Room Service ?

NKG6002

I was told that with Freestyle Dining on NCL ships there is a charge for room service. We are sailing on the Jade this month....how much is the charge for room service ? Thanks in advance !!! :D

I was told that with Freestyle Dining on NCL ships there is a charge for room service. We are sailing on the Jade this month....how much is the charge for room service ? Thanks in advance !!! :D

Absolutely no charge for room service but Haynes is correct in telling you to tip the delivery guy. We usually give him/her between 2-6 bucks depending on size of the order.

2nd tip for you: whatever is served in main dining can be ordered also. Just ask.

We particulary enjoyed on the Crown's room service menu the tea sandwiches, chicken casear salad, the mini pizzas, and the fast service. Enjoy!!! :p

Thanks for the replies ;) This is my first cruise with NCL and was surprised when friends told me that NCL charges for room service. My grandsons are SO looking forward to having room service and getting food whenever they want...lol.

Thanks for the replies ;) This is my first cruise with NCL and was surprised when friends told me that NCL charges for room service. My grandsons are SO looking forward to having room service and getting food whenever they want...lol.

Note this, though! There ARE some items on the room service menu for which there are charges: These are generally "plates" or larger quantities of things you'd likely order if you were having a small gathering in your room, for example. YOu wouldn't want your grandsons to find these things and order them! :)

room service is great...and free. just tip one or two bucks depending on the order. we didn't use it a whole lot but i found that it was a great way to get my morning cup of coffee w/o leaving my cabin. other than that, i'm way too curious about what's going on outside my cabin to eat there. i might miss something!

Hmmmm. This makes me wonder what else your friends have told you about NCL. :eek:

.......2nd tip for you: whatever is served in main dining can be ordered also. Just ask.

On the Majesty last year, my friend got back from a night scuba diving trip around 8:00. She was tired, wet and wanted room service. She asked about ordering what was being served in the main dinig room since she wanted more of a meal. She was told she was limited to what was on the room service menu.:(

From what I've read the only line that charges for room service is RCCL. I believe it's a $3.95 surcharge for orders between midnight and 5 a.m., the rest of the time it is free unless otherwise marked on the room service menu. (And I just realized that I never even looked at the room service menu on the Sky two weeks ago. Aw well, I'll have to book a cruise for next year to rectify that.)

On the Majesty last year, my friend got back from a night scuba diving trip around 8:00. She was tired, wet and wanted room service. She asked about ordering what was being served in the main dinig room since she wanted more of a meal. She was told she was limited to what was on the room service menu.:(

Yes, that is right. The previous poster was wrong. Room service menus are usually more limited than the menus in the main dining room, both on ships and in hotels that have dining rooms.

OP... PLEASE try a PB&J through room service... I have posted this so many times.. but it is true.. LOL.. I don't know what they do to them but NCL makes the best PB&J's. I know for a while you couldn't get them onboard due to the peanut butter scare here in the States, but hopefully by the time you sail they will offer them again. If they don't have them by the time we sail in Nov I will be so sad.. 8-).

Hope you have a great time on your first cruise.

OH..and what the other poster said about being able to order what was being served in the main dining room, that is actually true for some cruiselines, just not NCL. Not in general at least.

Perhaps if you're in one of the high-end suites with butler service, the butler can get you food from the main dining room. But "regular" cabin room service is indeed limited.

I'm laughing about the peanut-butter and jelly thing. I don't eat those when I'm home; they certainly wouldn't be on my list of must-order! :)

Yes, that is right. The previous poster was wrong.

I thought they were but also thought maybe it might be different on the Majesty for some reason.

I'm laughing about the peanut-butter and jelly thing. I don't eat those when I'm home; they certainly wouldn't be on my list of must-order! :)

I don't either but I will be ordering one to see why Terry is always raving about them.:)

Perhaps if you're in one of the high-end suites with butler service, the butler can get you food from the main dining room. But "regular" cabin room service is indeed limited.

LOL.. I laugh about it too.. eheheehe.. I NEVER have one at home.. maybe that is why they are so good to me...

I don't either but I will be ordering one to see why Terry is always raving about them.:)

Can't wait until you get back and tell me if you liked them as much as I do. Every time I post that about the PB&J's I feel like Monte talking about his beloved hot dogs..LOL

For most room service, there is no charge (except tipping), but there is a portion of the menu (special occassion menu items and drinks other than coffee, tea, or milk) that you are charged for. Suites have additional menu items that are free, I am told (cannot speak from experience :().

DT

There is no charge for room service. But you should tip the deliverer a dollar or two depending on the size of the order.

Before accepting the order make sure it is correct. Sometimes room service people will put the wrong thing on the tray and deliver it.

Before accepting the order make sure it is correct. Sometimes room service people will put the wrong thing on the tray and deliver it.

I have the same problem everywhere I order food. In every restaurant and on every cruise ship. But I am not so negative to mention it in response to a room service question. I figure everyone checks the delivery anyway. And if its not correct one can easily reorder.....

Just off the Jade, and the room service menus are very limited for non-suite guests. (We saw the suite room service menu--wow big difference!) We never used the room service, mainly because we liked getting up and going out, but also because the selection was so limited.

Archived