did the trip thru RCCL this last June and it was great. There were 5 of us fishing on the boat, but rotated out fishing 3 at a time. We hooked 5 or 6 , most around 40-50 lbs. One broke off after about a 30 minute fight (guide estimated it at about 100 lbs.). I will look for the guides card at work tomorrow and give his contact info. He may charter out direct to you. :)

Here is the post I posted previously with the info.

If the charter is for a boat it would be for the whole boat (probably up to 4 people) for about 4 hours. I did the KW "light tackle" fishing thru RCCL the first part of June and it was great. We hooked 6 tarpon but only got 2 to the boat (both about 40-50 lbs), but one that was hooked went about 100# and we fought it at least 30 minutes before it got away.

The guide we had was Capt. John Burns @ 305-923-0122. You may check with him and see how the fishing should be when you go. It was a lot better fishing than I had expected before I went. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Because of limited time at Key West, we booked through RCCL. It's $139.00 pp.

Dad and the DH are going. Your info. made the decision for him. He thought there were going to be about 20 people on the boat, but your post put him to rest. Thanks!:)

This fishing trip was the only reason he decided to go on the cruise with us, and this will be their first vacation EVER. I can't wait to see the look on their face when they see the ship for the first time.:D

• 3 months later...

SpringTXBill, I need help!!!

Originally we booked the excursion through RCCL. Then they took Key West off the schedual and gave us our money back. Now they have put Key West back on the schedual, but are not including the fishing trip as an excursion.:mad:

Do you have any contact info. for Captian John other than phone, like an e-mail maybe? My husband doesn't get off work until late at night and can't call long distance from work.

Do you have any other suggestions that might help them get on a Tarpon trip with this late notice??? Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Jenny

The guy I went with in March was with Pat Boo-ya Fishing Team 305-292-6692. He knows John and between them maybe they can set up a shared boat or something and know why RCCL canceled them. Tell him I was there on the 22nd when we had that 150 pounder on. :) Good luck finding something.

We left a message for Capt. John on Friday, but haven't heard anything back from him yet. Maybe it's because it's the weekend that he hasn't called us back yet???

Billy wanted to talk to him before he tried to make plans with the other guy first, but we will be calling him if we don't hear back from John.

RCCL can't give me an answer about why they took off the shore excursions. I don't know why since we're there for the exact same time period we were originaly schedualed for. They did give us three shore excursion options: 1) Wildlife Rescuse, 2) Pirate Musem. 3) Hemmingway House.:rolleyes:

Grrrrr. It was soooooo frustrating when they took Key West of the schedual. Now I think it would be even more frustrating to put it back on and the guys not get to go fishing; especially since we actually had that excursion booked and paid for already - through RCCL.

Betweeen the schedual changes, the shore excursion changes and the big hole in the side of the ship, this is getting really frustrating.

Thanks so much for all of your help. If they do get to fish, it will be because of your help. - Thanks.:)

BTW, 150 pounder!!! Holy Moly!:eek: :D

Yea, a kid that just happened to be from my wife's school fought it for about an hour before it finally broke off. He got it right under the boat in 20 ft of water about 3 or 4 times and then it would take off. We ended up drifting 1-1/2 miles while fighting it. The guide said it was the biggest he had seen this year and the couple of times it jumped, it was awesome. :)

We got in touch with Captain John and he had an opening on the day we are going.:) The guys are happy about going fishing.

He doesn't contract directly with RCCL (he's a sub-contractor for the main contractor) so he didn't know anything about why our trip was canceled.

Thanks again for all of your help. You're the best.:D

Archived