Are cruises transferrable?

MamaParrotHead

RCI sells travel insurance that will allow you to cancel pretty late in the game, without any questions asked, and you'll get a 75% refund. I'm not sure if Carnival offers the same, and am not sure if you can add it on after you've booked your trip (RCI won't).

I have been told recently by ATA and AA that you can't change airline tickets once they are booked. Its a regulation from after 9/11. The airline will cancel your ticket and give you a voucher. Maybe it is different if you book airfare thru the cruiseline. Doesn't hurt to call and ask...

Yes, you can add/delete/change names at basically any time up until about a week-10 days prior to your cruise. The earlier you do it, the better, of course. There are a few execeptions to this practice, but just exchanging two names for two more shouldn't be a problem.

As for the airline tickets, if you booked them yourself, there are no refunds or name changes...airlines are very, very firm about this...unless, of course, you paid a lot more for refundable/changable tickets.

If you booked them through the cruise line, you may have some recourse as long as you change the names prior to them actually purchasing your airline tickets. Contact Carnival to be certain.

Best of luck! If anything, your friends will have paid for a cruise they can't go on...which means you and your hubby will have a fabulous cruise by yourselves!! :-)

From what I understand, you can do a name change but you cannot change everyone's name in the cabin, this would require a cancellation and re-booking... then again, this is just what happened to me and I'm sure they make the rules up as they go along :o

Goin - I think you're right.

I was thinking that ONE of the other couple would just take someone else with them on the cruise...y'know, sister, brother, best friend...that way, only a name change would be in order.

You have until final payment to change your mind- hopefully your agent wont charge you a cancellation fee. The cruise lines dont.

The couple will be stuck with the air line tickets if they got restricted tickets.

A frequent flier I know says that she has gotten refunds on non-cancellable airline tickets by paying a small fee to upgrade to full fare, perhaps with a change of date and time, then later she cancels and gets a refund. Don't know if this still works, or if it works with all airlines, but it might be worth exploring.

Archived